Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, tech by trade, dealer tech, but gasser stuff.
My clutch is original, only 45K on truck, I bought it new. I can feel its soft. Tows no problem, but I have a Kubota and when I tow it, can feel it and I drag a trailer over 3 steeps grades and knowing the clutch may fail towing Kubota.

I do not want a heavy pedal, rather got for more surface area for extra bite, I would like to do it with a single disc. I know South Bend is a big name. My truck is all stock, but would like to bump power up a little bit, nothing crazy. At 610 now (weak compared to new stuff) but wouldnt mind losing particulate filter and going to a 650/675 ft lbs area. I ordered this with the 3.42 axle and wished I would of gotten the 3.73 now.
Thanks.

·
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,368 Posts
South Bend OFEK, or Valair NMU70279-01 or NMU70279-06 . ive ran both clutches and was never dissapointed.

Reactions: toyota_mdt_tech

·
Registered
339 Posts
South Bend feels like stock. Worst part is removal because of the factory style dual mass. Install is pretty straight forward. Get the BD2Low kit and backing is as easy as letting off the clutch and idling, no feathering the clutch at all.

Reactions: toyota_mdt_tech

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South Bend feels like stock. Worst part is removal because of the factory style dual mass. Install is pretty straight forward. Get the BD2Low kit and backing is as easy as letting off the clutch and idling, no feathering the clutch at all.
OK, I have always hated my excessive high geared reverse. It has to be higher than 2nd gear. I usually toss it into 4WD low to get my granny reverse. Where does one get this BD2 lo kit? Interesting.
The dual mass deal isnt too big of a deal for me, looks like its a little more time removing the bolts via the barring tool door, but after that, unit drops almost straight down. But I have no issue getting rid of the dual mass flywheel either. I want a clutch that holds better, not really noisy and no heavy pedal effort.

Thanks everyone for their help. I bougth this truck new and its been seamless, even now. I knew the clutch was weak, I can feel it, I dont have slipping, but internet says they are wek and I want to do the spy tech hubs, and nowm, this low reverse, truck only has 45K on it, so if I can get this resolved, might delete muffler, delete DPF and do the smarty jr and turn off EGR, regen and bump power a bit. Those are my goals.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Go to BD power or pick one of the forum sponsors and get one. Well worth the money and ease of mind once you get it installed. Takes only a few minutes for install. A lot of people trim the cover to install, but if you take your time you can persuade the wires to form around the relay cover and not trim anything. Later

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If you get free spins there’s no need for the BD2Low kit since the free spins will give you 2 low by engaging 4 low and leaving the hubs turned out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP has a 2010...I don't believe they make a 2Lo kit for the 03-12 trucks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP has a 2010...I don't believe they make a 2Lo kit for the 03-12 trucks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, you are correct, I thought it was a gear change internally in G56, I do not have the disconnecting axle, but with my free wheeling hubs (ordered yesterday) I will be able to go 2lo anyway.

Next project after hubs will be thsi clutch, then small programmer to up power a bit and lose DPF and EGR

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
I have the SBC G-56 OKHD. It holds an EFI 90 hp tune with 35's and a 2300# camper on the back constantly. I do not tow.
I have an '07 with the 0.79 final drive mimicking an auto with 4.10's. Silent operation,smooth. The only noise I get out of the trans is driving it through the neighborhood luggin it a bit in 3rd. Pedal effort is higher than stock but not by much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts