Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2011 ram 2500 6.7 surging around 30 psi

494 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  N of 60 
#1 ·
had air in my coolant, bubbling in resivore after shut down. I replaced the HG and installed studs
Had no bubbling for the first 3 days after replacement now all of a sudden there’s air getting in again and bubbling when I turn it off. Not nearly as much as before but enough to notice and the top radiator hose gets very firm. Noticed wetness around my water pump so I ordered one and am gonna try that with my fingers crossed! ANY HELP WITH THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL. ALSO, now if I get into the throttle around 30 psi it starts to surge it sounds like. Not sure if that’s cause of the air getting in or what but it wasn’t doing it before the HG replacement and studs. I checked all my hosing clamps and all seems good I still have the butterfly valve in my intake as well not sure if that’s causing any issues any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

#2 ·
had air in my coolant, bubbling in resivore after shut down. I replaced the HG and installed studs
Had no bubbling for the first 3 days after replacement now all of a sudden there’s air getting in again and bubbling when I turn it off. Not nearly as much as before but enough to notice and the top radiator hose gets very firm. Noticed wetness around my water pump so I ordered one and am gonna try that with my fingers crossed! ANY HELP WITH THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL. ALSO, now if I get into the throttle around 30 psi it starts to surge it sounds like. Not sure if that’s cause of the air getting in or what but it wasn’t doing it before the HG replacement and studs. I checked all my hosing clamps and all seems good I still have the butterfly valve in my intake as well not sure if that’s causing any issues any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Did you do a hot torque on the head bolts after running it for a bit?

#3 ·
Do you have a scanner that you can monitor your exhaust pressure. It should be around 2x the boost pressure. Any higher than that you could have stuck vains causing excessive back pressure.

#4 ·
Had no bubbling for the first 3 days after replacement now all of a sudden there’s air getting in again and bubbling when I turn it off. Not nearly as much as before but enough to notice and the top radiator hose gets very firm. Noticed wetness around my water pump so I ordered one and am gonna try that with my fingers crossed! ANY HELP WITH THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL.
You don’t have anything mentioned about your truck, but I’m guessing you’re running tuned.

Two things,
did you have your head checked for straightness before you reinstalled it.
If you used ARP 425 studs, you do not have to do a re-torque so don’t worry about that.

did you remove the cause that created your head gasket failure which is usually your tuning? What changes did you make?
My guess is you’re running a Smarty or an H&S Mini with improper settings.

if so, share what all your settings are and hopefully your De-fuels were all shut off.

#9 ·
Now is the time to know what you have and settings being used.
If your issues are reoccurring or not as they’ve made the HG fail already once.
Do you have custom tuning on your H&S then?
Find these things out.
The best head studs in the world won’t stop incorrect fuel, and timing issues.

#10 ·
I plan on getting the unlock code for the trans overdrive within the next couple weeks but here’s the tune on it. Seen the red pin on the plug for the butterfly valve in the intake wasn’t pushed in so I made sure that was all the way in and gave it another shot it feels better on acceleration like boost is coming in faster and smoother but when I got on it she tried to light em up and take off at 34psi but did the surge sound again and I heard belt squeaking so pulled over and checked sure enough coolant was pushed out of the radiator cap some how not sure about how that happened. I just went to autozone and bought this rad cap 3 days ago and it’s the right one for the truck so I have no explanation for that unless air from wherever it’s coming in from built up real fast when I stomped on it and just blew the coolant out the cap almost blowing the cap off I’m not sure.

Gadget Font Cameras & optics Motor vehicle Communication Device

Light Camera accessory Automotive tire Gadget Cameras & optics

#11 ·
Throttle Valve needs to be unplugged.
Turn those de-fuels off.
What is your timing set to?
Pick a power level to match and keep it there.
SOTF tuning is not an advantage on these Minis.

#12 ·
You can remove the butterfly from the throttle valve to help rule out your surging problems.
What does your rail pressure do when this is happening?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.