Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed my 2018 3500 has no rear reading lights; only a single rear dome with no switch. Is there at least a replacement light with a switch so rear passengers can see without having to turn all the interior lights on?

Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
That light works as a reading light, you just have to push one side of it to turn it on, at least on my truck.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
So I've noticed my 2018 3500 has no rear reading lights; only a single rear dome with no switch. Is there at least a replacement light with a switch so rear passengers can see without having to turn all the interior lights on?

Thanks
Yes, there is a switch, you just push in on the lens to turn it on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My truck is a tradesman. There's just one rear dome light, all the way at the back of the roof. It comes on when you open the doors or turn on "all lights" from the dimmer switch. You can't push it as it's just hard plastic.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
My truck is a tradesman. There's just one rear dome light, all the way at the back of the roof. It comes on when you open the doors or turn on "all lights" from the dimmer switch. You can't push it as it's just hard plastic.
They are all hard plastic, have you tried pushing on it?

And, they are all single lamps at the rear center of the cab.

If the tradesman doesn't have this type of lamp, then I guess you could get one from a higher trim level truck and install it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I have tried pushing it. I took my Harley to work today; I'll try it later. That would be cool if it had the push switch. I had passengers the other night looking for a light back there.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Terrible shot, taken during the process of installing Katzkin leather, but you can see the light above the passenger headrest in the shot:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Here's a pic of the one in my truck, on the driver side end of the lens is a "+" intended to indicate where to push on the lens to turn it on, but you can push on the middle as well.

I'd be very surprised if yours isn't just like this.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys, mine doesn't have the push function. I have a well equipped Tradesman too, basically every Tradesman option. Here's a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
That's just ridiculous that RAM would do them that way.

Well, guess you can get a light assembly from a higher trim level and put it in there.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have a link to what I need online?

·
Registered
794 Posts
If I were you, go ahead and order an LED bulb as well and throw that in there before you mount it up.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
Well guys, mine doesn't have the push function. I have a well equipped Tradesman too, basically every Tradesman option. Here's a pic:
I'd make sure there is a hot wire up there first, as the present light is wired through the door switch.....:confused013:

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I'd make sure there is a hot wire up there first, as the present light is wired through the door switch.....:confused013:

Sam
Not run through the door switch. Straight to the bcm. The bcm determines if the door is open to turn the light on. Otherwise the on off switch on the light itself is a simple switch and a function of the light fixture itself.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
Not run through the door switch. Straight to the bcm. The bcm determines if the door is open to turn the light on. Otherwise the on off switch on the light itself is a simple switch and a function of the light fixture itself.
Regardless of where the power comes from (door switch/bcm etc.) won't new light need always on power to the switch to operate with the doors closed?

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Regardless of where the power comes from (door switch/bcm etc.) won't new light need always on power to the switch to operate with the doors closed?

Sam
There’s two driver wires to the rear dome lamp. The courtesy lamp driver, which turns the lights on when the doors are opened, and the reading lamps driver, which is what makes the map lights come on when you press them. If the overhead console is present (which I already know he has), then the reading lamps driver wire is already present on the headliner harness connector for the rear dome lamp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts