Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
For those of you that have installed a 2013+ pump, how have your reservoir solutions worked out?

Are there any lessons learned after using it for a while?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Only thing I really ran into was all the old low pressure hoses leaking from age and the higher pressure. Swapped out for new and good to go, except I think I need to replace the cooler as well as it's now starting to get wet with ATF fluid even though it's not dripping lol.

Otherwise while my mounting spot isn't the prettiest, undo the bolt holding it to the bracket and it shifts to the side and allows easy access to that entire area. So in 30 seconds you can have it out of the way.

Edit: Remember something else. If you use the 4th gen ram reservoir it's weird. There is a filter built into it. It appears to allow fluid through with ease if there is suction, but without suction it just pools on the filter and won't go through it. I found putting a vacuum on it sucks the fluid through as the air is removed. Then you don't have to let the pump spin dry until it pulls the fluid through.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Got my 12 pump and hose in today , all looks good ! Looks like it’s all gonna connect up just like the 2005 at the hydrobooster also .

·
Registered
413 Posts
I installed a new Mopar 2012 PS pump and hose a couple days ago. I can tell a difference and to me worth it.
I would say the 12 pump provides about a 20% - 25% more power turning my 35's over the 08 OEM pump.
But for me and the biggest win was its road mannerisms. It now seems to track straighter without wheel input or wandering. Before replacing, I always felt like I was providing steering input and maybe even felt as there was a dead spot in the steering.
I took the truck on the worst road I have in my area and it tracked perfectly and even was able to lay one hand on top of the wheel to navigate with ease and minimal input. That was the reason I wanted to upgrade to begin with.
(Someone mentioned braking capabilities with the upgrade but I honestly can not tell any discernable difference between the two pumps)
For me, it was worth the upgrade. Just wanted to update...
Be safe all!

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
That’s good to hear ! I’m on my factory 2005 pump and the 08 is supposed to be better than the 05 so I should see a nice bump in performance. I have that dead spot in the middle everyone talks about , if this pump will get rid of that I’ll be super happy .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Spooled: it helped my dead spot with the upgrade but I also have the new 6 bolt Mopar box and everything upfront is in great condition so I hope it helps for you too.
I'm not sure if you have the 08 pump or not but when I was price checking PS pumps...the 08 pump has an insane price tag over the 2012. I have no clue why either but when checking Mopar, the 2012 and 2018 were around $400 or so but the 08 was over $1000.
Good luck;)

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I’ve got the bigger steering box on mine so hopefully it helps , gonna install today so we’ll see ! Everything in my front end is fairly new and tight . I picked up my mopar pump new for 315$ and the hose for around 68$

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
One thing I did post about the 6 bolt boxes if you have the Mopar upgrade, it was in another thread, is making sure it's centered.

I found mine was not centered and was actually off a little bit. I expected it to come centered from Mopar. This was adding to the play as the steering is the tightest at dead center and loosens as you turn. So box being off center and already being partially turned is looser than it should be.

Mine is very tight now after being centered and the 2013+ pump.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nosympathy... would you have the link to the box centering? I'm interested. I suppose mine is but would like to learn more in case something happens down the road.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Nosympathy... would you have the link to the box centering? I'm interested. I suppose mine is but would like to learn more in case something happens down the road.
The way I did it, was park the truck with the steering wheel dead center. Remove the steering linkage from the pitman arm. Then turn the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right. You should be able to work out where the middle is from this. I want to say I had a total of 3 1/2 turns. Find where the steering box is dead center from that and turn the wheel there. Once there, you'll need to disconnect the steering shaft from the gear box and turn the steering wheel to center it. Turn it the shortest distance required to get it centered. Otherwise you'll risk breaking the clock spring and they aren't cheap. Then use some kind of strap to strap the steering wheel down inside the cab dead center. I used one of those rubber cargo straps and put the hooks on the seat adjuster bar. They also make specific holders that press into the seat if you want. Then reattach the steering shaft, reattach the linkage. To do that you either need to lengthen it first or turn the steering wheel until the pitman arm reaches (don't recommend turning the pitman arm.) Then adjust the steering wheel to be dead center again.

That's it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The clock spring is $165 at Napa.

Lesson learned.

Being properly centered made a lot of difference for me. I initially installed my box off center and when I brought it back to center the steering was much more settled.

Take the time to verify this is correct.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just having my steering wheel about 15* off because I hadn't had time to adjust it back straight made the truck annoying to drive. Centered it and it calms down completely. I don't think the 4 bolt box was this finicky.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That makes sense! I did some research last night (google) regarding this and I saw where some removed the Pitman arm but that was the source of their complaint. I like your way better without removing the arm.
Thanks NoSympathy!

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I just finished my install and it all connects just like factory, I didn’t order the bracket that bolts to the block , I just notched the hole since it only needed to slide back an 1/8”

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Took it for a rip and could instantly tell more power braking which is always good , steering seems to be better staying strait . I got some hwy time to do tomorrow so we’ll see , so far I’m impressed.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I just finished my install and it all connects just like factory, I didn’t order the bracket that bolts to the block , I just notched the hole since it only needed to slide back an 1/8”
Didnt need the banjo fitting line?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Yes , that’s the line I bought . All the part numbers are in the pics I posted earlier .

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Just to make things clear this is the hose I bought and it’s the banjo fitting and connects to the hydrobooster identical to the 2005

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
This will be helpful when I finally get around to doing my box and pump and lines. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

41 - 59 of 59 Posts