Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My y-pipe took a dive and I lost a lot of coolant with this.... Had to fix and temporarily put water in the system, I bought 6 gallons of mopar coolant and now I’m looking for the easiest way to get most of the old coolant out of the system? Would think there would be a drain plug beneath...
Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I pull the lower radiator hose on the passenger side that wraps around in front of the oil filter. Aim the hose into a 5 gallon bucket and it won’t make too much of a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pull the lower radiator hose on the passenger side that wraps around in front of the oil filter. Aim the hose into a 5 gallon bucket and it won’t make too much of a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Shea

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
There is a drain at the bottom of the drivers side tank of the radiator, hex head plastic valve to loosen, and below there is a nipple that you can attach a hose to where the coolant drains out.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
My y-pipe took a dive and I lost a lot of coolant with this.... Had to fix and temporarily put water in the system, I bought 6 gallons of mopar coolant and now I’m looking for the easiest way to get most of the old coolant out of the system? Would think there would be a drain plug beneath...
Any advice is appreciated!
Prediluted coolant ? I hope so,It makes the job so much easier, but there those that will chastise you for buying it .

·
Registered
874 Posts
How good do you want it drained and are you changing antifreeze types? There's also a block plug right behind the turbine housing... 5/16" allen. I pulled the heater supply hose off and blew out the core and flushed everything with lots of tap water and a final flush with distilled. Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a drain at the bottom of the drivers side tank of the radiator, hex head plastic valve to loosen, and below there is a nipple that you can attach a hose to where the coolant drains out.
I found the plastic valve and the little nipple below it, it‘s on the passenger side and the only way you can see it is thru the bumper opening... Trying to get a Allen wrench in the nut looks next to impossible from this angle because of metal blockage? Can anyone give me an experience on how to get this nut open so I can drain my coolant? BTW, this is a dual radiator truck if that means anything or not? Thx

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
I found the plastic valve and the little nipple below it, it‘s on the passenger side and the only way you can see it is thru the bumper opening... Trying to get a Allen wrench in the nut looks next to impossible from this angle because of metal blockage? Can anyone give me an experience on how to get this nut open so I can drain my coolant? BTW, this is a dual radiator truck if that means anything or not? Thx
Maybe that's the drain for the secondary radiator?

My truck only has the single, drain on the driver side tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crazy what it takes to just drain the rad.... Dealer it is......

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Don't be scared.... It's no big deal. ;)(y)

·
Registered
874 Posts
When I flushed mine, a few weeks ago, I removed the radiator so I could dump it and flush it better. The fins needed a good pressure washing anyway... and the cleaning REALLY helped. Plus, you can spray out the other xchangers a lot better. Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crazy what it takes to just drain the rad.... Dealer it is......
I bought the Fluid Evacuater, many thanks for this idea! I bought the one you recommended and would imagine there is a narrow hose that comes with to get it in that 90deg angle once I pull the hose from the side at the top!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I bought the Fluid Evacuater, many thanks for this idea! I bought the one you recommended and would imagine there is a narrow hose that comes with to get it in that 90deg angle once I pull the hose from the side at the top!
Good choice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the dual rad trucks easiest way is popping the lower pipe on passenger side and trying to catch as most you can. A large plastic tote will help you catch some of the mess. The drain dock on drivers side is nearly impossible to attack because of the limited approach and space.

Helpful Tip when refilling the system, fill it from the drivers side too hose. It shouldn’t take but a burp and maybe half gallon after that.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
How good do you want it drained and are you changing antifreeze types? There's also a block plug right behind the turbine housing... 5/16" allen. I pulled the heater supply hose off and blew out the core and flushed everything with lots of tap water and a final flush with distilled. Craig
Don't want to be a know-it-all (because I sure don't) but I wanted to pass this along --

Many people have “heard” that distilled water is the best water to use in a cooling system. This is wrong! >>

<< So what’s the answer? Softened water.

YMMV, but I tend to agree.

I just use Publix drinking water. Or maybe it's Spring Water..... Don't know, don't care. But I don't think it's got nearly as many chemicals in it as tap water; and distilled is actually harmful to your system, IMHO.

Just something. Maybe nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
You wanted distilled water as it has no minerals in it to precipitate out into your motor.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You wanted distilled water as it has no minerals in it to precipitate out into your motor.
From High School Chemistry (which I nearly flunked BTW) I know that water always seeks a natural chemical balance. If it has no chemicals in it, it will try to draw the missing chemicals from whatever is handy -- Your Engine block and whatver else it can get hold of.

When I first saw peeps in here, and many other places, talking about using distilled water in their coolong systems, it set off an alarm. I didn't say anything because it seemed to be common place.

I'm sure it is but.... I also think it's mistaken. I could be wrong. I often am.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
From High School Chemistry (which I nearly flunked BTW) I know that water always seeks a natural chemical balance. If it has no chemicals in it, it will try to draw the missing chemicals from whatever is handy -- Your Engine block and whatver else it can get hold of.

When I first saw peeps in here, and many other places, talking about using distilled water in their coolong systems, it set off an alarm. I didn't say anything because it seemed to be common place.

I'm sure it is but.... I also think it's mistaken. I could be wrong. I often am.
Well I have a PhD in Chemistry, :cool:

You are somewhat right, the water will seek a natural balance if left alone but it is being mixed with a specialty formulated antifreeze designed for our engine and its make up.

So distilled water has no minerals in it that can react with the antifreeze and deposit in the engine or cause deposits to form or possibly cause unwanted chemical changes in the antifreeze mixture. The antifreeze is formulated to match the engine components and materials used and is designed to mix with distilled water.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts