Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 2500 Laramie Mega and I've been running into some questionable problems, I have an idea but want to know from you guys. 68rfe. When I accelerate normal or just let off the pedal it will usually make a clunk/pop noise everytime. Also when I hit a dip or bump theres ratlling in the steering column. Like I said, I have a few ideas of what it could be but looking for 2nd opinions. Tires are 35x20 KO2s if that helps anything... what tires, etc. are you guys using for max towing? Thanks .

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
By the title I thought you were having problems with the cab.

Mine only makes any driveline clunking noise or clunk feel if I let off suddenly during a pull.

Mine also makes a clunk that runs up through the steering column sometimes over off-camber bumps, not sure where the slack is, thinking maybe the springs moving in the pockets.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This set up has massive amount of drive line slack... Ask me how I know..... A one piece drive shaft helped a lot, but there is still a lot of slack. between the backlash in the diff, and the 68rfe and the long drivetrain, there's slop. Enjoy it.... check your ujoints and make sure you don't have pinion play and call it a day. The steering column could be a 1,437 different things. We will need more info to figure that out. Whats the status on your suspension? stock, aftermarket?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Check that middle coupler/bracket. I guess that is what was causing clunks in my drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Reactions: sargenthp

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I thought they did away with the 2 piece drive shaft years ago? My 16 mega is a 1 piece.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
My 16 mega is a 2 piece

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This set up has massive amount of drive line slack... Ask me how I know..... A one piece drive shaft helped a lot, but there is still a lot of slack. between the backlash in the diff, and the 68rfe and the long drivetrain, there's slop. Enjoy it.... check your ujoints and make sure you don't have pinion play and call it a day. The steering column could be a 1,437 different things. We will need more info to figure that out. Whats the status on your suspension? stock, aftermarket?
Stock suspension. Ive noticed lately while im holding mph it starts to jerk back and forth. Not violently but it does shake your body. And when it gets ready to shift gears, the rpm drags out 100-200rpm or so before it shifts up. If i had to put a sound to it, it'd be like this 🤣 mmmmmmMMMshiftmmmm

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
Stock suspension. Ive noticed lately while im holding mph it starts to jerk back and forth. Not violently but it does shake your body. And when it gets ready to shift gears, the rpm drags out 100-200rpm or so before it shifts up. If i had to put a sound to it, it'd be like this 🤣 mmmmmmMMMshiftmmmm
Shift flare is normal on the 68RFE, it's the converter unlocking and relocking during the shift. One of the aftermarket fixes is a lower stall speed converter to keep the rpm's from jumping during the shift.

It is normally not a problem, mine has been doing it for over 550k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shift flare is normal on the 68RFE, it's the converter unlocking and relocking during the shift. One of the aftermarket fixes is a lower stall speed converter to keep the rpm's from jumping during the shift.

It is normally not a problem, mine has been doing it for over 550k miles.
So nothing sounds too serious with everything that im noticing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts