Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. The elusive question. I have a 2018 Ram 3500 dually with factory rear air suspension and I have called everyone under the sun for shocks. I want to replace all 5 with the same brand. NOBODY seems to know this answer. The only thing I can assume is the factory shock with the air bags are a softer shock. Other than that I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas or has tried something please let me know.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Hard to believe this dilemma is still going on almost a decade later since the air trucks were introduced. I believe the same "issue" is present with the 2500s on bags too.
That said, there are 2 easy ways to find shocks that fit since the internet is of no use.
1. Compare to a non air assist truck and see if they're the same. (Because practically idk how they could be different dimensions)
2. Remove a shock, measure collapsed, extended length and mounting bolt sleeve diameter and then match them up.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
15,115 Posts
3500 air suspension is different that 2500 air suspension. On the 3500s you have air helper springs, on the 2500s the air bags are your springs, you should be able to run standard 3500 shocks without an issue, but you can check with CJC or Carli as well @Rhinopkc @cjcoffroad @OCVeloMan

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
So update. I was right the rear with the factory air leaf helper springs require a softer shock. So far only KYB makes them or factory mopar. which is $375 a pc.
So dimensionally the same, but softer valving? If so, Fck it, just buy some shocks, pick your favorite.
That doesn't make sense (not you, the fact that they'd be softer). It's a 1 ton truck. Too much tire pressure for the load and initial spring rate have far more effect than a set of plain ole shocks.
$100ish a piece gets you some Bilsteins or for a few bucks more you can try your luck with Rancho 9000s if you may want to soften the compression damping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So dimensionally the same, but softer valving? If so, Fck it, just buy some shocks, pick your favorite.
That doesn't make sense (not you, the fact that they'd be softer). It's a 1 ton truck. Too much tire pressure for the load and initial spring rate have far more effect than a set of plain ole shocks.
$100ish a piece gets you some Bilsteins or for a few bucks more you can try your luck with Rancho 9000s if you may want to soften the compression damping.
I just ordered fox 2.0 all 5 and be done with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts