Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at them hard this week. Man BIG discounts, 12,000 off sticker. Nice interior. But they are just too damn ugly...I can't do it.

I drove Fords for a long time, until my 2005 f-350 with 6.0 Diesel made me change. That engine was a turd, and, I do not like the fact that they are having catastrophic engine failures caused by water in fuel problems.

So I wait, and wait, and wait.

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts
I had a '06 6.0 that was one issue after another. bought Dodge ram last August, and I have zero regrets. I have learned that with the 6.0 fords, you either had a good one or you did not. I still get a grin from ear to ear everytime I drive this truck. Sold truck was special ordered & very well maintained. I could bore you to tears with all the issues I had with it. I read the powerstroke forums some, & yes, fuel related problems & turbo issues are still giving Ford fits, so to say. Buy the Dodge, don't look back, you'll be well satisified.

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts
I had 4 6.0L Power Strokes - zero problems a 2003, 2004, & two 2006's
I sure wish I could have claimed that. Sensors, 3 sets of upper & lower Ball joints, turbo replacement. Buying a new truck last year was not on the financial callendar last year, but I could not depend on it any more. The final straw was coolant loss with no leaks. I traded the truck with 62,000 miles. It was well maintained. Ford's customer service, a bunch of lip service there:banghead:. Glad you had good luck with yours. No one should have to put the amount of money that went into sold truck:spank:. Most of it was warranty covered too.

Edit: JAXCUMMINS's, if you had such good luck with them, why did you buy a Dodge Ram? Not trying to pick, just curious.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a customer that had blown two 6.7 powerstrokes and both times Ford denied the warranty. Each time it was a 20,000 repair bill....

If they get any water in the fuel pump it blows the engine.

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts
I have a customer that had blown two 6.7 powerstrokes and both times Ford denied the warranty. Each time it was a 20,000 repair bill....

Sad part is, unless a person has some deeeeep pockets, how many with that problem, does the truck just sit, and payments continue on:doh:.

·
Banned
387 Posts
You must have only keep them a couples of days :rof
I put 90,000 miles on two of them and the other ones i had for about 40,000 miles...:thumbsup:

Keep the fuel water seperator drained, 3,000 mile oil change intervals, and always give it time to warm before driving it and you have a good truck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put 90,000 miles on two of them and the other ones i had for about 40,000 miles...:thumbsup:

Keep the fuel water seperator drained, 3,000 mile oil change intervals, and always give it time to warm before driving it and you have a good truck.
Soo you put a total of 260000 miles on 6.0 L Fords with no trouble ? If so you need to go stock up on some lottery tickets because you are the luckiest guy I have ever heard of :hehe:

If it is as simple as routine maintinence looks like Ford would not have bought back thousands of these trucks as lemons !

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts

Did that, been there, and it did not WORK. Either you had a good one, or you did not.

·
Banned
387 Posts
I was very lucky then... my 7.3L gave me more issues... crank shaft position sensor after crank shaft position sensor... glow plug after glow plug... glow plug relay after another... HPOP... No injector issues though...

my 6.7L Power Stroke didn't have any issues but the TorqShift 6 is a peice of C H I T!

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts
My uncle has a 2001 f-250 7.3 diesel, with over 400,000 miles, and has had very few issues with his truck. He still has it, and is not thinking of parting with it. It was based on his good luck with his truck I bought my 6.0, go figure I guess. I recieved law suit settlement papers about a month ago, still waiting to hear from them. What the lawyers made off of Ford's mess is shameful, compared to what the actual owners will recieve.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Issues with the HPFP, a Bosch CP4 fuel pump is causing some problems with the 6.7 Ford and Ford is not working well with some of it's most devoted "loyalist" customers....Ram uses the CP3 proven HPFP, no problems.

Ford isn't that good looking of a truck to be sure and with issues and very little customer service, it might be a good reason for them to give big discounts on their 13' trucks..

I'd stick with the Ram, or if you're in a hurry, buy a proven GM/Chevy D/A..though it isn't as good looking inside and out as the Ram either...

Reactions: JAXCUMMINS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also had a truck with the 6.0 Powerstroke with no problems. An '05 Excursion. Sold it after about 30-40K miles. Even put a Banks Six Gun on it which upped HP to somewhere around 450-500 and torque to around 800 lbft for short durations. Had no issues there either.

Gotta bear in mind that there are a heckuva lot of Fords on the road vs. Rams, so we're bound to hear of more issues on the Ford side. Am not suggesting they're godly, but I can't imagine - objectively speaking - that they're materially poorer in overall quality vs Ram given their sales figures. I say this as someone who has no skin in the game - Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram - doesn't matter to me. Get whatever floats your boat. But none of these brands/products are terrible, they just appeal to different folks' varying needs and wants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have an 03 f550 wrecker . 6.0 bought it with 120000 mi 4 years ago. put 50000 on it. injecters, hpop, sensers, ect, it has been to the ford dealer so many times i honestly dont know how many. now it smokes it idle , really bad. no power , acts like its running on 7 cylinders up to 2000 rpm. i could go on. i hate the truck
bought an 06 f350 new . 70,000 miles . i alternator. it purred like a kitten.

after all of the trouble with the 03, i was affraid to drive the 06 . i sold it.

finally solved all of the problems with the 03. it should be delivered in abou 2 weeks. a 13 5500.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Old guy I work with has a '13 powerstroke. It's a very nice truck and has lots of get up and go, but I still prefer a ram

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: JAXCUMMINS

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Water in the fuel will ruin any diesel truck ownwers day. As far as blowing the engine from a little water, hmmm , i do lots of research and find no blown 6.7L engines from water. On the other hand there have been several HPFP's and related fuel system components on the Ford 6.7L due to water in fuel and taking out the CP4.2 fuel pump at a cost of 11-12K. Most have been denied warranty due to people accidently adding DEF to the fuel tank, as the Ford has the fillers side by side. DEF is 67% water and even a little spillage of the DEF in to the fuel will amount to enough water to score a HPFP. GM uses the same CP4.2 pump as the Ford and Volkswagon, and has had no issues with their pumps at all( GM's DEF fill is under the hood by the way).

Secondly, why do we want to compare to the Ford 6.0L still, hasn't been in production since 2007 almost 7 years ago. Ya it had issues, but compare 2013 to 2013 not 2013 to 2007, this isn't a viable comparison at all. Rather have an engine quit than a tie rod end snap, nudge, nudge:stirpot:( safety reasons)

So after all that if it were my decision, currently i would take the Ram over Ford, mostly for exterior reasons. But since the new GM HD(all new interior and subtle exterior changes) is coming soon, i will be looking hard at them for sure.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Issues with the HPFP, a Bosch CP4 fuel pump is causing some problems with the 6.7 Ford and Ford is not working well with some of it's most devoted "loyalist" customers....Ram uses the CP3 proven HPFP, no problems.

Ford isn't that good looking of a truck to be sure and with issues and very little customer service, it might be a good reason for them to give big discounts on their 13' trucks..

I'd stick with the Ram, or if you're in a hurry, buy a proven GM/Chevy D/A..though it isn't as good looking inside and out as the Ram either...
And this is where I stepped into the discussion a couple of months ago. I have been a Ford loyalist my entire life. My grandfather worked for the same dealership for more than 60 years. But that dealership closed, and no one has picked up the slack. I bought 6.4 last year, and have put 20K miles on it so far. It has been good overall, but it seems to crap out at the most inopportune times. ( oh you need to tow your rv back from the dealership after coming back from vacation? [I'm a fulltimer] Let's break NOW)

After having a warranty claim denied 500 miles into it, a 3 week out of warranty claim, and a bad sensor, I'm done. I made my peace with the fact that Ford doesn't want to play the customer service game anymore (and has a piss poor warranty), and I jumped ship. With the exception of my Harley, this is the first non-Ford vehicle in my life. Although Ram has not impressed me with the release of the 3500s this year, it is only one point so far, and they deserve the opportunity to show me they are worth my time and money.

That is the long winded version of my two cents. YMMV

·
Registered
54 Posts
To Ram or not to Ram

I don't see a lot a apples to apples comparisons here. As others mentioned we are trying to compare a 2013 model Ram 3500 to a Ford F350. That said, I have owned a Ram 3500 for the past 14 years and it is time for a new truck. Actually, it is past time. I could not wait any longer so I a taking delivery of a new F350 DRW tomorrow. I hope it is a good one.

As far as appearances go the Ram is a much nicer looking truck but the Ford is not butt ugly. The rear fenders are the worst part. I personally think the Ford has a nicer interior, looks and features wise.

So bottom line with me. If I were to have been able to go out and buy a truck and actually get the darn thing without waiting forever. The Ram 3500 would have been my choice.

If the F350 is not what I want. I will trade it in a year or two and get my Ram 3500. Hell, I will most likely trade in a couple years either way.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't see a lot a apples to apples comparisons here. As others mentioned we are trying to compare a 2013 model Ram 3500 to a Ford F350. That said, I have owned a Ram 3500 for the past 14 years and it is time for a new truck. Actually, it is past time. I could not wait any longer so I a taking delivery of a new F350 DRW tomorrow. I hope it is a good one.

As far as appearances go the Ram is a much nicer looking truck but the Ford is not butt ugly. The rear fenders are the worst part. I personally think the Ford has a nicer interior, looks and features wise.

So bottom line with me. If I were to have been able to go out and buy a truck and actually get the darn thing without waiting forever. The Ram 3500 would have been my choice.

If the F350 is not what I want. I will trade it in a year or two and get my Ram 3500. Hell, I will most likely trade in a couple years either way.
Did they shoot you a big discount? Ford is going 12,000 off a 63,000 truck here.

I am waiting but if there is $5,000 plus difference I may buy the Furd.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.