Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
3 years is good for oem batteries, mine went south at about 2 years.

Replace them with a good name brand AGM battery.

·
Registered
540 Posts
there is a lot of things that can make a battery fail sooner or last longer
these modern vehicles draw a lot of power , when being parked, add in start ups and short drives and you can run things down often and never fully re charge them

so, life of battery will be effected a lot on how the vehicle is used, cared for and stored or not
vehicles that sit often anymore really should have BOTH batteries on a maintainer IMO! if your looking to get max life out of them!

I replaced my OEM one's from Bosh, got them from PEP BOYS< they were about a 100 bucks cheaper than any other auto parts place/store and came with a 4 yr warranty
HAD to BUY online, and then go to store and they installed them(that was part of deal, if i WANTED to install, they raised the price, go figure was cheaper to have them install them than me??)

·
Registered
621 Posts
there is a lot of things that can make a battery fail sooner or last longer
these modern vehicles draw a lot of power , when being parked, add in start ups and short drives and you can run things down often and never fully re charge them

so, life of battery will be effected a lot on how the vehicle is used, cared for and stored or not
vehicles that sit often anymore really should have BOTH batteries on a maintainer IMO! if your looking to get max life out of them!

I replaced my OEM one's from Bosh, got them from PEP BOYS< they were about a 100 bucks cheaper than any other auto parts place/store and came with a 4 yr warranty
HAD to BUY online, and then go to store and they installed them(that was part of deal, if i WANTED to install, they raised the price, go figure was cheaper to have them install them than me??)
Exactly what I did 6 months ago, great batteries so far!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Anything but Optima....
I got 9& 11 years respectively out of a pair of Odyssey batteries in the 07 Ram. If you want to spend alot of money for fancy batteries that's what I'd be looking at.

Just replaced them last month after they dies with a pair of $99/ea Exides from Homie Deport. Will see how long $200 starts the truck vs $600.

·
Registered
540 Posts
optima batteries are not made to the standards they once were, the company changed hands a while back, and most folks that once loved them and felt there added costs were worth it, no longer do
unless you need to mount it in some crazy position, IMO< there not worth the costs!

used to use them yrs back and they were great batteries, and very strong , but last one's, were far from what they used to be!
feel free to look into things on them, before buying again!

and also, keep in mind, trying to compare(or even just use as an example) how long batteries lasted in a 2007 ram, to a modern truck with so many draws all the time, is, not a fair compassion!

sadly new vehicles are over loaded with power drains when parked and running!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up with the duralast batteries and installed them last night.

The last question I have is do I need the thermoshield, should I get a full battery blanket or forego it all together?

·
Registered
540 Posts
my truck came with factory insulation blankets on batteries, and I would want or add them if mine didn't have them'
the point of the blankets is to help in both HOT and LOW temps
to help keep a battery more stable

if you live in a place that temps drop below freezing, I would almost say there a MUST have, and if you lived in a extremely cold area, for long periods of time, I would even add heaters under or around the batteries
I know I keep heated battery blankets on my Heavy Equipment for plowing, and it sure helps them fire up on colder mornings(also run block heaters or oil pan heaters on things too for extreme cold starts!
and again, in extreme heat areas, the insulators work the other way to keep motor heat and such off batteries?

so, a lot might depend on where you live at as to what you should/.need

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Yea, I did. I had to rip them off to get to the handle for the battery.
Well, that shouldn't have been necessary, once you take the clamp loose from the battery base the cover should slip off without tearing it up.

I would definitely replace them.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
And you have two choices , Flooded batteries like OEM shipped them with, or AGM , the choice is yours and yours alone. The AGM's are not magic.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Well, that shouldn't have been necessary, once you take the clamp loose from the battery base the cover should slip off without tearing it up.

I would definitely replace them.
Why?

My '99 F-150 came with the battery in a plastic box. I think. I don't believe it was wrapped in a felt-like dealio. Pretty sure it was in a plastic box.

When I replaced the battery with a TOTALLY worthless Optima, I threw the box away and never gave it another thought.

When I put a new hot-weather Diehard in my 2013 F-150, I threw away whatever nonsense it was wrapped in and went about my business. (shoulda pulled that battery, it was one month old)

Maybe our Cummins Diesel are different. But I don't know why.

Vibration, maybe? That's about it as far as I can cipher. They fer darn sure won't keep anything warm or cool. No way, no how. Maybe for the first five minutes of the engine running but after that -- No way.

Personally, I think the OEM batteries are wrapped for appearance purposes. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know why because, sometimes, it's a 24ct PITA to put those things back on.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My factory batteries lived 4 years. I service all my 12 volt batteries with a micro
processor charger at least every 6 moths. If my truck was a daily driver it could
have had a longer stock battery life, IMO! My truck can sit for months at a time
before I drive it. The cold weather in NV. was making it crank slow, so I replaced
them on the spot. No since in causing myself grief being stranded somewhere
far from home in the cold.

Monterey has a temped climate and it also helps with battery life.
I replaced them with a standard flooded battery. Wal-Mart didn't have
the AGM's in stock. We shall see how long these last.
My battery blankets were reinstalled with the new batteries o_O

·
Registered
237 Posts
I tossed the battery blankets 3-1/2 years ago when I replaced the OE batteries with Duracell AGM's. They were so full of dirt and dust no way they were going back on the new batteries. Hope I don't jinks it but so far so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Superior AGM Technology
2017 Ram 3500 L6 6.7L Dsl

Due to HAZMAT compliance requirements, shipping is currently unavailable for automotive batteries.

Your Battery Information

Item Number1355852
Group SizeH7 (94R) AGM
Cold Cranking Amps850
Cranking Amps1000
Voltage12
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp140
Amp Hours (Ah) @ 10 Hr80
Length12 7/16
Width6 15/16
Height7 1/2
Weight51.8
Termination CodeCommon Code A
Wet/DryD
Footnotes Two batteries may be required.

Exclusive For Costco
Group Size: H7 (94R) AGM
$175.99*

*Refundable core charge of $15.00 not included

36 Month Limited Warranty Replacement

Please visit your local Costco Wholesale as availability may vary.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Superior AGM Technology
2017 Ram 3500 L6 6.7L Dsl

Due to HAZMAT compliance requirements, shipping is currently unavailable for automotive batteries.

Your Battery Information

Item Number1355852
Group SizeH7 (94R) AGM
Cold Cranking Amps850
Cranking Amps1000
Voltage12
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp140
Amp Hours (Ah) @ 10 Hr80
Length12 7/16
Width6 15/16
Height7 1/2
Weight51.8
Termination CodeCommon Code A
Wet/DryD
Footnotes Two batteries may be required.

Exclusive For Costco
Group Size: H7 (94R) AGM
$175.99*

*Refundable core charge of $15.00 not included

36 Month Limited Warranty Replacement

Please visit your local Costco Wholesale as availability may vary.

Not for only for a 36 month warranty I won't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts