Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have it and I am not a fan of it. I only tow goosenecks but I imagine if I had a 5er I would like it better. I think the pucks and frame would be ideal for that.

I've always had goosenecks that flipped over and kept the ball right there. With the prep package you have to remove the ball and store in in a toolbox or elsewhere, only to get lost eventually!

·
Registered
171 Posts
personaly I think the B&W turnover is better cheaper system. less holes in the bed and a good hitch. I have the prep package. If it were not for that I already had the B&W industry standard hitch and the truck came with the prep, I would have gone that way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
B&W is coming out with hitch legs for the prep group in about a month, Curt should have theirs out in a few weeks. SHOULD be really easy.. RAM came out with this way before industry was ready to support.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Just talked to the curt rep at rv show in tampa. Will be out very soon to fit right in the pucks. Neat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I specifically bought my truck because of the prep package. Around my area no one will touch a dodge due to the lack of install kits. My normal rv parts dealer told me he wont touch it, only found one shop who would do an install and he said he would have to make a custom set of brackets ect for it. That's when I decided to stick with the prep package, I made the dealer pay for the bracket, during the deal the parts dept. had no idea what to order ect, I called the rv dealer I bought my rv from, got in touch with reese and life is good. I picked up the bracket last night, came assembled, dropped it in the truck in the parking lot and it fit like a glove. I put the hitch in when I got home and hooked up to the camper with no problems. For me, the prep package and the reese bracket is the way to go.....Oh and I only paid 350 for the bracket which the dealer covered.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I specifically bought my truck because of the prep package. Around my area no one will touch a dodge due to the lack of install kits.
This too will be solved soon. All of the major hitch manufacturers are working on install kits for the newer Ram frames. Many of us have been towing goosenecks and 5th wheels with our 13+ trucks for quite a while despite your statement that "no one will touch them". True, conventional rail installation kits weren't available at first, but that's far from the only solution.

Reactions: dedonx

·
Slow from the get Go 6spd
657 Posts
SO does anyone know who may have the gooseneck ball and safety chain pucks in stock? I tried to order from two separate places and both were back ordered. Dealership is back ordered also.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
The 13 truck with its new frame didn't start arriving in any numbers until May 2013. June 2013 , B&W shipped their new 1314 gooseneck hitch. From this frame/hitch you can tow 5th wheel or GN. Frankly , we as owners never needed the Ram puck system.

·
White Lightning
14,278 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get the factory tow group. It's the dumbest thing I have seen since I watched the movie titanic. I kick myself everyday for it. Get a b&w they are light years ahead of this stupid thing. The whole pull the ball out of the bed thing and store it somewhere else is the dumbest idea I've ever seen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
234 Posts
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get the factory tow group. It's the dumbest thing I have seen since I watched the movie titanic. I kick myself everyday for it. Get a b&w they are light years ahead of this stupid thing. The whole pull the ball out of the bed thing and store it somewhere else is the dumbest idea I've ever seen.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment ubet. I like the B&W setup and since they will have the legs and everything I need for their 5th wheel hitch which is what I want I think it's a decent choice. As far as I can tell I will be able to buy the legs that are FORD/RAM compatible and then attach it to the hitch. No drilling required and I also get the benefit of having the trailer plug in the bed of the truck. I wouldn't know about the movie titanic as I heard it was a love story and didn't watch it. :hehe:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment ubet. I like the B&W setup and since they will have the legs and everything I need for their 5th wheel hitch which is what I want I think it's a decent choice. As far as I can tell I will be able to buy the legs that are FORD/RAM compatible and then attach it to the hitch. No drilling required and I also get the benefit of having the trailer plug in the bed of the truck. I wouldn't know about the movie titanic as I heard it was a love story and didn't watch it. :hehe:
I should clarify I don't have a fifth wheel, just gooseneck. For that application I hate it because of all the holes and the location of them plus the ball setup.

·
Slow from the get Go 6spd
657 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
This too will be solved soon. All of the major hitch manufacturers are working on install kits for the newer Ram frames. Many of us have been towing goosenecks and 5th wheels with our 13+ trucks for quite a while despite your statement that "no one will touch them". True, conventional rail installation kits weren't available at first, but that's far from the only solution.
My cousin bought a 13 during the summer, could not get a install kit to save his life, bought a universal kit and spent two days getting it in. Like I said I called my local installers and no ine wanted to touch it except the fab shop to put in a custom set up. I pulled. My camper Saturday for a test run, everything went great! The bracket dropped in with issue. Best money I didn't have to spend!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Question ??? What are the pros vs cons of this package from factory. I do not have a 5th wheel now, but I sure miss mine, would like to get one next year.... thanks far all input
If you get it with the package, in about a month there will be hitches to take advantage of the quick-release feature from B&W, Curt, and others. It leaves you with a full bed when you aren't towing, and quick-release mounting points for when you want to.

I've been working on an article at RamGunner.com : The 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Package which covers it.

Reactions: dedonx

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
My installers ? Who are these mysterious people..... B&W GN ...installs with 6 bolts , do it yourself for free. 5th wheel wiring kit ? Install is free because it's plug and play. If you have a wife and a torque wrench Ram owners can install this hitch.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Question ??? What are the pros vs cons of this package from factory. I do not have a 5th wheel now, but I sure miss mine, would like to get one next year.... thanks far all input
Install the B&W GN or Reese GN , then decide which 5th wheel hitch you want to mount to the turnover ball system. You'll have plenty flexibility from there.

Socket puppet has got the rig. See his pics. Mine is similar with longbed not as practical.

You don't need the factory prep. The 5th wheel hitch with adapter is just a layer upon layer of heavy weight you gotta haul around plus you'll never get to use your truck bed again. Like being Stuck with the in law that never shuts up. I lucked out and didn't get the prep pkg.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts