Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought a '16 3500 Big Horn 6.7 with 68RFE. I've noticed that when initially put into drive when started cold (sitting more than 6 hours and temps have been in the 20's) the transmission acts like it's low on fluid and doesn't want to immediately engage. I did a search but only found similar issues for 2010-ish model year trucks. is this something particular to the 2016 model truck/engine/transmission? Or is it the same issue (torque convertor leak-back valve?)
Truck has 86,000 miles on it and I got it with the factory-certified 1-owner extended powertrain warranty so I want to be sure this is or isn't something I should be taking it to the stealer (I mean dealer) to check.
After I put it into drive, if it seems to slip (or not want to move easily) I shift back to park, then slowly back to drive and it is fine. No problems at any point or speed after that until it cools off again (another 6 hours or so). Then repeat process.
Any help is appreciated!
Jeff

·
Registered
303 Posts
This behavior is not normal for a 68RFE, or for that matter any auto trans I have been around. I would suggest you change the fluid and filter ASAP. My wife had a car when we were first married and it got to where it wouldn't move when first started so I changed filter and fluid in the trans and it fixed it.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
This behavior is not normal for a 68RFE, or for that matter any auto trans I have been around. I would suggest you change the fluid and filter ASAP. My wife had a car when we were first married and it got to where it wouldn't move when first started so I changed filter and fluid in the trans and it fixed it.
X2
I would also send a sample to Blackstone labs for analysis, and see what they say.

I have a 2016 with an Aisin, bought used at 27,000 miles did the drain and fill at 30K. I sent a sample to Blackstone, and all is good.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I had this issue on a 2002 1500 with a 45RFE. If the one filter doesn’t seal well you can get drain back issues. Start there if the fluid level is good and it was recently serviced.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
X3. Check fluid level. If low, top off and re-check performance. If problem persists or if fluid is not low, change fluid and filter.

I've seen several modern automatics nearing a hundred thousand miles develop similar symptoms -- slow to engage until warm, slightly funky shifting, generally acting like it's slightly low on fluid -- and have seen those symptoms vanish after a fluid and filter change.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
I had this issue on a 2002 1500 with a 45RFE. If the one filter doesn’t seal well you can get drain back issues. Start there if the fluid level is good and it was recently serviced.
There have been issues with the spin-on filter draining back and the sump filter developing hairline cracks at the seams.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about the 68RFE in this regard but my 48RE has done this since day 1 as the pump doesn't run in Park. When it's been sitting a while or cold, I put it in neutral to get fluid moving and warmed up.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
As said in the earlier posts - change the fluid/filter to start.

I believe starting with the 45, all RFE transmissions circulate in P as well in N.

With RH/RE transmissions, regardless of having the valve body modded to allow fluid to circulate in P, I keep the truck in N and let it idle there for a few seconds while I do the pre flight seatbelt, sunglasses, first gulp of hot coffee etc.

An unlocked converter warms the fluid up in short order for the couple miles until highway time.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This is one of those applications that I'd stick to the Mopar branded spin on & sump filters.

Also, there're a couple places making steel threaded filter head adapters for the spin on filter.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Also makes sure that damn pan filter is actually locked into the seal on install. It needs some force and will make an audible thump as well.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Also makes sure that damn pan filter is actually locked into the seal on install. It needs some force and will make an audible thump as well.
Exactly....I always coat the o-ring with transmission fluid. I then make a fist and lightly smack it with the portion of my hand near my little finger. The sound (and feel) will let one know when it is seated correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do like gsbrockman said.

Change oil and filters.

I recently had similar problem on my 2012 68RFE. One of the seals has crinkled up allowing allowing oil to bypass. In my case, the torque converter was not engaging properly due to loss of oil in circuit.

I have my system flushed and filters changed every 50-65k. At this particular time, I had 47k on oil/filters. Whether, seal caught on install, or had inferior material on filter, who knows. Problem was solved.

Start simple and go from there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I had this exact problem develop in my 2016 around 8000 miles. The trans pump was defective and needed to be replaced. It also needed close to a full rebuild due to low pressure from the pump which allowed things to slip. Damage was not terrible as it was caught early and the truck was babied still at those miles. They rebuilt most of it just out of caution, 0 cost to me.

So far I’m at almost 50k and it’s still working fine. If it ever goes it’s getting built. The trans is the only thing (other than emissions equipment) I don’t like about the truck. It’s acceptable but it could be a lot better.

Take it in and get it fixed ASAP. It’s just going to get worse until it leaves you on the side of the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts