Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Most of my trailers are loaded down with equipment and materials. They weigh in at 8-10k after materials loaded etc.
No need for compounds at 10k.

Reactions: (5G)

·
Registered
597 Posts
What did you go with, or would you recommend with 10k below daily tow?
I did a 3rd gen 5.9 swap with a DPS 64/74 in a 14CM housing. If I were to do it all over again I would do a s467.7 or something closer to that. I fight high EGT's when towing 60 - 68 mph but over that and the temps come down, yeah I know its not safe. I tow a 18k, 41' 5th wheel toyhauler at 70 - 75 mph with no issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
New member here, looking to get some good options on tuners/tunes for my 2017. Any advice you guys have please post below. Thanks!
Didn't see any mention of "deletes" in the question. I guess I missed the memo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeah I don’t have those type of issues as of yet with the towing I do 18k is some good weight. I’ve got the 6.7 of course they say the 351 that’s on the 6.7 once tuned are pretty damn good. @Digit09

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
Didn't see any mention of "deletes" in the question. I guess I missed the memo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If you had read every post you would understand how we got here.
Especially the Quote in post 4

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Lol

Reactions: (5G) and tryNto

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Good for you???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I ended up going with Calibrated Power Smarty MM3 with UDC Custom Tuning for the 17. Got the EGT probe and Custom trans tuning as well to cover all grounds. Pretty excited for this to come through. Picked up an S&B cold air, BD throttle Sensitivity Booster and MBRP 5” DPF back.

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
Good, you found something that will work for what you are wanting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have some free time tonight to install my smarty mm3. Anyone had any issues emailing your stock files after business hours? Is this an automated email? I’m going through Calibrated Power.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Got my tunes early this morning and had them installed just now. For those using the MM3 what level do you guys start at to let that transmission adjust? I’m in “street” now but half wondering if “performance” would be better of the two. I’ll be using the “tow” tomorrow for over 600 miles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don’t have any input on Calibrated Powers tuning but after flashing the ECM go easy on the throttle for the first couple hundred miles, get lots and lots of up and down shifts in from a cold transmission to a warm transmission then start putting in kickdown shifts. The transmissions adaptive settings need to stabilize and it takes shifts at certain conditions for it all to happen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I don’t have any input on Calibrated Powers tuning but after flashing the ECM go easy on the throttle for the first couple hundred miles, get lots and lots of up and down shifts in from a cold transmission to a warm transmission then start putting in kickdown shifts. The transmissions adaptive settings need to stabilize and it takes shifts at certain conditions for it all to happen.
I’ve only got the throttle up to around 40% I’ve been babying it since this morning. I’ll keep this all in mind this evening when driving around to get the kids from school and stuff. Tomorrow is the big day, I’ll be running it about 700 miles north with a trailer. I’ve always been told that a tow is a good way to get a transmission going, idk if that’s the same for a fresh tune.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Your adaptives only adjust so much per key cycle. I find if towing really soon after a flash, the shifts hit harder for quite awhile when aren’t towing anymore. At least that’s what I’ve noticed when flashing in changes mid towing. Towing will help with getting adaptives to adjust in the higher torque range but if you aren’t getting lots of up/down shifts, you aren’t much adaptive adjustments. Adjustments only occur when shifting and different ones require different trans temps or kickdown to adjust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Your adaptives only adjust so much per key cycle. I find if towing really soon after a flash, the shifts hit harder for quite awhile when aren’t towing anymore. At least that’s what I’ve noticed when flashing in changes mid towing. Towing will help with getting adaptives to adjust in the higher torque range but if you aren’t getting lots of up/down shifts, you aren’t much adaptive adjustments. Adjustments only occur when shifting and different ones require different trans temps or kickdown to adjust.
I’ll bare that in mind while towing tomorrow. Of course it’ll all be interstate, but if you’ve ever taken I-65 you know there may be a lot of up and down shifting 😂🤣. I drove it 45mins/35 miles or so up to my brothers and back home and noticed a big difference on the way back. Still babying the throttle and probably won’t really get in it until I’m at my destination tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I’ll be sure to do a review in this thread with CP tagged once I get it all running good. So far I couldn’t be more happier, I could tell a difference on first start up in sound and throttle sensitivity right out the gate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Just some quick pics of the installs over the past 3 days. MBRP 5” Exhaust with the 8” tip, S&B Cold Air and the Smarty/MM3 CP tuner with the custom UDC tuning and trans tuning. Still need to install the EGT probe, that’ll get done this coming weekend. I’ll have to drill/tap the manifold.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts