Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1858 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that more and more guys are getting their 2013 trucks, it seems like mileage posts are in threads on other topics. So in an effort to get this info in one area and the other threads on topic, I thought I'd start a thread for guys to post what they are getting with their 2013's.

Seems like it would be a great idea to post mileage both on evic as well as hand calculated, type of driving (towing or empty, highway or town split % within reason and if in mountains, note that if you would). It would also be great if you could list what engine/trans/gears you have if it's not in your sig!

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Lets get it started with some past posts..

BigMoney - 2013 2500 Mega Laramie Longhorn 4x4 SRW :
I have 1395 miles on my 13 and it has not broke the full mark on the DEF guage. It has 13 hours idle time and 29 driving. According to display I have used 78 gallons of fuel.
Woodman - 2013 2500 Laramie mega cab. Black - 3.42's / BFG's 285-70-17's hard top tonneau cover / :
Heres what I got so far. 899 miles. Got the truck with 14 miles on it after the turbo repair, so 885 miles 47 gals of fuel. it works out to about 18.8 mpg. A little better then I thought. Now this is all kinds of driving, also some pretty crazy driving and 34 mile towing of a boat up hill most of the way. Now I don't fell so bad about punching it at stops.
Go Hogs Go - 2013 2500 Mega :
I figured mine this morning. 28 gallons used in 497 miles. 17.75 mpg. That is with 2 120 mile round trips and 14 miles back and forth to work everyday. 397 miles were with the 34.4" tires. I'm pretty impressed so far. Way more torque throughout the powerband then the 6.7 Ford.
mtday - 2013 2500 Big Horn :
This is for the first tank through the truck. About 75% city or stop and go traffic, the rest was 60-70mph freeway. No towing, no heavy (over 1000 pound) payloads. Truck warmed up for 5-10 minutes every morning.

401.35 miles, adjusted from odometer for increased tire size. 26.52 gallons of fuel. 15.13 mpg.
Bubbas2013 - 2013 2500 Mega:
Idle 10 Hours
Driving 37 Hours
Gallons of fuel used 90
Miles on truck 1768

·
Registered
300 Posts
my average is 18.6 overall so far. That includes 6 hours of idle time, mostly highway empty, some city, some traffic, & one haul so far - medium towing.

Some specifics from the EVIC trip odometer (which seems to be accurate):
830 mile trip South from North GA to Marathon Key with a 30' 8800lb (approx) boat net 14.2 (65-70mph on Interstate and 40-45mph on the 2lane)

830 mile empty return trip North @ (75-80 mph on the interstate portion) net 20.2

DEF tank is just under 3/4 at approx. 3000 miles which is much better than I had thought it would be.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
56 gallons used in 1289 miles

Idle 2 hours

Driving 35 hours

That averages to 23 miles to the gallon
Holy cow! 23.0178571429 to be exact! :shock:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
my average is 18.6 overall so far. That includes 6 hours of idle time, mostly highway empty, some city, some traffic, & one haul so far - medium towing.

Some specifics from the EVIC trip odometer (which seems to be accurate):
830 mile trip South from North GA to Marathon Key with a 30' 8800lb (approx) boat net 14.2 (65-70mph on Interstate and 40-45mph on the 2lane)

830 mile empty return trip North @ (75-80 mph on the interstate portion) net 20.2

DEF tank is just under 3/4 at approx. 3000 miles which is much better than I had thought it would be.
Your DEF usage is way better than I thought we would see out of these trucks...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Most of the mpg's reported, are in the range where a couple weeks ago, they would have been challenged to prove it! Seems like what those early posters said is true. MPG is improved, even if naysayers don't like it.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Most of the mpg's reported, are in the range where a couple weeks ago, they would have been challenged to prove it! Seems like what those early posters said is true. MPG is improved, even if naysayers don't like it.
The quotes I posted are from earlier posts. From what I remember there was only 1 post that was challenged. That was the person saying they got something like 15mpg towing 14,000lbs going 65-70mph. Jax got beat up on a bit, but it wasn't about his number not being accurate, it was the about the way he got his number of around 25mpg..

So far, the numbers being posted here, and the info on the type of driving they did, makes sense. SCR allows for better mpg vs in-cylinder EGR because the emissions is done as an after treatment.

I know when I heard they were going to SCR, I was expecting (for SRW trucks) empty mpg to be 17-19 mpg for most folks and if someone is mostly hwy and driving conservative, they might get 22mpg. These are about what I got on my old 5.9... Towing, I don't expect to be much different than past 4th gen trucks... Towing heavy 8-10mpg and towing lite 10-15mpg... All dependent on what is being towed, speed and terrain type.. And I still don't believe someone is going to get 15mpg with 14,000lbs in tow, going 65+ mph...

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The quotes I posted are from earlier posts. From what I remember there was only 1 post that was challenged. That was the person saying they got something like 15mpg towing 14,000lbs going 65-70mph. Jax got beat up on a bit, but it wasn't about his number not being accurate, it was the about the way he got his number of around 25mpg..

So far, the numbers being posted here, and the info on the type of driving they did, makes sense. SCR allows for better mpg vs in-cylinder EGR because the emissions is done as an after treatment.

I know when I heard they were going to SCR, I was expecting (for SRW trucks) empty mpg to be 17-19 mpg for most folks and if someone is mostly hwy and driving conservative, they might get 22mpg. These are about what I got on my old 5.9... Towing, I don't expect to be much different than past 4th gen trucks... Towing heavy 8-10mpg and towing lite 10-15mpg... All dependent on what is being towed, speed and terrain type.. And I still don't believe someone is going to get 15mpg with 14,000lbs in tow, going 65+ mph...
I totally agree with the above in bold red Dae.

However, gto19 is doing very well at (barely) just over 23--especially when you consider towing a motorcycle a couple times as that will knock the overall tank MPG down a bit. I try to get as good of mileage as I can when I drive my truck and can only manage mid to high 17's on average and I have lock-out front hubs so I would be ecstatic with 23. :party018:

Keep posting your tank mileage '13 owners and get those signatures updated so we know what truck/gears/tranny you have and let us know a bit how you drove on that tank full.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have an mpg question. This will be my first diesel truck. I was wondering if using A/C has a noticeable affect on fuel economy like it does with lower torque gas engines? Is there enough of a load from the compressor to bring mpg down by a mile or more?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

If you're seeing what you posted in a modern day vehicle, it would be very unusual. These days, everything is electronic, and they have it set up where if you need more power, the car will auto cycle the AC so power/mpg isn't drained, like in the past...

I remember when it was said to not run the AC to save fuel. From what I've read, in the last 10 years, it no longer holds true and running the AC should yield better mpg than running with the windows down. Basically it's a non-issue, unless you're in a controlled environment for testing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here are mileage numbers for the last tank, with photos! This tank included 200 miles of towing. Half of the towing was city streets or stop and go freeway traffic, the other half was 60-65mph freeway. The non-towing miles on this tank were about the same breakdown as above. Tires on this truck are 5% larger than stock and have been on since 81 miles. Keep that in mind when looking at the EVIC photos.

Also 50 of the towing miles were through 6" of snow/ice in 4wd the whole time and included rush hour gridlock for 20 miles. Took me 1 1/2 hours to make that drive:doh:

370.44 adjusted miles, 26.2 gallons: 14.4 mpg.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Is the idle time calculated when in park only, or is it also when in gear stopped(stop light, construction delay). Seems like an awful lot of idle time compared to run time on the posts so far. My idle time (in park) is maybe 20 minutes per week, i never run it at idle except first thing in the morning for a minute to warm up. It would take me months to get 8 hours of idle time. Thanks

1 - 20 of 1858 Posts