Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Have a 2012 3500 DRW 4x4 Reg cab with 65,000 miles and the VGT went out recently. Luckily for me it's stuck in the Open Position so I get full boost, but NO Engine Brake and CEL are on.

Have been debating whether to actually fix it or leave it alone. The truck now hits 100mph no problem gets 16-17mpg (I live in the hills). Only issues I have is the CEL (annoying) and it does smoke a bit when I really get on it. Previously would barely hit 85mph without struggling and 14-15 mpg was a good day. Thought it was the clutch but after replacing it went through 2 tanks of fuel the MPG was still 14-15 and still struggled to hit 85mph.

I also had the H&S tuner re-installed (was stolen while at the dealer before I bought the truck) with the clutch and shortly after the VGT started acting up then went out all together.

1. Should I just send it and run it as is? Would like to get the Exh Brake back. $0
2. Replace the Actuator with a Geno's/City Garage actuator (Most likely the issue) $700
3. Scrap the whole VGT and go compound with external Exh Brake? Can't find an Exh Brake that fits 5" exhaust. $4500+

I found a shop that will do the Turbo change at a reasonable price BUT they won't touch the H&S. They said they can't even tune deleted truck with HP-tuners anymore.

All I am looking for in this truck is Towing (hence wanting the Exh Brake) and decent fuel mileage. I used to get 21-23 mpg out of my 2004 but it had noticeably lower power, but was also a Quad cab.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Better have a real good relationship with a tuner or you won’t be getting delete tunes. Since this admin started going after wasteful bureaucracy budgets, they’ve really started ramping up the fines and “cease and desist” litigation. Maybe to plus up their shrinking budget, maybe to make the current administration look bad - whatever.

I think pacbrake makes a version of their inline exhaust brake in a 5” housing, fwiw. Saw a vid a while back of a guy with the pacbrake load leash mounted (an actual jacobs style compression brake) and the difference in deceleration over the stock turbo vane brake was dramatic. Using both together (assuming the vid wasn’t doctored) the truck ugga-dugga’d from 60 to 30 like he dropped an anchor. Granted, it was caveated as an unloaded truck at the time.

We keep seeing how awesome twins are for towing, but my money honestly if my truck was my paycheck I’d want reliability over anything else. If I was dead set on staying VGT, I’d go either BD screamer or Fleece cheetah. Otherwise I’d probably throw a 464 2nd gen swap on it (or a T4i-footed 464 in the 3rd/4th gen location). FYI, Fleece recently (finally!) came out with their own version of a real exhaust brake. It’s electric like the BD one and also runs off the stock switch and programming - so there’s that option as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,061 Posts
In my 07.5 6.7 I had an H&S and when my vgt stopped working in the closed position I installed the BD Diesel Iron Horn kit 64.5mm with the remote brake. Just installed 2 5x4" couplings because there is no need for a 5" exhaust other than for certain tone to install the 4 inch remote brake. Woke the truck right up. Spooled faster and barely any smoke on the 180hp tune. Towed heavy with it always had lots of weight in the box. Used entirely for the oilfield.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better have a real good relationship with a tuner or you won’t be getting delete tunes. Since this admin started going after wasteful bureaucracy budgets, they’ve really started ramping up the fines and “cease and desist” litigation. Maybe to plus up their shrinking budget, maybe to make the current administration look bad - whatever.
I honestly find this to be more BS than anything. I was hit myself indirectly when all that crap went down. I have tuning capabilities for Gas vehicles and all I had to do was sign a new agreement letter and do some online training and keep my software up dated. I think the Diesel Tuners just handled it all wrong. None the less I've always kept good relations with the right people.

Thanks for the Helpful input on the other info. and Yes I am more concerned about reliability so would like to steer away from Twins but not totally opposed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noted and Thank you!
In my 07.5 6.7 I had an H&S and when my vgt stopped working in the closed position I installed the BD Diesel Iron Horn kit 64.5mm with the remote brake. Just installed 2 5x4" couplings because there is no need for a 5" exhaust other than for certain tone to install the 4 inch remote brake. Woke the truck right up. Spooled faster and barely any smoke on the 180hp tune. Towed heavy with it always had lots of weight in the box. Used entirely for the oilfield.

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,771 Posts
I have tuning capabilities for Gas vehicles and all I had to do was sign a new agreement letter and do some online training and keep my software up dated. I think the Diesel Tuners just handled it all wrong.
Are you doing similar deletes to bypass emissions on gas vehicles?

Reactions: RamHunter18

·
Registered
6,434 Posts

I think pacbrake makes a version of their inline exhaust brake in a 5” housing, fwiw. Saw a vid a while back of a guy with the pacbrake load leash mounted (an actual jacobs style compression brake) and the difference in deceleration over the stock turbo vane brake was dramatic. Using both together (assuming the vid wasn’t doctored) the truck ugga-dugga’d from 60 to 30 like he dropped an anchor. Granted, it was caveated as an unloaded truck at the time.

We keep seeing how awesome twins are for towing, but my money honestly if my truck was my paycheck I’d want reliability over anything else. If I was dead set on staying VGT, I’d go either BD screamer or Fleece cheetah. Otherwise I’d probably throw a 464 2nd gen swap on it (or a T4i-footed 464 in the 3rd/4th gen location). FYI, Fleece recently (finally!) came out with their own version of a real exhaust brake. It’s electric like the BD one and also runs off the stock switch and programming - so there’s that option as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Correct me, the Load Leash is discontinued .

P67 LoadLeash Engine Brake Kit – Pacbrake

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you doing similar deletes to bypass emissions on gas vehicles?
Deleting Cats , turning off O2 sensors and retuning for performance/race applications. Yeah pretty much the same thing. Diesels typically don't do 1/2 the stuff we do with Gas Engines. We also tune for other fuels. E85, Alcohol, race gas, etc.

Also helps that there are SO MANY stand alone systems as well.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Correct me, the Load Leash is discontinued .

P67 LoadLeash Engine Brake Kit – Pacbrake
Ugh! Well there goes another product off the “things I wanna do” list for the truck. Probably low take-rate and some obscure emissions junk allegation as an excuse to impose a fine. Looks like CPP and a few other places online still have them in stock (or at least not showing as out-of-stock) so it might be worth giving a call if you’re interested and see if they have inventory. Heck, you might even end up with a closeout deal and getting it crazy cheap!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
BD Iron horse 364 kit. you can add the bd brake as well. I love my iron horse. I couldn't justify spending 900 bucks adding a new actuator to a used turbo. New oem failure prone turbo was 2800.... Bd iron horse was 1650....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
BD Iron horse 364 kit. you can add the bd brake as well. I love my iron horse. I couldn't justify spending 900 bucks adding a new actuator to a used turbo. New oem failure prone turbo was 2800.... Bd iron horse was 1650....
That appears to be the way I'll go.

I had the same thought's about fixing the Current stock turbo. Being that the Actuator crapped out in the Open position I actually like driving the truck with it's current situation. The CEL I get says something about No Boost Reading which is BS because I get boost readings on my H&S Display which come from the ECM. It does seem to be a bit low below 1000 rpms. less than 10psi.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I had already read up on the VGT problems so when mine acted up I wasn’t about to spend a dime on it. I used the iron horn 363, because of my altitude, and the 4 inch in-line brake... 2619 $ 2 1/2 years ago. I was told years ago that the 5 inch exhaust brake isn’t as effective as the four-inch and my truck was already deleted and had 4 inch turbo back so that worked out just fine for me. I like things simple and reliable so compounds aren’t even a consideration. These trucks run terrific with a better turbo and tuning. Craig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had already read up on the VGT problems so when mine acted up I wasn’t about to spend a dime on it. I used the iron horn 363, because of my altitude, and the 4 inch in-line brake... 2619 $ 2 1/2 years ago. I was told years ago that the 5 inch exhaust brake isn’t as effective as the four-inch and my truck was already deleted and had 4 inch turbo back so that worked out just fine for me. I like things simple and reliable so compounds aren’t even a consideration. These trucks run terrific with a better turbo and tuning. Craig
Nice! I want to keep mine simple. The 5" exhaust was on it when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
5 inch turbo back? Some of them still use a 4 inch downpipe and that would be convenient for a 4 inch exhaust brake. Craigs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts