Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
In the experience of owning my '14 since brand new you would be better off putting that $1,800 in a savings account or a stock portfolio (since interest rates are so low right now). I had to put new ball joints in my truck at 85,000 miles at the cost of ~$1,200 IIRC. I used my truck offroad a lot so you probably won't have to do this. I also had the turbo actuator replaced at 97,000 miles but that was covered by the powertrain warranty. Like others have mentioned it is a gamble. If you give FCA the $1,800 they are going to invest it so you might as well do it for yourself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the extended warranty and wish I hadn't (though I think it was only $1200- did you contact the guy recommended here on the forum? I think my dealer said $1800 but I got it much cheaper). Not much seems to go wrong with these trucks. I am at 73k miles and have coverage until 100k so it gives some peace of mind, but I am likely to lose on the warranty purchase. If the emissions stuff goes wrong it is great excuse to remove it which is a lot cheaper than fixing it anyway. I say pass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 8/120k Maxcare. I've used it once on a $6,800 turbo replacement. Turbo started failing 4 months beyond the factory powertrain warranty.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts