Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3500 CCLB Cummins 6.7 Aisin 4X4 Tradesman
22 Posts
On my 11’, there’s no SCR, it’s CAT, NOX then DPF. So 13’ and up its CAT, SCR then DPF??
2013+ is DOC(Diesel CAT?) - DPF - SCR.

Acronym overkill!

I agree with the comment on the early models without any of this stuff. Wish it was still that way. Firm believer in KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid).

To the OP, not sure if you have ALFAOBD but have read postings regarding the ability to complete stationary desoot. Not sure if that would help you out or not but maybe one more thing to try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Folks, I've searched the forums and found different people with frequent regen problems, but never really found an answer to the problem. My 2016 has started doing regens every couple hundred miles. Truck is all stock, but I have a CTS2 monitor so I can tell when it is going into regen. For the first 4 years or so it was every 1000 miles. My driving habits really haven't changed. The truck only has 42000 on it, so it isn't worked hard, which I know doesn't help with the problem. There have been no codes thrown. I pulled the differential pressure sensor and everything looks clean. I have a hard time believing it's the scr since this change didn't seem to happen gradually, but was all at once. Do the differential pressure sensors go bad? Does anyone have any suggestions where else to look for the issue? The tailpipe is as clean as when it was new, if that helps any. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it's killing the fuel mileage. Much appreciated for any advice.
Just go through trouble shooting. It might surprise ya. A good complete scanner can pinpoint why it a very short time between regens. Bad batch of engine oil, change fuel stations, bad pressure sensor, a bad wire connection. Ram is good for that one. Dirty injectors letting to much fuel in. All easy to see just before it regens. Stopping regen in the middle of a cycle, short trips can do that. You might not be getting a complete regen with areas being plugged by soot. If that happens eventually your gonna have bigger problems than you started with.

If and when you do a trouble shooting play up. You might actually fix it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm correct. All Cummins engines used in all Ram trucks have the DEF injector used to inject it into the SCR! This is a Ram Cummins forum not Caterpillar. Prove me wrong.
Your going to have to prove your right. There is no 5.9 Cummins in a ram anywhere on earth using a SCR system.
Tho the name RAM become its own entity in 2010, RAM was still used for dodge trucks since 1981. The first use of a Cummins in a RAM was in 1989 and was a 12 valve engine 5.9 diesel.
I'll let Cummins tell ya.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 4260
My 11’ is registered as Ram, but says Dodge in the interior. Plus no DEF!!
My 4260 ram drone uses DEF, but no diesel. Experimental gravity generator with lazer fired carbo pellets. Those carbo pellets came from alpha omega treeline, and the best money can buy. 200 miles per pellet and the highest speed is 1200 mph per hour. The prototype came out way back in 2020, you'll notice the old school props, the replaced those props with gravity units. A steal at 1.9 million, almost 47 million sold so far.

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
Your going to have to prove your right. There is no 5.9 Cummins in a ram anywhere on earth using a SCR system.
Tho the name RAM become its own entity in 2010, RAM was still used for dodge trucks since 1981. The first use of a Cummins in a RAM was in 1989 and was a 12 valve engine 5.9 diesel.
I'll let Cummins tell ya.
Yea, what he said.

·
Registered
2017 3500 CCLB Cummins 6.7 Aisin 4X4 Tradesman
22 Posts
Curious about this product. Have you personally used it and if so have you seen longer intervals between regens. Not trying to be negative but just wondering if it is legit or just more marketing hype. The description on their website gives me pause. It talks about raising combustion temperatures which should reduce soot as stated but also says it reduces DEF consumption. Everything I have read states that higher combustion temperatures results in more NOx which requires more DEF in the SCR or more EGR to lower combustion temperatures in order to lower NOx.

I think any additive package for these trucks is tricky because what is good for the pump and injectors may not necessarily be good for the DPF and vice versa.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Curious about this product. Have you personally used it and if so have you seen longer intervals between regens. Not trying to be negative but just wondering if it is legit or just more marketing hype. The description on their website gives me pause. It talks about raising combustion temperatures which should reduce soot as stated but also says it reduces DEF consumption. Everything I have read states that higher combustion temperatures results in more NOx which requires more DEF in the SCR or more EGR to lower combustion temperatures in order to lower NOx.

I think any additive package for these trucks is tricky because what is good for the pump and injectors may not necessarily be good for the DPF and vice versa.

Thanks for your input.
there are two basic ways to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in diesel exhaust: “either do something to get rid of as much NOx as you can after it is produced by the engine, or don't produce it in the first place.” The first option is the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) aftertreatment approach; the second is EGR or enhanced exhaust gas recirculation.
If I remember from a long time ago. The 2006-2007 5.9 used a version of agr to cut short all of burned fuel in the cyclinder. Its the same process by closing the cylinder on the exhaust stroke which left burned fuel to be left in the cyclinder thus reducing Nox emissions. The other choice with more success was the scr system.
Basically, NOx formation is a function of the high combustion temperature in diesel engines,” he explains. “The hotter the combustion temperature, exponentially more NOx is created from disassociated oxygen and nitrogen molecules binding together. So if you want to reduce the NOx that is formed during combustion, you need to lower the peak combustion temperature by reducing the amount of oxygen molecules available. ” the biggest trade off in using an egr type system is higher exhaust temps. Add a product that actually raise that temp by itself can cause more NOx to be created.
It can get pretty technical. But adding a product to the fuel will not stop those oxygen molecules to be gone which actually creates more NOx.

·
P2609 Fanatic
4,320 Posts
If it helps any the DPF is first in the exhaust stream, then the SCR.
The pic below is from the 2016 FCA service manual.

* Keep in mind that the DOC is just before the DPF and built into the same housing as the DPF so in total the exhaust system has three elements in this order...
DOC, DPF, SCR.

Fun Fact. . .
For some reason Ford puts the DPF last in line in their pickup trucks, and first inline in their cab/chassis and vocational trucks.
-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
7,073 Posts

Thanks for your input.
I have no concrete evidence yet. Seat of the pants it is quieter. I have a trip I make repeatedly, 500 miles round trip, and can say just under 2 MPG more. Typically I use two jugs a year of DEF, I'm still on the first jug this year and the gauge is still just below 3/4. I didn't use the product twice and see the MPG drop both times. Like I said nothing yet on paper. I guess I should do something more accurate. I've read plenty of testimonials liking the product.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
If it helps any the DPF is first in the exhaust stream, then the SCR.
The pic below is from the 2016 FCA service manual.

* Keep in mind that the DOC is just before the DPF and built into the same housing as the DPF so in total the exhaust system as three elements in this order...
DOC, DPF, SCR.

Fun Fact. . .
For some reason Ford puts the DPF last in line in their pickup trucks, and first inline in their cab/chassis and vocational trucks.
-Ej- 🍺
Sir I believe this is a thread about Caterpillars..

·
White Lightning
14,055 Posts
Thanks. Fuel pretty much always comes from high volume stations and the truck has never been to the dealer. No additives. 16-17 is what I average now, too. But that’s down a couple due to the frequent regens. It was 18-19 around town (manual transmission).
What percentage biodiesel is the fuel you’ve been purchasing have?

I‘d also look at the TMAP sensor....particularly comparing the ambient air temperature reading on a cold engine with the actual reading that the sensor is reporting.

Reactions: Electrojake
21 - 33 of 33 Posts