Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m kinda new I have a 15 3500 and it seems to be using way more def fluid than it used to, almost 1 jug a month... I was curious if that was normal or if that could possibly mean the egr is getting to the point of needing deleted...? I am sure this has probably been talked about somewhere on here so I apologize in advance if so. Also I was told you no longer can fully delete the egr in these so what are my options?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I use between 0 and 4 jugs per month. So your 1 per month is not much.
How many MILES do you get per gallon of DEF.
Hey guys I’m kinda new I have a 15 3500 and it seems to be using way more def fluid than it used to, almost 1 jug a month... I was curious if that was normal or if that could possibly mean the egr is getting to the point of needing deleted...? I am sure this has probably been talked about somewhere on here so I apologize in advance if so. Also I was told you no longer can fully delete the egr in these so what are my options?

Reactions: N of 60

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,573 Posts
How do you drive the truck? This will help us out in letting you know if you need to change your driving habits. Do you drive short trips? Long trips? Able to get up to speed for a bit or is it just city driving?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I drove back from Michigan last Month and, before I left, I bought another 1 gallon jug of DEF from Walmart because it was a 1,400 mile trip and I had between 5/8 and 3/4 tank of DEF showing on my gauge.

Now, over a Month and 1,800 miles later, I still have 5/8 tank of DEF showing on my gauge.

I only bring this up to show -- Something. I don't know what.

But my truck hardly uses any DEF. Last year, I had to get under it and drain it out with a pump because it had been in there over a year. And it gets hot down here. Real hot. So I was concerned about it.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure the correct dilution ratio so I can use it for my flower bed or banana trees.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
DEF usage is about 50:1 with fuel. So when you tow and get 10 mpg it will take about 500 miles to use a gallon of it, probably more. When not towing it will take more miles to use it. If the system screws up you will know it. The EGR and the DEF are at opposite ends. DEF is cheap, smog mods can cost much more.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
You can't go by time for DEF usage, miles driven and type of use and fuel economy are what you have to look at for comparison.
The size of the jugs come into play, as well. :creep:

Throwing in some more numbers into the mix.....

My last DEF fill was 8.978 gallons. Fuel consumed was 345.909 gallons. Miles traveled was 3,615. The DEF ratio comes in at 2.5954%. Average miles per gallon of DEF was 402.65 mpg. Averages miles per gallon on #2 was 10.451.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the fast reply, we are a landscaping business And we recently got a new mowing trailer that’s all power and has a 10yd hopper on the rear with dumping mechanism for grass and leaves. I’m not exactly sure how much it weighs once you add 3 walker mowers on it as well but we tow that almost daily and we are averaging 9.5-10 mpg I’ve noticed. There’s a lot of small trips taken with it but also some 25-30 min trips as well atleast 1-2 times a week.

·
Registered
13,931 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply, we are a landscaping business And we recently got a new mowing trailer that’s all power and has a 10yd hopper on the rear with dumping mechanism for grass and leaves. I’m not exactly sure how much it weighs once you add 3 walker mowers on it as well but we tow that almost daily and we are averaging 9.5-10 mpg I’ve noticed. There’s a lot of small trips taken with it but also some 25-30 min trips as well atleast 1-2 times a week.
9.5-10 mpg by the dash readout?

Probably means 7-9 actual mpg, and at that rate it will suck up a lot of DEF.

Nothing wrong, just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Maybe look for a fueling station (truck stop or otherwise) that sells DEF from a pump. Or just get it at Wally World

It's a lot cheaper that way.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Throwing in some more numbers into the mix.....

My last DEF fill was 8.978 gallons. Fuel consumed was 345.909 gallons. Miles traveled was 3,615. The DEF ratio comes in at 2.5954%. Average miles per gallon of DEF was 402.65 mpg. Averages miles per gallon on #2 was 10.451.[/quote]

Greg, i usually get the 2.5 gallon jugs. Where are you getting those larger jugs at? They almost look like the old totes you see def in at the truck stops LOL. IIRC they are called lot lizard totes or mud cricket totes. Just cant find them at Walmart or on Amazon. Maybe custom??

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Greg, i usually get the 2.5 gallon jugs. Where are you getting those larger jugs at? They almost look like the old totes you see def in at the truck stops LOL. IIRC they are called lot lizard totes or mud cricket totes. Just cant find them at Walmart or on Amazon. Maybe custom??
Well.....one thing’s for certain......those “jugs” are not of the bolt-on variety. They look very NATURAL to this somewhat trained set of eyes. :grin2:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Anything that drives up fuel consumption OR increases the combustion efficiency will increase DEF consumption. The more of your fuel that actually burns, the more NOX you produce and the less soot. The emissions system sees the NOX and uses DEF to compensate. You can even see the effect there of something like a higher cetane value. Increased ignition delay results in better localized mixing in the cylinder and thus more complete combustion.

My commute is extremely consistent day to day which has let me test quite a few things under pretty controlled conditions. One test I ran was using a known cetane booster in various amounts to see the effect and it's really consistent that raising cetane increase my MPG and my DEF consumption per mile, the former more than the latter because of everything balancing. And that's based off calculated values of what I put it against actual mileage .

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,827 Posts
>> DEF MPG <<
I hand calculated my DEF usage over the last 20,000 miles.
Here's the results. . .

* When truck is loaded w/slide-in camper I'm at 12,200 pounds scale weight and get 816 MPG of DEF.

* When truck is empty my scale weight is 8500 pounds and DEF consumption improves to 953 MPG.

Driving is 90% highway and 10% in-town.
I'm loaded 95% of the time and empty 5% of the time.

Vehicle details are: Completely stock 2016 Longhorn 3500 SRW short-bed Cummins/AISIN.

DEF tank filling notes...
When DEF gauge gets into the red zone I add one 2.5 gallon bottle of Mopar DEF. That puts the DEF gauge at one notch under the 100% full mark.

YRMV :woot2:
Regards,
-Ej-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts