Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out to my truck this morning like I always do when its cold and start it. It was 45 degrees outside. Fired the truck up and put the idle up feature on to about 1200 RPM. A/C light was on BUT was actually set up to heat the cabin of the truck with the thermostat.

When I walked outside 15 mins later I hear something coming from the front of the truck and look under and the A/C Compressor is spraying a freon / oil looking liquid on the ground out of a vent hole on the bottom back side of compressor. Then it stops. I get in the truck and put the thermostat to COLD and the truck gets cold like it normally would.

THE AMOUNT OF LIQUID / FREON WAS PROBABLY A 12" PIE PLATE AND LOOKS LIKE IT WAS BLOWING JUST A FEW SECONDS...

Anyone have any suggestions or has experienced this before.

This is the 2nd A/C System put in this truck but I have about 30K since the last compressor and fan clutch was replaced.

Thanks for any info....

John

·
Registered
405 Posts
High-pressure relief valve on the Halle compressor... pretty common for them to keep venting more frequently once the seal is lifted.

·
benzysdiesel 07 6.7 3500
60 Posts
just had the same thing happen on my 07 6.7 two weeks ago took it to dealer and had to have the a/c compressor replaced. it cost me $1200 man o man. I have 63k on my truck. The problem occured exactly the same way yours did my truck idled up and i walked out to get in and heard a funny sound and smelled and odd smell once i got in truck! Everything seems to be alright now! call me with questions (412)997-5722

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow, that's an expensive compressor job... a Halle is ~$300 from the dealer & labor should be less than 2 hrs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since it's an automatic I would check between the condenser and intercooler for trash to buildup that could restrict airflow over the condenser causing a heat buildup if it don't get enough air to cool the condenser it can get hot and blow off excess pressure from the heat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts