Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--

Recently inherited a 2011 6.7 from my father. It has around 105,000 miles on it. Long story short:

Pops didn't change the fuel filter enough. He took excellent care of the truck regardless but the initial filter wasn't changed until way too late.

Truck threw a fuel rail sensor. I took it in to the shop and they told me the CP3 was failing and putting metal into the system. They told me pricing to repair (pumps, lines, injectors, etc) is a total of 12k or so. 16k if I wanted to add performance and toss in a EGR delete.

I just wanted everyone's opinion on pricing and the next steps. I love this truck and everything else about it has been taken care of meticulously. It was my fathers, so there is obviously huge sentimental attachment to it.

Are those prices reasonable? High? If I do the full repairs (I have them temp fixing it now- flushing system as best as they can, repairing failing part on CP3 and changing sensor) will the truck last a while longer? I just want it to last as long as possible and take care of it accordingly. Any insight with pricing and what to expect would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

·
Registered
229 Posts
that is a big time a rip off, I know the parts are not anywhere near that price and you can replace everything your self, its simple. between youtube and a repair manual will show you step be step. I had a 2003 6.0 powerstroke that was losing power at 160K miles, the dealer/shop told me that the engine was toast/worthless but they would put in a new one for a mere 12K, I told them to push it outside, i was on the way to get it. 450.00 later it was good to go, truck has 248K now and still purring like a kitten. stay the hell away from shops.

·
Registered
229 Posts
cp3 pump and injectors app 1400 bucks for both. you can buy a complete engine for around 5K

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
CP3s don’t put metal into the fuel system that’s a CP4 thing in the 2019+ trucks. When a CP3 fails you simply replace it and move along with your day. Chances are if they’re telling you all this they have no clue what the actual problem is. Get a pressure gauge hooked up to the lift pump and go from there.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Do you remember what code it threw for the fuel rail? The only real consumable part on the CP3 is the FCA; and its around $150. Don't let them rip you off for a "temp fix" that's trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

I agree with @nuljas23. That shop has no clue what they are talking about. Run away and don't go back

Reactions: nuljas23
1 - 5 of 5 Posts