Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering trading my 2500 with the 68RFE for a 2011 or 2012 with the G56. The 68RFE is my first auto and presumably my last. The only engine mods will be an H&S delete kit and although I don't tow I always have close to 2k of payload on board. Mixture of highway and stop and go driving.

Any thoughts I what kind of reliability I can expect from the G56? Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've had 2 G56's before this one and I've had 0 issues but I haven't added any power except one I had an edge or smarty on the lowest setting...my trucks and power boxes are running together in my memory :). If you're just using the HS for deletes (using stock power not insanecrazywild setting) then you'll be fine. Presuming you're gonna keep it a while then the only upgrade I'd do is whenever the clutch goes out get rid of the dmf and get a good aftermarket clutch/flywheel like sbc or similiar....but I'm cheap..I wouldn't do that till I had to :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I would say depends on how much hit you would take on your trade in. You could always get a built transmission. Might be less than buying a newer truck with a G56 transmission. I've found a few outfits selling upgraded RFE68 for around $6k (including converter), still to rich for me.:hehe:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 6k is a lot to spend on a transmission to make it right and I have hear of guys going higher than that. Not worth it for a guy like me that just doesn't like autos in any way shape or form. I just want to go back to a stick. I have the HS delete now and run it on the lowest setting i think that is 60hp over stock. No issues in 50K miles except for the rear output seal just started leaking.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If its what you want just go for it. G56 hold up pretty well unless you really start drag racing with lots of power of sled pulling it seems like. Its your truck and your $$. I would worry more about the auto than the manual.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you wanted to horse around. Geting a 800 dollar torque shield would really stiffen up the trans. The internals on the g56 are bigger and stronger then the old nv5600 but the biggest problem with them is case flex. And causes things to not mesh right inside. If you ever get power thirsty add a good clutch and fly wheel torque shild and gorilla juice instead of ATF ( no one should be using ATF no matter what your useing the transmission for) that will be like a 500 hp rated 68rfe maybe even stronger if you know how to shift.

·
Registered
516 Posts
:confused013: well dont be a smart . found the thread on my i phone. didnt pay attention to the date :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.