Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2011 Ram 5500 chassis cab a while ago for a good deal because it was knocking. I did a injector test where I disconnected a wire from each injector one by one and ran the truck. The results were that the knock went away almost entirely from disconnecting injector #6. In hopes of this I believed it was an injector knock. I bought the truck all 6 new injectors and had them installed. When it came time to run, the knock was still present. Being very confused, I did the disconnected injector #6 again and found the same results as before. What is the cause of this knock? I’m trying to avoid jumping to conclusions and calling it a rod/wrist pin/bearing knock because it doesn’t sound real bad. Things to mention, I did not program the injectors to the ecm, I was told it was not necessary, knock does not go away when in temp, and when revved, knock does not get louder, stays at volume just sounds more accelerated. I will try to upload a video of the noise

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Bought a 2011 Ram 5500 chassis cab a while ago for a good deal because it was knocking. I did a injector test where I disconnected a wire from each injector one by one and ran the truck. The results were that the knock went away almost entirely from disconnecting injector #6. In hopes of this I believed it was an injector knock. I bought the truck all 6 new injectors and had them installed. When it came time to run, the knock was still present. Being very confused, I did the disconnected injector #6 again and found the same results as before. What is the cause of this knock? I’m trying to avoid jumping to conclusions and calling it a rod/wrist pin/bearing knock because it doesn’t sound real bad. Things to mention, I did not program the injectors to the ecm, I was told it was not necessary, knock does not go away when in temp, and when revved, knock does not get louder, stays at volume just sounds more accelerated. I will try to upload a video of the noise
Disconnecting an injector or injector kill tests don’t indicate a bad injector. They help find the problem hole. Your second step should have been move the injector to a different hole and see if the noise followed.

New Bosch injectors? Or reman?

How’s blowsy or smoke?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts