Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel crew cab. I put on a 2.5" leaving spacer and I tow a 5th will trailer . Its 10k plus and the truck barely sags.Its a daily driver and never go's off road. But im thinking of changing lift to a 4.5 " Zone with new radius arms or BDS 6". The problem Im having is the BDS comes with new rear coil springs. I dont what the truck sagging more then with the factory coils. Also I like the way my truck rides smooth. Will the truck ride hard with either one of these lifts. Any advice would help
Thanks Rego

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
so you wanna modify a truck you bought and paid for. a lot of people around here will have issues with that.

i got a 4.5" zone lift and when i did i specifically ordered it with rear 4.5" lift coils. believe it or not, most of the lift kits you order will lift a truck level. for instance, if you order a 4.5" lift kit the front coils are 4.5" and the rear coils or spacer is essentially 2-2.5" to get a level look. i like the factory rake and tow so i made sure i got tthe 4.5" front coils and 4.5" rear coils. about a year later i did my research and found out that the 4.5" and the 6.5" kit have all the same hardware as far as radius arm drops and track bar brackets, so i just installed 2" front spacers and 1.5" rear spacers.

now for the trailer........ many people have 4-6" lifts and tow 5th wheels. you have to be more careful for sure, but most importantly you have to have the trailer lifted as well. you can do spring over axle, you can build a subframe, but if you go that route make sure you have some lateral support built in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you wanna modify a truck you bought and paid for. a lot of people around here will have issues with that.

i got a 4.5" zone lift and when i did i specifically ordered it with rear 4.5" lift coils. believe it or not, most of the lift kits you order will lift a truck level. for instance, if you order a 4.5" lift kit the front coils are 4.5" and the rear coils or spacer is essentially 2-2.5" to get a level look. i like the factory rake and tow so i made sure i got tthe 4.5" front coils and 4.5" rear coils. about a year later i did my research and found out that the 4.5" and the 6.5" kit have all the same hardware as far as radius arm drops and track bar brackets, so i just installed 2" front spacers and 1.5" rear spacers.

now for the trailer........ many people have 4-6" lifts and tow 5th wheels. you have to be more careful for sure, but most importantly you have to have the trailer lifted as well. you can do spring over axle, you can build a subframe, but if you go that route make sure you have some lateral support built in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K9Kodi
Did the Zone 4.5" give a better ride then factory or is it harder. What would you have done differently on you build.
Yes im going to do something with the axles and change from a 15 to a 16 rim witch will allow me to go with a taller tire
Thanks Rego

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
i'm happy with the zone, it's a sister company to bds and bds is pretty good stuff. people will compare companies like bds to carli or thuren when you should realize that's apples to oranges. they are different modifications for sure. would i do anytbjnt differently...maybe if i had the money i would have gone with the new radius arms as opposed to the radius arm drops, the geometry is the same but the ease of installation is nicer and having some drops can look odd to some. if i were to set my coils sprung rear ended up for towing i would go level, id get heavier duty sway bar and airbags and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What size tires are you looking to run? 37s easily fit with 3” front and 1” rear, could run soft rate springs in the rear with bags and get the best of both worlds. If I was towing a 5th wheel id be looking for the least amount of lift to clear the tires I wanted to run.

I pieced together the suspension for my 3500 SRW to get what I feel is the best of everything. Carli 3” front coils, DOR adjustable bent 4 link long arms, Thuren sway bar, carli 1” rear add a packs (you’d get 1” springs of choice here and bags ideally) and fox 2.0s all around.

The only thing I feel could be improved on is king shocks and Carli full leaf packs for the rear with their long travel air bags but I’m very happy with the way my truck rides.

Also if you’re looking to run 37”+ tires you’ll also want to regear the axles to take the added strain off the drivetrain that larger tires cause, especially while towing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going with 35 on 20×10 and fox2.0. Was going with the remote reservoir that has the light blue adjustment nob but was told thery dont make them for rears on 2018.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Why would you want that much lift for just 35s? There’ll be quite a bit of empty wheel well. 35s fit with full clearance with less then a level. Add some good leveling springs with rear bags and you’ll be set. Plus no dicking around with the 5th wheel.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
if you only want 35s, 4.5" would be the max to look decent.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
i'm happy with the zone, it's a sister company to bds and bds is pretty good stuff. people will compare companies like bds to carli or thuren when you should realize that's apples to oranges. they are different modifications for sure. would i do anytbjnt differently...maybe if i had the money i would have gone with the new radius arms as opposed to the radius arm drops, the geometry is the same but the ease of installation is nicer and having some drops can look odd to some. if i were to set my coils sprung rear ended up for towing i would go level, id get heavier duty sway bar and airbags and call it a day.
They all kinda do the same thing. I had issues with Carli which the part was eventually recalled. Have had no issues with BDS. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of them. I'd even buy Carli again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts