Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding your 2 stage rear system, as I plan to tow a bit in the future; I commute and occasionally haul heavier items, also looking for a better ride from the back end. I definetly want auto leveling, as I tow a fiver, but am not sure if I need a single or dual stage dump. The system will also include a drier, as I live near the ocean and in a high humidity area.

Can you identify which system would be best for my application? I may also upgrade to front bags in the future; do you offer an upgrade that would allow that without having to purchase another system? If/when I put the front bags on I want the ability to kneel the truck for easier entry and exit.

Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really sorry about not replying to this. For some reason I don't get the notifications on these like I thought I would. Typically the 2-Stage Rear kits won't give you any added benefit when towing. By their design, they aren't able to fully support a load and equalize it. We typically recommend that kit to guys that don't have any issues towing trailers and are primarily concerned with an improved ride.

The 4-Link Rear is the 'do it all' sort of system that will be a better ride and better towing. That's the setup that would be full air suspension in the back. How much squat do you see with the trailer?

Front kits can be added at any time and run 'manual fill' so you air them up with a Schrader valve style inflator or you can tie into an existing air tank using height control valves. That is typically how we would recommend doing the front setup. Sorry again for any delay, but feel free to reply here or call 1.800.334.6150 with anything else you need.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I level when towing, so it's pretty heavy on the pin. I would feel better going with duals, but don't want the headaches of the conversion; would your system, along with some higher capacity tires, be a viable alternative? I know your system costs more than the conversion, but the conversion is a more permanent solution that I won't need everyday; your system is.

My only concern, especially about the front, is somehow loosing air and the truck suddenly dropping on the stops; I've seen this too many times not to worry. Not so much bag longevity, but from broken lines or connections. If a failure does happen, is there a built in stop or fail safe to keep things under control during vehicle operation?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The design of the 2-Stage Rear doesn't make it a great option if load leveling is your concern on the rear. With the adjustability of the bags being on the rear leaf spring shackle, it's not picking up the majority of the weight. Leaf springs will still do the majority of the weight carrying. You'd have to to step up to the 4-Link to get some solid carrying results from the air suspension.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you aren't looking for a boost in towing and are wanting to improve the ride loaded and unloaded, the 2-Stage Rear will be a nice fit for you. If you are looking to boost capacity for your current setup or expect to go to a larger trailer in the future, it may be best to hang on until you can do the 4-Link Setup.

All the bags we use have internal bumper stops, so the system would only lower several inches if there were to be a catastrophic failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts