Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For 2012 the Ram 1500 pick-up will get an all-new base V6 engine, replacing the current unit with more power and improved fuel economy. According to a tweet by Ward's Auto, Chrysler powertrain boss Paolo Ferrero has confirmed the Ram will get the new corporate Pentastar V6 next year.

While 100 ccs smaller than the outgoing 3.7-liter unit, the new engine could produce as much as a 75-hp gain over the old block for a total of 290-hp, while torque is expected to rise from the 235 lb-ft level to around 260 lbs ft.

In addition to all that power, look for a fuel economy bump as well. With the current model rated at 14/20-mpg (city/highway), the gain could be as much as 2-mpg in each category, or more.

More: 2012 Ram 1500 to Get Pentastar V6 With Added Power, Fuel Economy on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've heard rumors that they're going to boost the power above 300hp.

Reactions: Jonlejoe

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I agree with D-RoK, a small gas engine with very little torque. I'm waiting for a small diesel to be excited about.
I'd really like to see a small diesel in the Dakota as well, be a great thing for small businesses and contractors.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
7,073 Posts
The pentastar will be a much needed improvement in the JK series. But I'm not going to rush out and trade mine in for one. I WILL however be at the dealership the day they decide to put diesels in them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the u.s. emissions laws are never gonna allow a light duty diesel. And if they somehow engineer an engine that does pass, its not going to be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
The pentastar will be a much needed improvement in the JK series. But I'm not going to rush out and trade mine in for one. I WILL however be at the dealership the day they decide to put diesels in them.
I agree 100%!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts