Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down the road with the brake off I can hold the throttle still and the truck exhaust will go from loud to quiet. And do this continuously.... Is this the result of the turbo and brake acting up?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Would you describe it as surging? You should be able to monitor vgt position as well as boost with the race me monitor, that will help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not realy surging... Just a changine of tone and I get a stupid check engine light that is high EGR temp and I do not have no EGR or have it plugged in. Last time this happen I thought it was the air fileter.. Pulled it, cleaned and oiled it and it went away for a few months. I thought I read somewhere about the brake halfway sticking and doing this. If I have to change turbos it will not be the 4th gen style anymore...

Reactions: Andy2500

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sounds like your actuator is on its way out. Don't know why you would have an EGR code though. If you view the VGT desired and actual position on your monitor it may give you an idea.

If the actuator is getting lazy it won't always show on the monitor, at least mine didn't when it failed. Mine was reading within spec, but you could tell by the tone and the power it wasn't in the position it said it was.

Don't leave it too long, it will create a lot of back pressure running it while it is closed up.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the only option is a turbo replacement?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts