Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am keeping the newer 6.7 electronics and im going to make it work with the dash and TIPM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is awesome, fallowing, would like to see a write up, on the electronics, good luck🤙

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is awesome, fallowing, would like to see a write up, on the electronics, good luck🤙
So far there isn't anything as far as new electronics.

Right now all I've done is modified the factory 6.7 engine harness and added the two connectors that go to my body. I looked at the 2019 wiring diagram and the 2007 5.9 wiring diagram. Removed all the emission wiring from the 2019 and only used the wires that were similar to the 5.9. Surprisingly it fired right up the first go.

What I am assuming is the TIPM/Body module will power the ECU as it normally would. There isn't any CAN data currently coming from the ECU to the TIPM so the TIPM/Body modules don't know that the engine is running which is probably why the antitheft system isn't going off.

While exploring the CAN data I figured out if I didn't broadcast the correct data the antitheft would go off and the horn honks, four ways flash and a few other things happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is what I have been wanting to read about.

Glad to hear someone retrofitting the newer stuff into the older chassis

I have two 80's gm cars with ls1 swaps that I drive daily, plus I tend to hold onto cars way longer than a normal person.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Cool project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's an updated video.

I've had shops and people who told me this isn't how its done, it wont work or good luck making the SKIM key work. I'm just a guy in his home garage, no fancy brand names or bla bla bla. 2019 Dodge 6.7 and 68RFE swapped into a 2007 Dodge 5.9. No additional relays or fuses,100% plug and play. Pretty bad ass for a Soldier with only a few hours into R&D!

I'm not finished, but I'm pretty stoked that it works so far!

·
Registered
962 Posts
That is so awesome, good work so far man!

Reactions: steed

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awesome! So to be clear, I have an 07 also, you completely swapped 2019 engine/trans, and spliced into the factory harness?
So your using the computer off the 2019 PCM? Trans also?
Could it be done with a 2019 3500 6.7L with the Aisin transmission?
This is wild, everyone and their mom says it can't be done. Or you need a standalone controller for the newer transmission, since all we had was a 48RE at time.

·
Registered
889 Posts
What did you do with the turbos off your old engine? Weren't you running compounds with an s300 turbonator?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! So to be clear, I have an 07 also, you completely swapped 2019 engine/trans, and spliced into the factory harness?
So your using the computer off the 2019 PCM? Trans also?
Could it be done with a 2019 3500 6.7L with the Aisin transmission?
This is wild, everyone and their mom says it can't be done. Or you need a standalone controller for the newer transmission, since all we had was a 48RE at time.
Yup, I'm running the 2019 engine, transmission, and ECM. I modified the wiring harness so it plugs directly into my body wiring harness which made it 100% plug and play. I am reusing the TIPM to control the engine and transmission so I didn't have to add any new wiring, relays or fuses to make the engine run.

My transfer case is my stock transferase that I had rebuilt and the input shaft swapped out to plug into the 68RFE. I am also running the 2019 engine fan with a spacer off a 2012 6.7 and I'm using a 2012 power steering pump.

I have a bridge that converts the new 2019 ECM data to the 2007 (5.9) ECM data so the dash works. I am probably the only guy with any year 6.7 in a 5.9 with the new 6.7 ECM controlling my dash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did you do with the turbos off your old engine? Weren't you running compounds with an s300 turbonator?
Yeah i have them in my garage, DPS gave me their T4 housing, I am trying to make variable compound turbos with a ATS compound kit and a DPS T4 turbonator housing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a bridge that converts the new 2019 ECM data to the 2007 (5.9) ECM data so the dash works. I am probably the only guy with any year 6.7 in a 5.9 with the new 6.7 ECM controlling my dash.

Can you explain more about this bridge?

Any issues so far driving it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Can you explain more about this bridge?

Any issues so far driving it?
Its just a little controller that converts all the data. I am taking all the 2007 data and reframing and scaling it to match the 2019. This also fixes a lot of the check engine lights the ECU tosses.

I got OBD2 passthrough working great, you can actually connect any scanner to the trucks stock OBD2 port now and talk to the ECU and transmission, you can even flash it with EFI live.

I found an EFI live tune online that deleted the truck, I only have one emission code now. I am not sure if its because the flash isn't right or because I'm missing a control module from the original truck and its tossing the light.

Everything on the dash seems to be working, the grid heater light comes on, check engine light, oil pressure, transmission light, engine temp and RPMs.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Its just a little controller that converts all the data. I am taking all the 2007 data and reframing and scaling it to match the 2019. This also fixes a lot of the check engine lights the ECU tosses.
So the message data wasn’t too different, just the framing?

I'm thinking of doing an 07 electrical system in my 2004 with the 2010-2012 ecm since it will talk to the Allison. Maybe the message data for 2006-2012 on Can-C is similar enough, after all 06-12 were all gateway can bus vehicles...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the message data wasn’t too different, just the framing?

I'm thinking of doing an 07 electrical system in my 2004 with the 2010-2012 ecm since it will talk to the Allison. Maybe the message data for 2006-2012 on Can-C is similar enough, after all 06-12 were all gateway can bus vehicles...
It wasn't hard for me. But I have been playing with CAN systems for over 10 years and the software I use is pretty expensive.

How will a 2010-2012 ECM talk to a allision? I've played with their data and its no where near similar to a Dodge.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It wasn't hard for me. But I have been playing with CAN systems for over 10 years and the software I use is pretty expensive.

How will a 2010-2012 ECM talk to a allision? I've played with their data and its no where near similar to a Dodge.
J1939

Only 2002 and older and 2010 and newer has the correct J1939 data.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts