Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 2500 ctd 4x4 I bought brand new. I am at 40,000 miles. Somehow I have overlooked the service on the transfer case and the front and rear diff. So I looked in the book and it says to change the transfer case at 48 months or 60,000 miles. Oops I went way over on time. But I cant find where it recommends when to change the axle fluid both front and back. It only says if used for heavy towing or taxi service to change it once a year. But if not used for any of that, makes no recommendation of when to change. When do you all service your axles? And does anyone know what the recommend axle service is? Have I already screwed up on this. Truck sits more than it should in the shop and is only used to tow our camper about 6 times a year, and a 100 mile round trip to work when I think its sat too long. Sorry for long story..... Thanks all.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 2014 2500 ctd 4x4 I bought brand new. I am at 40,000 miles. Somehow I have overlooked the service on the transfer case and the front and rear diff. So I looked in the book and it says to change the transfer case at 48 months or 60,000 miles. Oops I went way over on time. But I cant find where it recommends when to change the axle fluid both front and back. It only says if used for heavy towing or taxi service to change it once a year. But if not used for any of that, makes no recommendation of when to change. When do you all service your axles? And does anyone know what the recommend axle service is? Have I already screwed up on this. Truck sits more than it should in the shop and is only used to tow our camper about 6 times a year, and a 100 mile round trip to work when I think its sat too long. Sorry for long story..... Thanks all.....
I also have a 2014 that I bought new and it now has 80,000. I just changed the fluid for the first time in the transmission, both diffs and the transfer case. All fluid that came out was clean and smelled good. I think you are fine. Just put some fresh fluid in there and you'll be good.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
You're fine. And so is the truck. You'd be surprised how many vehicles are on the road with 3, 4, 6times as many miles on original fluid. Not saying it's right, but....
Just do it now and call it good for another 7 years. My old 07 Ram, 180k+ miles, I changed the fluid, when new, around 15k, again around 90 and again around 160k. Trans (manual), t case and diffs and I think I skipped one time on the front diff because it looked like new still. Zero issues and none expected for a long time for the new owner.

·
Registered
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,102 Posts
Unless you tow heavy, get the diffs in water, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just change the fluid and move on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts