Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to fire up my truck today, hit the key and it turned over once and stopped. Had to hit it again and it fired. Did it again about 30 minutes later. truck is exactly one year old. Think it's the batteries or the starter or something with the tip start? Just weird, if it's a bad battery I'll just go and buy two new ones, dealer is over an hour away and don't have time to deal with them. What's everyone's opinions

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
So I went out to fire up my truck today, hit the key and it turned over once and stopped. Had to hit it again and it fired. Did it again about 30 minutes later. truck is exactly one year old. Think it's the batteries or the starter or something with the tip start? Just weird, if it's a bad battery I'll just go and buy two new ones, dealer is over an hour away and don't have time to deal with them. What's everyone's opinions
Did you replace any fuel filters lately?

Reactions: nick00less

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, this is a definitely either a starter or a battery issue

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine has done this since new. I put the key in and turn it and let go, sometimes it cranks and starts like normal sometimes it just barely moves. Turn key again and it works like normal. I'm not sure what causes it but it has always bugged me. Does this sound like the same as yours?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine has done this since new. I put the key in and turn it and let go, sometimes it cranks and starts like normal sometimes it just barely moves. Turn key again and it works like normal. I'm not sure what causes it but it has always bugged me. Does this sound like the same as yours?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I wouldn't say it's slow, it just goes like a half a turn and stops, then turn the key again and it turns over normal.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
What does it do if you turn the key and hold it to the start position without letting go?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine has done this since new. Turn the key, engine will bump once and then nothing. Turn the key off and restart and it's good. I've noticed it since new but it never has seemed to cause anything funny.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess it's common? Had the truck a year and it never did it before, thought maybe I had a bad battery. Never know these days, factory batteries might only last a year.... Guess I'll let it ride and see what happens.

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,096 Posts
if it's a bad battery I'll just go and buy two new ones, dealer is over an hour away and don't have time to deal with them. What's everyone's opinions
Price new batteries for your truck. If you're within the 3/36, you'll probably want to make that trip to the dealership. The batteries are pricey!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine does it pretty regular. I've had mine since may and never had any issues with it. I'm glad to know others have experienced it so I don't think I'm crazy now.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Take it to anauto parts store in your area. In our area they will load test your batteries for free... Disconnect 1 battery, then load test each. I bet ya that 1 battery is bad. My last 2 trucks did the exact same thing when one of the batteries went bad... I am just surprised that it did not throw the Electronic Throttle light when it happened. BTW my Keyless Enter N Go will not run the Grid heates and crank up unless the Drivers door is closed BEFORE I hit the brake and ignition button! Otherwise it will run the heaters, then say push brake and start button to crank truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 did it once, which was a colder day about 15 degrees I plowed snow for ten hours that day no issues , fired right up today in minus 3 degrees no issues I wouldn't worry about it kinda hard not to when you pay 43-50k for a truck

·
Registered
513 Posts
Will only certain packages start with just bumping the key? My wifes jeep and my ford focus does that but my truck has never did it since the day it was on the lot. I have only tried it a couple times but I usually just hold the key like a normal car anyways.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.