Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing a whine in my rear diff again. Complete rear axle assembly was replaced at around 60000km and now at 120000km I'm having issues again. I took it to a driveline shop last week to have it looked at and they said the diff was fine and ended up replacing the axle bearings on both sides. I picked it up after hours on Friday so I was unable to speak with them about the noise they didn't fix. Today I was under the truck checking it out and was able to move my pinion up and down enough to hear a small clunk. I'm thinking any movement up and down is too much. Opinions??? Could this be causing my noise??

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If it is truely verticle movement the pinion bearing is going out. Are you sure? Generally speaking it should be leaking if there is that much play.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is truely verticle movement the pinion bearing is going out. Are you sure? Generally speaking it should be leaking if there is that much play.
Definitely vertical play. I put a dial indicator on it and was getting .005 on it. Not enough to open up the seal I'm guessing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts