Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2014 2500 CTD or 2013 3500 DRW with Aisin ?

3945 28
So as some of you gentleman may know the 2014 2500 with the R68 tranny is sidelined till at least the 25th November. Meaning I wouldn't be able to take delivery till probably early next year. So I've been looking around at some 2013 3500 with Aisin and have found some great deals, at least $13k off MSRP. I believe they are also offering 0% for 72 right now as well. I'm starting to lean towards canceling my 14 order and going with the 14 3500 DRW but I'm on the fence about switching. I will probably never be towing a 5th wheel and the most I would ever be towing is a 22' center console boat. This next truck purchase will be a truck I will keep for the next 5-6 years so I'm really wanting to be sure about this purchase. I know the CTD with the Aisin is a bullet proof combo for what ever you may throw at it. I can say the truck won't be left stock, and will be modified performance and suspension wise. I can never seem to leave any of my vehicles stock, I always end up modding them. I know the ride in the 14 2500 will be better but honestly I'm not too concerned because the truck will eventually be lifted anyway. Now what kind of MPG difference would I be looking at between the two? What do you guys think? I value the forum members opinion since some you guys have had several diesel trucks so your opinions are first hand experience. Thanks in advance..!!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Aisins are bullet proof in stock form, modified they have their limits just like the Allison.

Curious why the choice is 2500 vs dually and not 1 ton SRW?

Either way, if the truck is more of a lifted daily driver I'd hold on and get the 2500, real smooth ride now. 3500SRW is my choice as truck is always right at it's limits, but if it wasn't a farm truck one may as well go for what works best as a cruiser.

Re mpg, dually weighs 400lbs more, to more tires (friction) and is a little less aerodynamic, around 3mpg worse is what our neighbor gets with his dually vs my srw.

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
Duallies on average get .5 to 1 MPG less fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, it just seems the market is saturated right now with 13 3500 DRW and they discounting them more so then the 3500 SRW. But you are correct, it will not be a work/farm truck. Just a daily driven street cruiser with occasional beach time. Also the 3500 DRW look amazing with a small lift and bigger tires.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I wouldn't get a dually if you don't need it. I'll agree they look better, but unless you absolutely need the payload and hauling abilities they are a liability insofar as parking and daily driving. I have had two duallies so I have been down that road. I haul a 5th wheel with my SRW, and I know I made the right choice, especially when I am able to pull up to that roadside espresso shack with the hot barista- something the dually makes impossible on most occasions.

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
Bah, if you want a dually, get a dually. I have had a dually as a DD since 1989, you get used to it. Don't let someone else talk you out of what you want.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ive had a dually, 2 2500's and just bought a 3500 srw. I dont remember the dually ever bothering me convenience wise but it was a regular cab. I was in the market for a mega this time. went with 3500 for higher axle rating and payload. not interested in the new unproven coil spring on the 2500 as my truck has to work for a long time. I would say you get used to a dually and just wanting has always been a great reason to me!

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
As Carl stated and I agree 100%..If you want the Dually, get the dually:)...you'll love it and "IF" you ever decide to go with a 5er, or a bigger boat..you already have the perfect truck for it..You'll Love It!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it. So I'm only looking at about a 1 Mpg difference between DRW and SRW? Also are there any differences between the 2013 3500 DRW and a 2014 3500 DRW? I came across a 13 3500 DRW that caught my eye. Its a 2013 3500 DRW Limited mega cab Aisin auto, fully loaded including sun roof and all for $56,800. Dealer says they are offering it to me for $13k off MSRP. Decent deal?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
No difference between the 13 3500 DRW and the 14 3500 DRW trucks, but sometime very early next year, believe the 14 3500 DRW truck will get rear air ride type suspension...

$10,000 to $13,000 or a little more off MSRP isn't a bad deal in my book....The 13' model is a short build year....It really hasn't been out "THAT" long, but as you see, 14's are also out there now, so one should get a good deal on a 13'

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I just can't understand buying a dually if you are not hauling a cabover camper, or some very heavy gooseneck or 5th wheel. Buying a dually for a daily? It boggles the mind.

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
I just can't understand buying a dually if you are not hauling a cabover camper, or some very heavy gooseneck or 5th wheel. Buying a dually for a daily? It boggles the mind.
Same with someone driving a diesel and not even owning a trailer. To each his own...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol, I can see the reasoning. But I figure if Im spending this kind of change $ it better be worth it and keep me happy for at least 5 years (paid off). I guess if I go this 3500 DRW route I'll have to skip the McDonalds drive thru lane huh..?

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
Lol, I can see the reasoning. But I figure if Im spending this kind of change $ it better be worth it and keep me happy for at least 5 years (paid off). I guess if I go this 3500 DRW route I'll have to skip the McDonalds drive thru lane huh..?
Why would you do that? I have been going through drivethru's since 1989. If the mirrors fit, the hips fit. Don't let people scare you. If you can drive, a dually is no different then a SRW

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have ever towed anything over 4000 pounds with a dually than you know the differance in stability and confidence it inspires ps awsome. Have had duallys since 99 as daily driver and never been an issue. I do not live in a bowntown area like LA or SF but I belive if tou cannot handle driving a dually you should not be driving a full size truck. Besides they look better in fact every time I see a srw 3500 I think what a waste of potential.

·
World Champs!!!
28,248 Posts
They look better.:hehe: Now there's a logical argument :rolleyes:

Yep, nothing looks better than a crunched dually flare...don't go a day without seeing one completely wiped out...either the drivers' fault or another drivers' fault, doesn't matter.

I think the same thing, all these clowns running around with a dually and never tow anything. What a waste of potential.

See what I did there? Kinda sucks turned back around on ya, huh?:hehe:

If you don't need a dually, why get one? Two more tires to replace. Additional width DOES play a factor, there's the occasional drive thru where a SRW barely fits, let alone a dually. Mirrors are a bad judge of width, because there are certainly poles and such below the mirrors that will mangle the outer wheel or flares; mirrors clear fine, the rest doesn't.

The stability on 4k lbs is negligible at best, get up in the heavier weights, say 10k, yeah you'll notice it. Still, if you don't tow 10k often, don't get a dually.

If you tow a fair amount of time, and a fair amount of weight, then go for it. But if your towing/hauling is rare, or limited to a boat or ATV trailer, skip it. I've seen Carl's rig for example, and certainly think it warrants a DRW.

I mean, OP's choices are '14 2500 and '13/14 3500 DRW. Two totally different market segments there. His original choice of 2500 tells me he doesn't need a dually.

Yes, duallies can look great, not trying to knock them at all. Their forte is less bopping around town, and more eating up the miles on the highway with a load. And there are certainly those that get them strictly for looks, and I get that to a point.

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
Yep, nothing looks better than a crunched dually flare...don't go a day without seeing one completely wiped out...either the drivers' fault or another drivers' fault, doesn't matter.
You must live in a place with a bunch of bad drivers. I would be afraid to live where you do LMFAO

Reactions: DaelorO12

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I haul a 14k 5th wheel with my 3500 SRW all through the mountains of northern CA, OR, and WA and it feels solid as a rock. I've never once wished I had a dually. If we were talking 18k+, I might feel differently.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.