Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
I was just checking to see if you were going to post endlessly about the shortcomings of that one too.

MachAF, good luck.

Keep Truckin

You do realize Ram offers another HD transmission right?
I believe we've been talking about the 68RFE the entire post. Maybe I wasn't clear enough....
What I don’t understand is you talk about how bad this transmission is but won’t consider one of the others Ram offers. Until 2019 you had 3 to choose from. While ford and gm only offer one. You can check out the others forums and you’ll see like all manufactures each has its issues. But thank God we live in the USA where you are free to choose who you give your hard earned money to and the government of course. Good luck

On your error, could just be low oil or loose filter. Make sure you are choking the level properly.

I’ll definitely agree the 68rfe is a poor design. They are very fail prone, and have weaknesses. When the transmission was designed, it was built to handle a set max HP. At the time, it was higher than needed. But as the power wars increased, it was quickly under.

RAM even admits the 68rfe is not as good. They out sourced a better transmission for 1ton n up high output. Ford and GM only offer one automatic. The ONLY reason RAM has 2 power levels IS because of the 68RFE.

The 68rfe is an in house designed and built transmission, it costs them ~$400 or so per unit. Compared to the stronger outsourced transmission that costs RAM more per unit. Thus affecting how much RAM Makes per truck. So RAM de rates 3/4 tons and offers a stronger transmission on many 1ton n up trucks.

Buy a FORD diesel and get same power rating across the board.
Buy a GM diesel and get the same power rating across the board.
Buy a RAM diesel and you have different power ratings.. why? Is it to offer the consumer more options? Humm, no. It’s cause the 68rfe reached its design max years ago.

If the 68rfe could be built to handle 450HP, RAM would have done it already. They would save millions a year by only using an in house transmission.

Look, in a completely stock application, when used under rated value ( towing), the 68rfe can last as long as the Cummins. But, add a cold air intake or ~5 more HP, and the usable life will decrease. Our larger tires, and usable life will decrease. ( install lower gears will help). Tow 8 more oz over rated numbers and the usable life will be shorter.

It’s the same for built transmissions. Absolutely no 68rfe built at any price with impossible metal will only handle ~380HP. You can buy a $36,000 transmission rated to hold 500hp, and only feed it 400hp and it’ll fail. It’s a design flaw and limit, nothing you can do or build will make a 68rfe last long with more than 400hp... you’ll see those that will disagree, and say they have a built transmission and 400hp ands fine. But they probably drive less than 80,000 yr or never tow.

Anyway, I have a real good hate for the RFE line of transmissions. The 545 and 68 are just poor and limited designs.

Obviously, all the major tucks have their own unique issues. Ford and GM trucks have their own common flaws too. Switching will just change what the common fail point is.

It’s the same for built transmissions. Absolutely no 68rfe built at any price with impossible metal will only handle ~380HP. You can buy a $36,000 transmission rated to hold 500hp, and only feed it 400hp and it’ll fail. It’s a design flaw and limit, nothing you can do or build will make a 68rfe last long with more than 400hp... you’ll see those that will disagree, and say they have a built transmission and 400hp ands fine. But they probably drive less than 80,000 yr or never tow
Blah, Blah, Blah! Absolutely useless garbage spewed. You have no clue when you post crap like this.

Reactions: HeavyTwo
I have yet to have a 68rfe fail with me. I also have a built 68rfe. I still wouldn’t trust a “550” or higher to handle 400hp+ for any length of time.

I only have a built transmission to extend the usable life. I figure a stock unit will last 30,000 or so. A built unit maybe 40,000. So a little longer life. ( who knows, maybe 300,000 and 400,000 or 3000 and 4000, point is the built unit will last a little longer)

I had a truck with a 545rfe, and I now have 3 transmissions I rotate through. One installed, one built on standby, and a 3rd getting rebuilt or also on standby. I have to rotate 3 to 4 times a year. Granted, it’s a race truck.

The 68 is basically like a 545 but 20% larger. I’m planning on replacing the “built” transmission every year or two. For me the 68 is like tires, it’s a consumable and will need replacing every so often.

Well, I guess I can see your frustrations. I know two people with Ford Fusions that have over 150,000 plus miles and they’ve been great cars. I had one, same year as theirs, had a ball joint fail at 65,000 miles, rear defrost quit at 40,000 and transmission went without warning at 72,000 miles. I said I would never buy another 13-18 fusion.

Have a friend who bought the best selling trucks and the best quality trucks, which is Ford as we all already know, right?!!!! He bought it new in 2013. It has 55,000 on it, the rear defrost has failed twice and the rear bed panels are rusting out. He took extremely good care of this truck and still does.

I know these aren’t Ram trucks we are talking about and I’m actually a Ford guy. I’m just saying, I get where you’re coming from O.P. We all know that they all have problems. But you are on Cummins Forum. Lol

We will tend to be Cummins loyal, not Ram loyal. Too many Powerstroke designs over the past 15 years compared to the same basic engine design that goes back to the 80s with the Cummins for me to shake the thought of going to a Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you threw a trans code so obviously something is up, time to diagnose and figure it out. It is what it is, could be something simple. Parts fail sometimes.

If you want to buy another truck over it, feel free and help the economy. Spend thousands in sales tax, etc. I’d slow my roll and figure out why your trans isn’t operating properly before I’d sell the farm. JMO, best of luck. Rye

Reactions: plumber802
I'm just a newbie owner with only 5000 miles. My impression of the transmission is it feels "truck like". It is a bit rough and gruff but I thought that was designed in as part of the heavy duty engineering. I like the early TC lockup feature, makes it feel like a manual with better fuel economy. When towing, I like firm shifts. Slushy transmissions build heat.

Not really surprised at the brand loyal fool responses...what else is new here. The amazing thing is those who continue stand by the joke of a transmission the 68RFE is. Face it, its a slush box and everyone knows it, except the ones with their head up their...

I'm not brand loyal. All I want is reliability, I'd consider a Chevy with Allison but Ford has far more advanced features/tech.

I gave RAM a shot for 6 years but apparently it ain't worth a . 12 recalls...6+ years later I'm still getting recall letters.. Undeniable! WHAT A JOKE.

Peace fellas.
You didn't answer the question posed earlier..... Have you messed with it or is it bone-stock?

Just trying to figure out if the rest of us need to not do whatever is you did.

Be nice if you shared that with us.

So you threw a trans code so obviously something is up, time to diagnose and figure it out. It is what it is, could be something simple. Parts fail sometimes.

If you want to buy another truck over it, feel free and help the economy. Spend thousands in sales tax, etc. I’d slow my roll and figure out why your trans isn’t operating properly before I’d sell the farm. JMO, best of luck. Rye
Now, now...the voice of reason has no place in this thread...

This thread is for throwing bombs, and then watching the destruction and fallout!:wacky::bombsmile::kaboom:

29K in 6 years. For 4800 miles a year towing something I think I would just rent a truck when I need to tow before I drop 80K on a new one. But I do not come from money, nor am I saying you do, just looking at it from a bottom dollar standpoint.

No useful information just negative towards the trans.. I'm going to go ahead and call troll. Now if you want help fixing the issue please answer the questions relating to what you've done to the truck and describe your issue with more detail than just useless slushbox. If you dont want help than go ahead and wonder off.

Reactions: N of 60
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.