Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to buy a new truck. Have a chance to get a 13' 2500 limited with 68rfe for $52k. Also looking at a 14' Laramie with the Aisin for $55.5k. What would you all do? Is the 14 THAT much better than the 13? Not going to be towing heavy. More of a daily driver but will pull 25ft center console bay boat during summer. Really like the Limited but I am intrigued by the Aisin and it's resale value. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The 14 is worth buying. The rear suspension is awesome and the 3 link front end really has this truck driving nice.

Jason

·
Registered
352 Posts
I plan my 2013 to be a "10 year own" so I specifically DID NOT want the air suspension system. I have had them on 2 cars in the past and both had problems. (Leaks, air pump croaked, etc...) So I will deal with a few more bumps.

On the 68RFE Vs Aisin. If you haul heavy a lot, Aisin is a better choice. If not then its overkill. (I don't haul that often.) For me the second thought was that I can take the $2800 difference for the Aisin ove the 68RFE and get myself a nice rebuilt in the future if needed. Third was the Aisin maintenance interval is pretty frequent. (Fluid changes every 30K miles.)

Not that my criteria and anyone else s need to match. Take you're needs/wants and make your own choice.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Remember the 13 2500's dont have the steering/chassis updates your 13 3500 has ;) The 14 is worth spending the money on in 2500 flavor for those improvements alone. The Aisin is icing on the cake. I wasnt referencing the air suspension, i was referencing the coil 5 link rear on the 2500's.

Jason

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'd say $3,500 is worth the Aisin upgrade and a one year newer model year.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would do the '14. Heavier tranny, plus '14 is the first year of the frame, suspension, etc. upgrades on the 2500. 3500's did the upgrade in '13.

Well worth it, IMHO

If you were talking 3500's, I would say do the '13.

·
Registered
422 Posts
After driving the Aisin for a while, I would go with it if you are going to be towing heavy. The low first gear might be bothersome running empty a lot in traffic. Great trans though I love it and I am coming from a stick shift.
kk

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Isn't the Aisin on 3500s only? Anyway, it is "too good" for a pickup, just as the Cummins is "too good" so I would get it. If you search ramtrucks you can find leftover 13s at real good discounts, another possibility.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
aisin is 3500 only in the 14's to my knowledge.

In my mind the aisin will be worth more in resale than the limited package. I would not pay a dim extra for a limited used but maybe someone would.

the 14's have the new front suspension you should look at it. the steering is revised to a better setup IMO. I mean I have my truck conveted away from the T-style steering.

I think people make a bigger deal about the radius front suspension that it will show long term wen ford went to radius arm in 05 no dodge guy was running to buy a ford cause of that so why is it the new coolaid now???? a stock radius arm is ustually not the best suspension in the world if you look at most good aftermaket they don't have the fixed attament points on the upper mount like a facotry setup.

the steering system though should be better as the drag link is attached to knuckle.

the frame on the 14 is also stronger 55ksi steel with more cross bracing but in you described use that won't mean much.

In my mind you just have to wieght the more luxurious interior vs 1 year newer with the medium duty tranny. resale will be better on the 14 but it is also more money to start with.

my .02 is drive them and take how the one you like from behind the wheel. on the internet people put to much into paper specs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think many people are too caught up in the horsepower/heavy duty war. Remember when the cummins had 160 hp and was mated to a 727? Those trucks all hauled really well, even in stock form. I know of several first and second gen stock trucks, that have never had any trans issues, and have been worked everyday of their lives. Either trans will be fine for just about anybody.
For the guys hauling at max gcwr, I'm certain the Aisin has the advantage. To me, it's the programming that leaves a lot to be desired, but that is the case with all of the big three. They are tuning for emissions, not for driveability.
I say drive them both, and see which you prefer. My 68RFE has been flawless so far. The issues with drivetrain clunk on 3-4 shift or whatever, appears to be an issue of 'If I'm accelerating and let off fast, I get a clunk...' Well, I think any trans is going to hiccup if you are to the tin, then chop the throttle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The '13 2500 is just as "bad" as the '14 3500 in terms of empty ride quality. You may as well get the Aisin for a few bucks more. Resale will probably be much better. Luxury difference between Laramie and Limited is minimal. Most Laramies that I've seen have all the same options that the Limited has, anyway. I ordered a Limited because I like the "street truck" look of the painted bumpers and lack of fender flares.

Bottom line is that between the '13 2500 and the '14 3500, neither is the better daily driver in my opinion. The '14 2500 is a different story as far as HD trucks go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts