Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem? I have had a shop tell me i need a whole new tank which is around 2000. Is it possible to just replace the sensor? Any help or knowledge is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Well, no matter what, I wouldn't buy a "new" tank, lots of deleted trucks that you could snag a tank from.

Not sure about that temp sensor, not a common failure at all.

I would think the sensor would be part of the pump assembly, like the heater elements are, and replacing that would be lots cheaper.

Have you tried clearing the code and seeing if it comes back?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ltngdrvr. That is a good idea to get a tank from a deleted truck. I have looked on eBay but no luck there. Yes I cleared the code and it came back on about a day later. I can't seem to just find that pump assembly anywhere. I would think you are right that is is part of that. I will continue to try and find it if not I may reach out on here to see if anyone has a deleted truck and no longer using theirs. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
After a quick google search, it looks like there are a bunch of TSB's that reference this fault code, and a ECM update is the recommendation from RAM.

So, even out of warranty, it may be something the dealer could help with for not too much money, might be worth a phone call.

The DEF pump assembly is available separately, not cheap for new, $800 or better.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Actually saw one place selling the pump for $550, but not sure the pump has the sensor in it, may be part of the level sensor assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. I just got off the phone with the dealer and he also said that it may be a ecm needing flashed. So it looks as if I am going to take it in next week. hopefully that is the problem. I appreciate you looking around. Just incase do you know where you for the part for 550?

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Gotcha. I just got off the phone with the dealer and he also said that it may be a ecm needing flashed. So it looks as if I am going to take it in next week. hopefully that is the problem. I appreciate you looking around. Just incase do you know where you for the part for 550?
No, didn't save it, but just found it on a simple google search for "RAM DEF pump assembly" I'm sure you would see it if you did the same.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Do to the Fact it appeared 1 day later means its conditional Triggered code, I would update ALL the modules on truck, Their have been updates for 2014 into late Dec 18, if your going to pay the dealer to update make sure they update ALL modules. IF ALL are Not current you may have future communication problems, Yes, some dealers charge outrageous prices for updates so watch out. I've updated many trucks with 8-10 updates in 1-2hrs.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Do to the Fact it appeared 1 day later means its conditional Triggered code, I would update ALL the modules on truck, Their have been updates for 2014 into late Dec 18, if your going to pay the dealer to update make sure they update ALL modules. IF ALL are Not current you may have future communication problems, Yes, some dealers charge outrageous prices for updates so watch out. I've updated many trucks with 8-10 updates in 1-2hrs.
Won't cost as much as replacing those DEF system parts though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The DEF heater, pump, and level sensor are all one unit. There is also a box on top of the def tank that connects the DEF pump unit to the ECM. That has a habit of going south as well. Typically symptoms of that are multiple codes originating from the DEF system (Level, heater and pressure).

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
The DEF heater, pump, and level sensor are all one unit. There is also a box on top of the def tank that connects the DEF pump unit to the ECM. That has a habit of going south as well. Typically symptoms of that are multiple codes originating from the DEF system (Level, heater and pressure).
AFAIK, the level sensor is in the top, it is a sonar sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts