Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my shop I have a 2013 5500 that came in low power until 2,000 rpm tons of black smoke then little spurts while powering and at cruise. Also all with a nasty vibration at idle and a possible fuel knock. 210k on the mileage. Last shop did fuel filters, 6 new Bosch injectors, valve cover gasket. NO CODES truck has been deleted probably many moons ago. No boost leaks, turbo is actuating, diesel is diesel, air box is good and so is the filter. On my snap on I cannot find what they named the fuel pressure regulator on the cp3 rail pressure at idle kinda sticks with the commanded. Haven’t Drained the oil yet. Was looking into either a cp3 or the pressure relief on the front of the rail. Any additional advice would be amazing and appreciated. We are generally a ford shop have toyed minimal with the dodges and their high pressure fuel systems.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It is likely the FCA. Fuel control actuator. I replaced the one on my dads truck with a Cummins one from Genos. We never got any codes. It gives the computer wrong information on what the CP3 is doing. We also had a bad idle. It bounced everywhere from almost stalling out to fine back and forth the entire time.
Don’t buy a non Cummins FCA. Cheaper FCA parts are hit and mis on quality and fail more often. Its three screws and a double torque sequence in inlb to get it done. Took about 20 minutes.
Edit: my command and actual fuel pressure were almost identical. The FCA just fed the computer wrong numbers.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you unplug the FCA and start the truck and the engine doesn't miss and buck you will probably know the CP3 pump is going out, anyway, that is what my truck recently did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts