Cummins Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 151 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 · (Edited)
Once I’m done, I’m done, do not want to be fiddling with it or modifying it after I’m done. So as you said, while it is apart and things are easy to get to, I will do everything I can to make the truck I want, then wash my hands and work the darn thing.

Around here 1st gens are like some ancient rare artifacts, and finding parts for them in decent condition is mostly futile without spending a small fortune. Also, these first gen dashes are garbage, so why not update it a bit? Especially while the cab is on the floor, windshield out and everything is simple.

The advice is not lost on me.

This whole project could be considered a dumb idea by many, and is a heck of a lot more than most would want to take on, or consider practical. But the thing we need to remember is, many find joy from their creative interests, and that is more valuable then money.

I don’t drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble or find any real satisfaction from anything in this silly world, aside from my family, my garden and my projects, so if 10 years down the road I’m still working on this, but happy doing it, that’s good enough.

Discussion starter · #63 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Getting closer to where I want it.

Will end up getting the inner dash frame modified and the dash fitting nicely, then move onto the seats. The dash will end up being very easy to remove once I am done with it, so I can do the duct work down the road. Just wanting to get the mounting done for the dash and the seats so I can get the cab ready for paint.

Sweet fitment to the windshield curve.

Are you planning on putting in a roll cage or something? What's with the notch cutout by the A-pillar?

Didn't realize a first gen was that much wider than a third gen.

Excellent build and thread!

Swapping in a 2006 3rd Gen dash is interesting.

The HVAC system will also be a challenge, I would avoid the 3rd Gen HVAC system. They are way too complicated, electronic and problematic.

Perhaps an aftermarket HVAC system like a Vintage Air system?

Best of luck with the build..

Discussion starter · #69 · (Edited)
Excellent build and thread!

Swapping in a 2006 3rd Gen dash is interesting.

The HVAC system will also be a challenge, I would avoid the 3rd Gen HVAC system. They are way too complicated, electronic and problematic.

Perhaps an aftermarket HVAC system like a Vintage Air system?

Best of luck with the build..
Thanks!

Am not entirely sure what I will do yet, but I am thinking to stick with the first gen hvac and controls, and blend them into the 3rd gen dash.

My 1st gen hvac only has defrost and the bottom vent set up from the box, it did not have vents for the upper dash. So am thinking I can tie the 3rd gen dash vents to the bottom heat hvac, and use the 3rd gen vents which can close, to control said vents. It would be somewhat limited, but still more than what the original truck came with.

Will look into this vintage air system you speak of.

Will look into this vintage air system you speak of.

Reactions: Upnthetrees
Discussion starter · #71 · (Edited)
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive tail & brake light

Got it fitting in there pretty well. Now that I know where everything needs to be I can start rebuilding the internal frame to fit, right now it is in three pieces tack welded in place.

The bottom centre part will also have to be trimmed up higher, so I can fit the shifter in there. Which is just as well because it does not match any thing in there.

Once I’m done, I’m done, do not want to be fiddling with it or modifying it after I’m done. So as you said, while it is apart and things are easy to get to, I will do everything I can to make the truck I want, then wash my hands and work the darn thing.

Around here 1st gens are like some ancient rare artifacts, and finding parts for them in decent condition is mostly futile without spending a small fortune. Also, these first gen dashes are garbage, so why not update it a bit? Especially while the cab is on the floor, windshield out and everything is simple.
A solid 25 years now messing with trucks here and nothing is/was ever done & done. I have more of what I want, but there's been no finish line. I wish you the best of luck!

IMHO, you're looking in the wrong places for parts. I see you're in the okanagan tho. I just dragged another decent $600 parts truck home 2 weeks ago. Maybe its a small-island thing... there just no free/affordable disposal so things sit around or get sold off cheap.

I like what you're doing with the dash. I had a friend that did a '98 Silverado dash in an '87 K30 that turned out nice. I simply wouldn't have the patience when there's another stocker in every parts-truck.

Reactions: Upnthetrees
Discussion starter · #73 ·
A solid 25 years now messing with trucks here and nothing is/was ever done & done. I have more of what I want, but there's been no finish line. I wish you the best of luck!

IMHO, you're looking in the wrong places for parts. I see you're in the okanagan tho. I just dragged another decent $600 parts truck home 2 weeks ago. Maybe its a small-island thing... there just no free/affordable disposal so things sit around or get sold off cheap.

I like what you're doing with the dash. I had a friend that did a '98 Silverado dash in an '87 K30 that turned out nice. I simply wouldn't have the patience when there's another stocker in every parts-truck.
Yea, it can be an addiction of sorts…. But with a wife, kids and another coming, priorities change. Some day I hope to be addicted to saving money 😅

Discussion starter · #74 · (Edited)
Well just wanted to give a bit of an update, the project has been on hold for a while now, cold weather moved in fast and I did not have time to get sandblasting and paint done, as well a few other home/family priorities got put first in line with the cold weather. My wife is also now 4 months pregnant with our third child, and I wanted to be saving funds for a bit as well as devoting some more time to help through it all. So while the truck is on the back burner, it is still in line for being finished.

In the mean time, so I don't drive my self crazy thinking about it while I am not really able to do much, I decided to take some measurements and make a scaled drawing of the final result I am envisioning. Also a 3D rendering.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Holy smokes!!! I love this build!!! The work and sweat your investing is mountainous and impressive ! I can’t wait to see the finished product and hear about the last stages of your build. Best of luck with the upcoming addition to the family!!!

Discussion starter · #76 ·
Holy smokes!!! I love this build!!! The work and sweat your investing is mountainous and impressive ! I can’t wait to see the finished product and hear about the last stages of your build. Best of luck with the upcoming addition to the family!!!
Thanks man, appreciate the kind thoughts and the interest in my build.

Looks like your not too far off with doing a similar build I see.

Will be getting back into it soon, finish off mounting the dash, then onto the seats.

Will be getting back into it soon, finish off mounting the dash, then onto the seats.
What I don’t like is you have me thinking about a vintage cab of some sort now, actually saw someone on social media, cut a cab off at the top of trhe firewall and put an older cab on a modern chasis retaining the interior and dash and everything. I gotta stop playin in this damn phone, puts ideas in my head

who won December? I voted for you and it put you within 1, hop ya had a couple more votes

Discussion starter · #78 ·
What I don’t like is you have me thinking about a vintage cab of some sort now, actually saw someone on social media, cut a cab off at the top of trhe firewall and put an older cab on a modern chasis retaining the interior and dash and everything. I gotta stop playin in this damn phone, puts ideas in my head
Yea, I hear that!

Not sure who won 🤷‍♂️

She's gonna be a beaut when you get done, I'm envious of your f450 frame, I had one get away from me when I was sourcing my Ford framed first gen project 😂
Sending ya encouragement, Keep er up.

61 - 80 of 151 Posts