Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 2500 Cummins 3:73 gears 110k.
On interstate at 70 mph and the carrier shaft holding the spider gears comes lose BOOM
Totally destroyed rear end. That ain’t all
In a bad spot on road. Engaged 4 wheel drive and truck moved. Got up to about 30 and on side of road and gears locked up rear end and ended up blowing front diff up. No sure of damage to transfer case. Going to tear it apart tomorrow. Can’t make this up. Has anyone else had the shaft come out of the carrier. It’s held in with a snap ring. 110k miles. Dam mad

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
That sucks. Interested to know info on the truck? Tuned? lifted, big tires? Did you tow a lot?

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
2012 2500 Cummins 3:73 gears 110k.
On interstate at 70 mph and the carrier shaft holding the spider gears comes lose BOOM
Totally destroyed rear end. That ain’t all
In a bad spot on road. Engaged 4 wheel drive and truck moved. Got up to about 30 and on side of road and gears locked up rear end and ended up blowing front diff up. No sure of damage to transfer case. Going to tear it apart tomorrow. Can’t make this up. Has anyone else had the shaft come out of the carrier. It’s held in with a snap ring. 110k miles. Dam mad
Not enough info here to even care:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This truck was a High output 2500. Factory rated at 800 torque. Pre def year. I deleted it at 75k and run a H/S pro (50 hp jump) not for more power but to clean up codes. Real happy with that. It’s main use is pulling the R/V. 30’ 5 the wheel. 3:73 cogs. Pulls really hard. What’s really disgusting is at 110 k it looks new. Not a ranch/ mineing truck life. Shaffers oil/ grease. Etc. wtf would of caused that shaft to come out of the carrier. Answer me that and where would I look to find like kind people with same issues. Going to call dodge Monday. I was totally happy with this rig up till now. But they all break
Got pics but might make you feel sic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow. so when the rear end blew up, lock in 4wd and try and keep goin? really?
entertaining for the rest of us.
When your jammed up in interstate traffic in a construction zone and assholes are trying to run you over if I can get out of harms way guess what. So what would you do??

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Pix

·
Registered
587 Posts
Happens out of nowhere. Had it happen to a 79 z28 I had. Locking bolt just broke and it locked up the rear. It broke the tranny yoke on a four speed and almost blew the cover off the Axle.
I bet the shaft split at the break and just dropped. Happens.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When your jammed up in interstate traffic in a construction zone and assholes are trying to run you over if I can get out of harms way guess what. So what would you do??
Pretty much what you did I guess. It was the 30 mph that caught my eye, though. Seems kinda fast when the rear is liable to lock up at any moment. I'm sure it made sense in the situation.

Reactions: Lins and Loki223

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
cool story bro

·
Registered
352 Posts
Happens out of nowhere. Had it happen to a 79 z28 I had. Locking bolt just broke and it locked up the rear. It broke the tranny yoke on a four speed and almost blew the cover off the Axle.
I bet the shaft split at the break and just dropped. Happens.
It happened to me out of nowhere as well when I dumped the clutch in my '70 Chevelle @ 9000rpm. Spider gears everywhere!

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
1,308 Posts
There ya go, 2 guys with GM products destroying their differentials. Had they had Dana 60’s, probably wouldn't have been a problem. Just kidding, I’m sure them 12 bolts are stout!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
There ya go, 2 guys with GM products destroying their differentials. Had they had Dana 60’s, probably wouldn't have been a problem. Just kidding, I’m sure them 12 bolts are stout!
Not as stout as late '60's and early '70's Mopars. Motors would window before a rear let loose, usually. I miss the old days.

Reactions: 5.7 Hemi

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,136 Posts
Pretty much what you did I guess. It was the 30 mph that caught my eye, though. Seems kinda fast when the rear is liable to lock up at any moment. I'm sure it made sense in the situation.
Same here, this went from a cheap easy fix to an expensive one at 30 mph.

·
Registered
467 Posts
At about 100k my rear diff needed to be rebuilt. Carrier bearings were trashed and I could hear a groaning from the rear. Mine is an ‘11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
637 Posts
Are you the original owner? If not, have you checked what the build sheet shows for original gears? Pics look like a straight up metallurgical failure though possibly. Like was said above, not enough info to discuss really, we can only bask with you in shitty luck.

All things considered the pumpkin doesn't look damaged. Might be able to salvage most and get a TrueTrac in there with some new gears. For the record, I'd have put it in 4WD and gotten off the road as well, but up to 30... :oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: Jimmy N.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts