Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a 2015 ram 2500 frame the same as a 2015 ram 3500 drw I want to put leaf springs and drw 3500 axle on my 2500 but not sure if I can! My coil springs doesn't hold the weight of my camper im running airlift 7500 air bags. It still bounces and sways with me on bridges

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Frame is completely different in the back, no provision for leaf springs.

I take it you are referring to a slide-in camper? 2500 isn't rated for slide-in camper duty, especially a big heavy one.

Trade trucks is about you're only alternative.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
I want to put leaf springs and drw 3500 axle on my 2500 but not sure if I can!
I don't know if you can, either, but it really wouldn't be all that hard to do.

Reactions: 7492

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I don't know if you can, either, but it really wouldn't be all that hard to do.
It would be a very difficult job, lots of fabrication would be needed plus all the old 4-link mounts removed.
It would be a huge job.
It would be easier to swap to a 1-ton frame.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Frame is completely different in the back, no provision for leaf springs.

I take it you are referring to a slide-in camper? 2500 isn't rated for slide-in camper duty, especially a big heavy one.

Trade trucks is about you're only alternative.

Better yet, get a pull behind toyhauler.

I spent one night in a camper and ran out of there screaming the next morning, "Never Again!"

I got a 29HFS Toy Hauler and haven't looked back. Wish I was in it now.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
It would be a very difficult job, lots of fabrication would be needed plus all the old 4-link mounts removed.
It would be a huge job.
It would be easier to swap to a 1-ton frame.
Most of the time spent would be on measuring. Whether some OE spring mounts can be used or new ones have to be made would become apparent from the measurements. Then it's just a matter of cutting, welding, and bolting.

Is that a huge job? To some I suppose it could be, but it's something I'd much rather do than swapping frames.
Maybe because I find building custom things far more rewarding than simple bolt-ons - which a frame swap technically would be, except it would also be a very time consuming bolt-on.
And I'm saying that even though I have lifts, a crane, etc., which would really simplify a frame swap.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Then there's the 4 wheel alignment. You'll look like 90% of the Chevy 4WDs on the road, side-tracking (aka; dog-tracking) like a drunken crab that just got washed up on the beach.

If you were going to do it for a farm truck, a forestry truck or a general, all-around beater, I'd say go for it.

But it will never be right without putting big $$ into it.

That's just my worthless opinion

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Just get a 1-ton frame, cut the back half off both, then weld the 1-ton back half to the 3/4-ton front. Would be lots easier than trying to fab up and get square and level all the mounting points for the leaf springs and all the cutting off of the 4-link mounts.

Still say the only really reasonable alternative is to swap trucks, or get a smaller camper.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Here's how the factory did it on a vehicle that's normally a 4-link suspension. They didn't even eliminate the upper one, which is pretty clever if axle wrap is an issue.
I'm not familiar enough with the normal setup to tell if they used the lower link mount for the spring or not.

Either way, it's not brain surgery to swap from links to leaf springs, unless your toolbox only contains a couple of adjustable wrenches, a hammer, and some screwdrivers.
Going the opposite way would be much trickier. But then again, Ram didn't exactly adhere to the basic principles of 4-link angularity, yet it still seems to work.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Here's how the factory did it on a vehicle that's normally a 4-link suspension. They didn't even eliminate the upper one, which is pretty clever if axle wrap is an issue.
I'm not familiar enough with the normal setup to tell if they used the lower link mount for the spring or not.

Either way, it's not brain surgery to swap from links to leaf springs, unless your toolbox only contains a couple of adjustable wrenches, a hammer, and some screwdrivers.
Going the opposite way would be much trickier. But then again, Ram didn't exactly adhere to the basic principles of 4-link angularity, yet it still seems to work. View attachment 909123
I've done my share of changing suspensions over the decades, it can be done, without brain surgery needed.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand why it would be so hard to do, or costly. Other than the springs, a few brackets (if not home made) and some fasteners, where's the cost?
Okay, grinding wheels and electricity aren't free, but still.

And if my measurements were so bad that the vehicle dog tracks afterwards, I probably should let the dealer change my oil, too.

Reactions: daltana

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand why it would be so hard to do, or costly. Other than the springs, a few brackets (if not home made) and some fasteners, where's the cost?
Okay, grinding wheels and electricity aren't free, but still.

And if my measurements were so bad that the vehicle dog tracks afterwards, I probably should let the dealer change my oil, too.
Can you use the same brakes? The same driveshaft from the SRW to the DRW??

The rear end ain't gonna be cheap. Then there's the matter of all the equipment you're gonna need. At least one lift. Maybe two. Keeping your truck off the road for weeks, maybe months while ironing out out all the things you missed/forgot/broke/put on backwards.

There's more that I forgot, I'm sure of that.

But if you wanna play boy-erector-set, go for it. Some of us got better things to do with our time. And money

Speaking of which, after you put countless hours, 10 skinned knuckles and several broken tools into your truck at a cost of several thousand dollars, you've increased the value of it by -- What? $37.41.........??

Jimmy, is your last name 'Goldberg' (as in 'Rube') :)

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Okay, it looks like we've switched from the "near impossible" spring swap to the axle/duals portion.
If so, you left out the front adapters and six tires and wheels in your ultra negative list.

Anyway, you tell me if the drive shaft and brakes can tell the difference between singles and duals.
Need "At least one lift. Maybe two". Why??? For a frame swap, one would be helpful, yes, but for springs or a rear axle??

"Keeping your truck off the road for weeks, maybe months..." Again, why?
Not apples to apples, but a friend and I modified a con gear a bit, by installing Pete AirLeaf suspension on it. That one took about a week, and that included making a new frame for it. From scratch.
In two weeks we converted a 26-foot dry van to a 24-foot drop deck with a beaver tail. Also lowered it a lot.

We did those partially because it was fun, but also because it saved a crap load of money. Sure, some of you have better things to do with your time, but I don't particularly like watching TV and would rather create something.
Yes, my Jeep did take a long time to build, but it was my first real project (so a steep learning curve), and almost everything on it was modified in one way or another..

Also, not once have I built or modified anything to increase its value. Performance, usefulness etc., yes, but never for value. Even if I won the lottery and could afford to have things built by the best, I'd rather do it myself, and learn something.

Reactions: daltana

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
if the op searches i looked it up maybe a month ago and posted pictures. i can't remember if the provisions are in the frame already or not, the pics will tell. if they aren't, it's still not very hard. honestly, probably cheaper then upgrading and losing money on trade or getting into new one. i'd do it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just trade trucks no matter what you do it’s still legally going to be a 2500 and not rated to have a camper in the bed. No matter how good of a job you do on it If you get into a wreck you may end up severely regretting it when someone sue happy goes after you. Or just get a pull behind that’s within your towing capacity

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Meh. Just sell it, then watch Oprah reruns on TV and indulge in chips and sodas.
It's cheaper, and somewhat less risky.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
cheaper.....debatable, less risky....or do you mean less educational and less fun haha

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Yeah well, but no busted knuckles should result, no lifts needed (until indulging enough on the couch that you can't get up), no dog tracking. No worries at all, really.

And most importantly: Absolutely no thinking required. That alone may be priceless to some.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
sounds priceless

·
Registered
187 Posts
Since I don’t know squat..........to modify the suspension, and install different axles is most certainly doable........just look at all the Jeeps and 4X4’s out there running around with Ford Dana 60’s under the front and GM 14 bolt diff’s under the rear, then add in a 4 link rear and a 3 link front with King coilovers on all 4 corners. All any of this takes is a little time and a lot of money, along with good tools and skills. I am relatively new to RAM trucks, so do they actually use a different frame for the 2500 and 3500 series? Or is it actually the same frame with different spring/suspension mounts?
Being an old Ford guy, I know since 1999 all the 250’s and 350’s had the same frame In pickups. ( Cab & Chassis may have had some differences, IDK )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts