Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So brand new to the Dodge Diesel scene and I am loving it. Ive owned 3 powerstrokes and It is safe to say I am not going back. So I have been doing alot of reading and it sounds like Unplugging the EGR is a good way to go. Of course It will light up the CEL. My question is how will I know if anything else goes wrong and would light the CEL if it were not already lit? I am not very worried because from what I have heard these engines are very reliable. Just my only concern with unplugging the EGR.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
you turn the key on and off three times very quickly ending in the on position on the third try. It will display codes on the dash in place of the miles. Make sure the miles are showing and not the trip meter when you do this. After the codes show up it will say done and then you can either turn the key off or start the engine. I believe the code for unplugging the egr is P0405. That is the only code that should be there.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
you'll hear another ding. on my'08 when the key cycle trick worked to pull codes, i heard another ding when i was leaving the driveway, stopped did the key trick and it was the skim code for incorrect signal from the key fob. i don't think the key cycle trick works anymore, so a $50 code reader from Autozone should do the trick...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use the Edge Insight as gages and it can read and clear codes. Every so often I go in and double check the codes to make sure it is only the EGR codes. Hopefully soon I will have the XRT with no EGR:)

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
you turn the key on and off three times very quickly ending in the on position on the third try. It will display codes on the dash in place of the miles. Make sure the miles are showing and not the trip meter when you do this. After the codes show up it will say done and then you can either turn the key off or start the engine. I believe the code for unplugging the egr is P0405. That is the only code that should be there.
The key trick doesn't work on the 4th Gen. Only way to know is buy yourself a cheap code reader.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
The key trick doesn't work on the 4th Gen. Only way to know is buy yourself a cheap code reader.
I tried to say this a long time ago and nobody listened. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You mean the 2010 models? It has always worked on my 07? I just had the j35 recall done I hope that didn't disable it. Ive heard people saying it doesn't work with the later flashes but sometimes the person doesn't do it correctly and then they think it is disabled and then come on here and say they eliminated the the ability to check for codes. This was one of the reasons I didn't want the J35 done but is it true that you can't check codes anymore using the key?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I tried to say this a long time ago and nobody listened. Thank you.
:agree2::agree2::agree2:

tried it a couple times after being told it works, and it DOES NOT!:spank:

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
You mean the 2010 models? It has always worked on my 07? I just had the j35 recall done I hope that didn't disable it. Ive heard people saying it doesn't work with the later flashes but sometimes the person doesn't do it correctly and then they think it is disabled and then come on here and say they eliminated the the ability to check for codes. This was one of the reasons I didn't want the J35 done but is it true that you can't check codes anymore using the key?
I had all the latest updates on my 08 when I traded it and it always worked. They disabled it on 2010 and later models.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That's good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the Edge Insight as gages and it can read and clear codes. Every so often I go in and double check the codes to make sure it is only the EGR codes.
Same here. The only other codes that came up happened because I didn't keep the EGR plug from touching the contacts and it started arcing across.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts