Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This truck has got me stumped, I’m having a few issues and would appreciate any insight! So if I start the truck and drive it when the engine temp is below 100 degrees( pretty much when I get in and go) I will get a big puff of white smoke only if I get on the throttle hard( like floor it) it will lose power when this happens, always recovers fine if I let off the throttle, this is the only time it will do this, after the truck is warmed up I have no issues with white smoke at all, flooring it or not.

Now to my next problem😭 after the truck is warm if I get into the throttle hard I will get a loud rattle and slight power loss, added timing and fuel make it way worse, I’m thinking it’s a fuel issue but don’t have gauges to confirm( hate the look of gauges) so far I’ve replaced injectors, fca, lift pump(stock) and put in a new fuel rail that came with a new fpr valve and rail pressure sensor, I’m stumped at this point, I realize gauges would probably be wise investment but I’ve already put a lot of money in the truck and don’t wanna spend the $$ on gauges.🙃🙃

some diagnostics I’ve done-
-All fluids are clear, no mixing coolant and oil or excessive fuel in oil, oil levels normal.
- Little to no blow by even with the filter hose plugged.
-All valves are in spec
-All injector tubes are new and torqued to spec
-No rough idle or missing at any rpm range
-unplugged fca and rail pressure did spike and activated the fpr ( which is new )
  • No white smoke on start up, rpms come down smooth after free reving engine
  • I don’t have a boost gauge on my juice with attitude, boost pressure seems to be normal around 36psi.

If you guys have any advice or input please feel free to comment!

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
This truck has got me stumped, I’m having a few issues and would appreciate any insight! So if I start the truck and drive it when the engine temp is below 100 degrees( pretty much when I get in and go) I will get a big puff of white smoke only if I get on the throttle hard( like floor it)

Cold engine tuned and flooring it when below 100 Deg?
Sorry, cant help you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cold engine tuned and flooring it when below 100 Deg?
Sorry, cant help you.
I run it on stock all the time, and I found out about this issue when pulling out on the highway after work one day I normal would never do this, would like to figure out what’s causing it rather then ignore it just because it doesn’t happen under normal driving conditions

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
You have no issue. That’s why you can’t be helped. Stop bottoming out your skinny pedal when it’s cold. Then it won’t happen.
What are you expecting it to do?
A cold diesel straight piped, not sure what you want to hear.

Reactions: s10010001

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Yea sounds like a non issue to me. On top of that, if its the truck in your pic, its loaded all the time with those tires, not helping the matter any.

Just go easy on it until it's warm, that's all.

Now to my next problem😭 after the truck is warm if I get into the throttle hard I will get a loud rattle and slight power loss, added timing and fuel make it way worse, I’m thinking it’s a fuel issue but don’t have gauges to confirm( hate the look of gauges) so far I’ve replaced injectors, fca, lift pump(stock) and put in a new fuel rail that came with a new fpr valve and rail pressure sensor, I’m stumped at this point, I realize gauges would probably be wise investment but I’ve already put a lot of money in the truck and don’t wanna spend the $$ on gauges.🙃🙃

-All fluids are clear, no mixing coolant and oil or excessive fuel in oil, oil levels normal.
-All valves are in spec
-unplugged fca and rail pressure did spike and activated the fpr ( which is new )
  • I don’t have a boost gauge on my juice with attitude, boost pressure seems to be normal around 36psi.
Honestly, you need gauges if you running a lot more power than stock. Guages should be first. I don't run any on my truck but my tunes I mild for a cleaner running low egts towing. Guages should be first.

Why is it loosing power when to step on it? RPM based defusing form the tune? slipping trans? not enough fuel? not enough air (more likely)? what exactly is happening to make you think its loosing power? what rpms is the power loss at?

Have you tried putting the stock tune on and confirming. Always confirm the truck is running right stock, then move up the tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have no issue. That’s why you can’t be helped. Stop bottoming out your skinny pedal when it’s cold. Then it won’t happen.
What are you expecting it to do?
A cold diesel straight piped, not sure what you want to hear.
My 2014 and 04.5 don’t do it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea sounds like a non issue to me. On top of that, if its the truck in your pic, its loaded all the time with those tires, not helping the matter any.

Just go easy on it until it's warm, that's all.

Honestly, you need gauges if you running a lot more power than stock. Guages should be first. I don't run any on my truck but my tunes I mild for a cleaner running low egts towing. Guages should be first.

Why is it loosing power when to step on it? RPM based defusing form the tune? slipping trans? not enough fuel? not enough air (more likely)? what exactly is happening to make you think its loosing power? what rpms is the power loss at?

Have you tried putting the stock tune on and confirming. Always confirm the truck is running right stock, then move up the tune.
I run on stock all the time, I wouldn’t run a tuner at all if I wasn’t deleted. I cannot get the clutch to slip at all, I have a boost monitor on my juice with attitude and appears to be building and holding boost like it should, I can turn off all defueling with my monitor so I’ve eliminated that, only leaves fuel or electrical. The noise I’m hearing sounds like very bad injector rattle and only happens between 1600-2200 rpm and only if I step on it, under normal driving conditions it doesn’t happen. I’ve replaced almost the whole fuel system now expect for the cp3, I think a cp3 flow test is next on my list of trouble shooting.

I will say I was able to fix the issue by replacing the fuel filter and putting a race plug on my old fuel rail. I was able to get a good 3 pulls with the edge on 5x5 with no issues then I was in the middle of a pull and felt like the clutch slipped or tires broke lose so I let off, issue came back after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This truck has got me stumped, I’m having a few issues and would appreciate any insight! So if I start the truck and drive it when the engine temp is below 100 degrees( pretty much when I get in and go) I will get a big puff of white smoke only if I get on the throttle hard( like floor it) it will lose power when this happens, always recovers fine if I let off the throttle, this is the only time it will do this, after the truck is warmed up I have no issues with white smoke at all, flooring it or not.

-All valves are in spec

I've been through that; Your fuel lift pump is starting to go out. Change that thang fast; The fuel cools the Bosch pump. If you don't replace the lift pump it will burn out the Bosch pump ; God Bless !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been through that; Your fuel lift pump is starting to go out. Change that thang fast; The fuel cools the Bosch pump. If you don't replace the lift pump it will burn out the Bosch pump ; God Bless !
Thanks for your reply I did change the lift pump with a new factory one, no change unfortunately. I’m thinking it’s a cp3 issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply I did change the lift pump with a new factory one, no change unfortunately. I’m thinking it’s a cp3 issue
Check your fuel heater. It is not covered by your PCM and will not give a code. The heater melts wax in the fuel. If it is burnt out the wax will build up in the top of your filter canister. When the wax builds up it will break loose and glob into the cylinders and give off the white smoke intermittently. I went through what you are. I disconnected the stock lift pump(burnt out) leaving the fuel level sensor active and put an Air Dog 150GPH system in bypassing the stock filter system. The Air Dog feeds straight to the 44 supplying more cooling fuel to the pump then the stock system ever did. I put the Edge three stage unit in at the same time. That was 11 years ago and Have Not had a single problem in 273,000 miles. Let me know how it goes :) God Bless

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Check your fuel heater. It is not covered by your PCM and will not give a code. The heater melts wax in the fuel. If it is burnt out the wax will build up in the top of your filter canister. When the wax builds up it will break loose and glob into the cylinders and give off the white smoke intermittently. I went through what you are. I disconnected the stock lift pump(burnt out) leaving the fuel level sensor active and put an Air Dog 150GPH system in bypassing the stock filter system. The Air Dog feeds straight to the 44 supplying more cooling fuel to the pump then the stock system ever did. I put the Edge three stage unit in at the same time. That was 11 years ago and Have Not had a single problem in 273,000 miles. Let me know how it goes :) God Bless
That is probably the best explanation I have heard yet.
Thanks for sharing!
💩

Reactions: Gen.Stewart

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Would like to learn more. So if the fuel htr does not work, the wax thingys in the canister fall down ant get pushed to the injectors and thats what causes the white smoke?
Do you have a htr now built into your airdog since you removed the factory fuel filter canister? I may have to install a heater on mine before this happens to me.
Certainly timing and a cold motor has nothing to do with this. Just the wax thingies? Crazy!
Appreciate your knowledge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would like to learn more. So if the fuel htr does not work, the wax thingys in the canister fall down ant get pushed to the injectors and thats what causes the white smoke?
Do you have a htr now built into your airdog since you removed the factory fuel filter canister? I may have to install a heater on mine before this happens to me.
Certainly timing and a cold motor has nothing to do with this. Just the wax thingies? Crazy!
Appreciate your knowledge.
He can simply run a resistance test on the fuel heater. If it is bad replace it on the stock filter canister. Cold motor and cold weather is what makes the wax gel.(cold start=white smoke) You should keep anti-gel additive in your fuel in the winter. God Bless !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So got a rail pressure gauge on the truck, pressures seem normal until I accelerate hard, rail pressure will hit 26,500 psi almost instantly, if I let off it drops back to 8,000 just as fast... also removed the edge to eliminate that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know it was a tuning issue, truck was going into limp mode but failed to throw any codes for emissions being removed, installed a race me tuner and that fixed all my issues.

Reactions: s10010001

·
SuperModerator
10,019 Posts
TY for posting the fix to this issue.

Reactions: Alex8710
1 - 16 of 16 Posts