Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins with roughly 35,000 miles. My truck makes a screeching sound when I start it up when its cold. It goes away when it gets up to regular operating temp or I drive it. I had a guy at one dealership tell me it could be the fan clutch and another guy at another dealership tell me its not the fan clutch and he is not sure what it is. All maintenance has been consistently performed. I really need to get this fixed so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I attached a video. Thanks in advance Guys!

Link To Videos - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UufVc7JYP-yOB6pfIVsd2zc9tTU_UIfP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Walker111, thanks for the reply! The dealership says they don't hear anything off about the way it sounds. When you hear the video there is clearly something off about the way it sounds. I added a link so you can play the videos. If that doesn't work I will try adding a youtube video. Thanks again for all the help!

Link To Video - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UufVc7JYP-yOB6pfIVsd2zc9tTU_UIfP

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ouch. Doesn't sound good. Water pump? Honestly a noise like that should be easy to diagnose it's source with a mechanics stethoscope.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch. Doesn't sound good. Water pump? Honestly a noise like that should be easy to diagnose it's source with a mechanics stethoscope.

Thanks for the reply 17Ram2500. The water pump was replaced under the recall and it still makes that sound. =/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
That sounds like it might be the idler pulley, which is the top pulley on the serpentine belt system. They seem to wear and get wobble in them quite quickly. When I did the fan clutch hub conversion on my 11 when the truck had about 67,000 miles the idler had to be replaced because it was worn and loose, but it didn't sound quite like your truck does. That would be the first place I would check if it were my truck.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like it might be the idler pulley, which is the top pulley on the serpentine belt system. They seem to wear and get wobble in them quite quickly. When I did the fan clutch hub conversion on my 11 when the truck had about 67,000 miles the idler had to be replaced because it was worn and loose, but it didn't sound quite like your truck does. That would be the first place I would check if it were my truck.

Thanks den52, I really appreciate the help. I will check it and let you know if that is it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you don't have a stethoscope, you can use a piece of 1/4"-1/2" tubing about 18" long, one end to your ear, other end poking around. When you find the source you'll hear it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you don't have a stethoscope, you can use a piece of 1/4"-1/2" tubing about 18" long, one end to your ear, other end poking around. When you find the source you'll hear it.

Thanks utdiesel. I will try that and see what I can find

·
Registered
689 Posts
That sound seems to be at a less frequent rate than the engine RPM. I think it most likely is something running off the accessory belt. I would take it loose and check the idler pulley closely for looseness or roughness and if that isn't it, check each accessory for the same issues.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sound seems to be at a less frequent rate than the engine RPM. I think it most likely is something running off the accessory belt. I would take it loose and check the idler pulley closely for looseness or roughness and if that isn't it, check each accessory for the same issues.

Thanks don_t. I will check that and see if that is what it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts