Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that my owners man makes recomendation for transfer case service at 48,000. But does not say when to change front and rear axle oil under normal conditions. My truck is a 14 but only has 40,000 miles. Is it due or over due for these services? Thanks. Oh, when do you all change these fluids, just curious?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I probably over service my truck, but I change my diff fluid and transfer case fluid every 30,000 miles. I put aftermarket front and rear covers on also to make drain and refills much easier.

·
Registered
16,789 Posts
I like to do the first fluid change on the rear diff at about 1,000 miles, then "as needed".
Especially with my 3500 "as needed" depends on what I find on the magnetic level plug.
Since the gasket is reusable, it's quick and easy to change the fluid anyway.

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
White Lightning
12,479 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully you don’t change your AS69RC transmission filter at the interval specified in that link, as it is incorrect.
Yeah, looks like there is just an oil change drain and fill at 30,000 and the filter changes happen a bit further out for the as69rc. Is that what you are referring too?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm at 40000 miles and 5 years without touching the front or rear axle or the transfer case. I really hope I did not screw up. I've done everything else way before required including my ccv filter.

·
White Lightning
12,479 Posts
Thanks where did you find that?
It‘s in the Diesel Supplement, maintenance section.

You’re overdue on differential services, not a huge dealbreaker on the transfer case, but I’d do it as well, based on time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts