Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys posted here last week for the first time as to why I should switch (3x powerstroke owner) to the new RAM. Im finally going to make the jump as I am tired of being a test dummy with ford and theres never any new innovation. When truck parts from 1999 fit on a 2014 theres a problem. Anyway my local dealers cant locate the truck I want 14' black longhorn 2500 w/ rambox and cattle interior. As far as building a truck whats a fair price to negotiate. My msrp when I built it online is $64,740.00. I also have 4000 in rebates 3000 for northeast consumer cash and 1000 for lease offer. What else can I save. Getting fed up with paying more in everything just cause Im from NY. May use my address in Florida and order one if I can get that much better of a deal. Thanks

Also I want my longhorn to be monotone do I have to have the painted bumpers?

And with the mega cab how come they all dont come with the 2nd row in floor storage bins. There not a option either.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I currently have an Ecoboost, which was my first Ford. I've been very happy with it and have nothing but good to say about the truck and motor.

I had two Cummins prior which were excellent as well.

I really like the Super Duty however it would be nice to see some new sheet metal. Nothing wrong with the cab, its big and well laid out. I drove a 14 Powerstroke the other day and really liked it. However if you do some research on the 6.7 there are some issues. Seems like turbos, radiators and fuel system problems are abundant. And Ford doesn't like to stand behind the fuel system problems. Now Ford is going to upgrade the 15 Powerstoke, which will hopefully fix the issues, however I'm not willing to gamble on that or the older motor. I will say the new motor is way better then the 6.0 or 6.4.

I feel like the Ram is best looking truck out there, with the nicest interior and most reliable engine. That's why I'm planning on ordering a new Cummins within the next couple months.

If I could get the Superduty with the Duramax or Cummins it would be a much tougher decision. I love the Duramax and Allison but hate the GM truck. I think the new body style 1/2 tons are just butt ugly. And the older trucks are definitely not as appealing as the Ram or Superduty.

I've been asking around about ordering a truck and invoice minus the rebates seems to be the norm.

Also, only the longhorn limited offers the painted bumpers.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are certainly expensive. I have one on order with a sticker of $68k and some change. Every dealer is different for negotiating. Some won't budge on an order because they want you to get one off the lot. Small dealers that need the numbers may negotiate better than large dealer with a big inventory.

Longhorns can be monotone for a few extra bucks ($500 or so), and bumpers are chrome from what I understand.

Couldn't tell you for sure why there are no in-floor storage bins... maybe because there is storage behind the seats in a megacab?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yes these trucks are pricey for sure. I sometimes think about what other cars/trucks that $69k could of bought me. Granted I don't regret buying my 14 2500 Limited, the only remorse I have is having a car note for another 5 years. But I'll get over
it. I love the truck, although this is my first diesel. I can't compare to others but from what I've read I made the right decision.
Rear floor storage would of been nice in the mega cabs. I was hoping mine came with them but no dice.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Ok guys posted here last week for the first time as to why I should switch (3x powerstroke owner) to the new RAM. Im finally going to make the jump as I am tired of being a test dummy with ford and theres never any new innovation. When truck parts from 1999 fit on a 2014 theres a problem. Anyway my local dealers cant locate the truck I want 14' black longhorn 2500 w/ rambox and cattle interior. As far as building a truck whats a fair price to negotiate. My msrp when I built it online is $64,740.00. I also have 4000 in rebates 3000 for northeast consumer cash and 1000 for lease offer. What else can I save. Getting fed up with paying more in everything just cause Im from NY. May use my address in Florida and order one if I can get that much better of a deal. Thanks

And with the mega cab how come they all dont come with the 2nd row in floor storage bins. There not a option either.
it all depends how motivated the dealer is. cash back is a no brainer. if you can get them to throw in the holdback money there is another $1800 or so. then it just comes down to what you get a price. 500 under invoice??? are they motivated to go lower.

I got FFP 300 below invoice I think but might be off on that - holdback-inecntives.

58.8k msrp 47.9k deal.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
As far as building a truck whats a fair price to negotiate. My msrp when I built it online is $64,740.00. I also have 4000 in rebates 3000 for northeast consumer cash and 1000 for lease offer. What else can I save.
There are a number of threads on how to work the 'best' deal for a truck, but a rough ball park for a 65k truck is about 59k invoice (which is really the number you want, not MSRP). if you go to a site like edmunds.com you can build the exact truck you want and and see the invoice price (although sadly, edmunds is inaccurate for longhorn package). Since my truck was a longhorn 3500, my msrp was 65,500 and invoice was ~59k - so for spitballing, use 59k for a starting point.
after that, there is some math - much better explained in other threads if you do a quick search. but basically you should be able to get somewhere around invoice - rebates/customer cash/lease offer, and then - some of the holdback. holdback for a ~65k truck is ~1900, so you should be able to get some of that (doubt all of it, but some do and many try - really depends on how much the dealer wants to sell the truck).

so for your figures up top, 59k - 8k (rebates etc) - 1k = 50k. if you got that, it would be a tremendous deal - that's almost 15k off msrp.

your rebates and cash back sounds high - if you can get all that, I would definitely order and buy. again as a general picture, I got mine from 65,500 down to 54,500 - and felt I got a really good deal. Realistically (imo) if you can get close to 54k (before taxes etc) you're doing great.

YMMV, it may be worth doing a search for the thread with all the math in it - but from spitballing - with your rebates and cash listed, you should be able to get a great deal. Just remember to work from invoice, not MSRP

You can get the longhorn or laramie trims in monotone. It's an option you have to add, costs about $500. When you go to monotone, you get the chrome bumpers - and with the longhorn, you also get the chrome running boards. There are a number of trucks out there configured like that - so if you go look at a couple vendor sites, you should be able to find the color you want and see if the monotone / chrome works for you.
by default the laramie and longhorn come two-tone, the laramie is a silver color and the longhorn is a white gold. I really like the longhorn two-tone package, but it is definitely a matter of personal preference.

in any case - the longhorn gives you some fantastic options - the leather inside is nice quality, spray-in bedliner, 8.4an and heated steering wheel included, and don't forget to add the KeylessGo (arguably the best feature of all on these trucks)

good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate advertising for a dealership but I searched the net for a good while before I bought my truck and found Vernon Auto Group out of Texas to be the best deal on any new truck that you want and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I hate advertising for a dealership but I searched the net for a good while before I bought my truck and found Vernon Auto Group out of Texas to be the best deal on any new truck that you want and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Living in Houston, I called Vernon and after a week they were no different in price than what I could find on the ground here in Houston. Lifetime warranty is good, but they are almost 1,000 miles round trip for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I currently have an Ecoboost, which was my first Ford. I've been very happy with it and have nothing but good to say about the truck and motor.

I had two Cummins prior which were excellent as well.

I really like the Super Duty however it would be nice to see some new sheet metal. Nothing wrong with the cab, its big and well laid out. I drove a 14 Powerstroke the other day and really liked it. However if you do some research on the 6.7 there are some issues. Seems like turbos, radiators and fuel system problems are abundant. And Ford doesn't like to stand behind the fuel system problems. Now Ford is going to upgrade the 15 Powerstoke, which will hopefully fix the issues, however I'm not willing to gamble on that or the older motor. I will say the new motor is way better then the 6.0 or 6.4.

I feel like the Ram is best looking truck out there, with the nicest interior and most reliable engine. That's why I'm planning on ordering a new Cummins within the next couple months.

If I could get the Superduty with the Duramax or Cummins it would be a much tougher decision. I love the Duramax and Allison but hate the GM truck. I think the new body style 1/2 tons are just butt ugly. And the older trucks are definitely not as appealing as the Ram or Superduty.

I've been asking around about ordering a truck and invoice minus the rebates seems to be the norm.

Also, only the longhorn limited offers the painted bumpers.

Just my 2 cents
I owned 3 Chevy D/A's, last one was an 07.5 Chevy 3500 dually crew cab long bed 4X4 in LTZ..REALLY thought I'd miss the Allison....but in 2010 when I purchased my first Ram it came with an EB and between the 68RFE and the EB, that truck was a towing aniMULE:)

Anyway, Ram has the answer to the Allison with their Aisin medium duty tranny, just as prestigious as, if not more so than the Allison..And the two stage EB is one awesome tool. Also Cummins with Aisin offers 385HP, 850ftlb of TQ, and in the Dually, also 14,000# GVWR and 4:10 gives one a GCWR of over 36,000#....Ford has to counter with a 2014 F450 to just compete with the 2013 Ram 3500 dually

You're also correct, Ram is the best looking truck on the market at this time, inside and out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was about to go with Vernon and did a search on BBB and on the forums. That lifetime warranty has some real issues such as they have tons of very strict rules to keep it in place like all the maintenance has to be done at Vernon including oil changes unless you get permission to go elsewhere each time. They also replace parts with used parts or from junk yards including full engines. They have tons of BBB issues with delivering what they promise etc. Me being from California didn't know much about them but one of our friends here on the forums said something to the effect of... "biggest bunch of crooks south of the red river" lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Because the mega cab seat back folds down there is a fixed metal leg to the floor. As you are aware the CC seat bottom folds up with no fixed leg to get in the way. There are storage compartments behind the seat. The Limited has painted bumpers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
526 Posts
I use edmunds.com true value pricing. I have been able to add up the options I want (or have found on a truck on the dealer's lot) and see what they say similar trucks are selling for in my area.

I use their website data to figure out what would be a good deal in my area.

I have bought 3 new vehicles in the last four years. Two RAM trucks and a car. I have managed to find/work a deal from $1K lower than the Edmunds value to a RAM truck I got for $4K below the Edmunds area value…

·
Registered
133 Posts
U can use employee pricing to knock off sum of that also. Got my 2014 tradesman for 37634.00 before tax should save u more if u can get a employee number.i goy right at 11000 off with green slip and the 4k rebate.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I got a special "hook up" with a friend that was to get me VIP price. So I built a nice but simple Longhorn on Ram suite for 52K MSRP, that included the rebates. My special price was the MSRP price out the door. So I passed. Is that the best? I think not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.