Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010-up 6.7 Tuning, Which Brand, WHY?

What makes the H&S so much better than Smarty?

Download time?

Display?

Customer service?

I could care less about those things, whats better on the truck in the long run...

Lets hear from the guys who have had there truck tuned for more than 60k!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

No body wants to tell me why H&S is bada$$...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ant never had a smarty but I do have the h&s mini max I like it its very user friends and nice cause you can use it to monitor all your temps and everything

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Both tuners are great and offer great customer service. The H&S products do offer a few more options that will allow you to customize you truck like fogs with high beams, seat belt minder, and things like that. Some of their other products have gauges as well as a tuner.

·
4,673 Posts
I wasnt aware that EVERYONE thinks that H&S is better ?

I think they are both nice , and have their own followers.

I think H&S has an advantage to guys looking for a complete setup, gauges and tuner in a package.

The customer support from H&S seems to be absolutely amazing from what i have seen and witnessed on this and other forums ,,,,,Thats the only downside to Smarty ,,,IMHO

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
H&S. Customer servcice
Gauges.
MCC
Shift on the fly
Trans tuning
Special functions.

That's a decent sized list over a smarty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
H&S. Customer servcice
Gauges.
MCC
Shift on the fly
Trans tuning
Special functions.

That's a decent sized list over a smarty.
Yeah, I'd say so...

But LONG TERM, I hear alot more people with HEAD GASKET and transmission problems that have been running H&S.

I think thats what makes Smarty great, and why it takes so long to get an update or a new product.

I think Bob/Marco have done a great job making a tuner that produces SAFE power.

H&S has a great product as well, and alot more marketing and people involved, which is also why they have better customer service.

But if these things are all the differences that "supposedly" make H&S better, than I will keep my Smarty and put 300k on my truck while running it!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I guess we will see in 290k. Talk to ya then.. lol

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I have had both. I think the H&S is the best with MCC and the ability to have your own tuning. The H&S has more features and they are working hard at evan more. It seems as when I first purchased my Black Max I thought it was high priced, but now that I have owned it for some time I feel it was money well spent. From when I first purchased it they have added many better tunes, trans tunning,DVD/nav delete,performance logging and now MCC. I will say the smarty had great tunes and some good features also. They both have good customer service and that is important to me as with all the electronics on todays diesels you may have a glitch. Then you will need customer service to repair it. I had one with my BM and H&S was great to help repair it. I have a 2011 and there is no EFI so the MCC is great and I feel very comparable to EFI. I have just started playing with MCC but all the features are great. Depending on your personal setup and needs you could be happy with either one.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
But LONG TERM, I hear alot more people with HEAD GASKET and transmission problems that have been running H&S.

I think thats what makes Smarty great, and why it takes so long to get an update or a new product.
Have you seen this poll?

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6...13-blown-headgasket-poll-per-suggestions.html

Let's do a simple and quick rundown of H&S vs Smarty based on the poll data.

Total Smarty users - 53
Total Smarty users w/ HG issues - 8
Percent of Smarty users w/ HG issues - 15%

Total H&S users - 124
Total H&S users w/ HG issues 23
Percent of H&S users w/ HG issues - 18.5%

So, based on that poll, H&S users do, on average, have more HG issues. 3.5% difference between them which isn't a lot, really.

But look at the other number, 53 Smarty users on the poll vs 124 H&S users. That's a pretty big difference.

H&S is popular BECAUSE of the support and features offered. As to which tuner results in a more reliable engine, that's really up to the driver and how they use the tuner and the resulting power. A tuner is a tool, and just any any other tool the results you achieve depend greatly on how you use the tool.

Someone could take an H&S on the hottest tune and drive the truck in such a way that he never has any issues. Someone else could take a Smarty on the lowest tune and kill the engine. That's not the tuner's fault, that's the fault of the operator.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,123 Posts
I didn't think anyone ran a Smarty on a 6.7 anymore. They are a little behind the times.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess I am behind on times, but I have supported Bob since he started making Smarty, and I will continue too!!!:buttkick:

Reactions: djeasy87

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think you are the first person ever who did not care about customer service. I care about it very much. I have been with H&S from the start and will continue to support them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Why even ask which is better when you were gonna say that you will keep your Smarty anyway? :confused013:

·
4,673 Posts
I have a smarty like i said earlier, now i will admit that smarty may not be as involved in the forum side of support BUTTT,,, A few years back when i got this smarty , i had a few issues with the new 17 file. Bob was busy with SEMA at the time, i calkled him and the next day the smarty guys had a new file ready for download and i was all fixed up !!

Bob took time away from SEMA to talk to me and had the guys working on a file immediately !!!! Thats great customer support !!

Like i said, they may not be as fast to answer or reply on these forums , but they have always been just a helpful phone call away for me !!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I was not saying anything neg. about their customer service. I have no idea as I have never bought anything from them. The op stated he could care less about customer service. That was what I was commenting on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why even ask which is better when you were gonna say that you will keep your Smarty anyway? :confused013:
I was waiting to be convienced, it seems like people just FOLLOW everyone else one what the hype is, EFI live will hit in march 2013 and H&S will be old news.

I remember back in the day when Bully dog and Quadzilla were everyones Favorite on the 24v trucks, I was rollin Smarty.

Look Bob has always been good to me, answered my questions, helped with software. He might not be the quickest to respond, but he was here before H&S and he will be here after.

I started this thread to see if there was something I was missing with H&S, but it looks like I will be "OK" with Smarty!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Seems like you were just picking a fight with H&S fans as you have only been negative towards them. No matter what anyone says you will not agree and just throw Smarty is great at them. Its good that you like your Smarty. Why not just leave it at that.

Reactions: TCR

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I guess ill be the guy to perk in and say I love my smarty.. Given I have a 07.5 and not a brand new truck, so i cant comment on the tunes that are newer.. I havent had any customer service issues.. But this is due to the fact that I havent had a reason to call them for anything.. Basically all the problems anyone has ever had, has been answered by someone right here on this forum.. I have no reason to knock H&S, but there are slight advantages Smarty has, such as how it is slightly known that Smarty is more efficient (ex. it refuses to blow smoke on any setting, -TNT) and also it is a little cheaper.. GIVEN you do have to buy needed gauges, which some users see as a hassle, but i sort of like the look.. a lot of people think gauges are pretty cool.. but then again so is a little monitor.. so i guess its win win with either.. HOWEVER.. one thing im happy about, is the fact im switching to EFI in the next couple months, and i wont have to buy gauges when i make that switch :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I had a Smarty Sr on my '08, I thought it was great. They were, at that time, pretty much the only game in town that I trusted. (coming from a smarty on my '06). The problems arose when mad's couldn't keep up with dodge's programming changes. When I got my '11, mad's had no support for the '10+ trucks. They just got programming for my smarty Sr, last month. They fell so far behind H&S for the newer trucks, there wasn't any reason to consider them any more.
I loved the smarty on my '06 and '08. I haven't tried it on the '11. I am happy the H&S that I have, now. H&S also provides transmission tuning.

If mad's had got some programming out for my Smarty Sr a year ago, I might still be using it.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts