Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the 2006 cummins. How good is the 48re trans? I wont be adding a lot of power at first, First mods will be Guages, Exhaust, and Intake.

What are the stock HP and TQ ratings for this motor?
How good does the truck as a whole hold up...this truck will be worked hard.
How good are the front ends of these trucks..better then the 2nd gens???

I found an 06 with 130k miles for right around 15k. Is this a good price? Should i be afraid of the miles? Plan on keeping this truck for a LONG time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
its 325hp/610tq
and miles wise its probably mostly highway and 130k miles isnt much it can last 300k or more

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i guess i shouldn't be so worried about the mileage part, while doing my searches i found a couple 05 Cummins with 300k+ miles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
my 06 had 88k on it when i got it....the motor and driveline are great, it's the condition of the rest of the truck that won't hold up and that is what you should pay attention too. For instance the seats and interior suck on my 06, the older models have better fabric, are more comfortable, and don't stain as easy as my 06's. just my $.02

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my seats will for sure be getting seat covers no mater which year of truck i go with, working in the dust, mud, grease, oil, etc, i would much rather ruin seat covers then my stock seats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a few questions about the 2006 cummins. How good is the 48re trans? I wont be adding a lot of power at first, First mods will be Guages, Exhaust, and Intake.

What are the stock HP and TQ ratings for this motor?
How good does the truck as a whole hold up...this truck will be worked hard.
How good are the front ends of these trucks..better then the 2nd gens???

I found an 06 with 130k miles for right around 15k. Is this a good price? Should i be afraid of the miles? Plan on keeping this truck for a LONG time.
I have an 06 with 32,000 miles. I love the truck, the only problem I had was the ac went @ 20,000 miles, it was some plastic piece that broke and caused the flow to the ac to be bad and the motor to vibrate. The symptoms for it are: the ac will be slow to switch from blowing throw the vents to blowing through the on dash defrosters. So check the truck and make sure the ac transitions smoothly and make sure it doesn't vibrate alot on high, mine vibrated like crazy before it craped out. The ac motor is under the passenger seat.

I installed a jake brake on mine (a jake brake takes exhaust and shoots its back into the engine and slows the truck down, it gives you 160 lb torque of stopping power.) , and you won't believe how much of a difference it makes when you are towing. I tow a 16,000 pound fifth wheel and the jake brake is a life saver, if you are going to keep the truck along time I would recommend that, it will save you money on brakes, and it will help you to stop alot faster then with just brakes. It is about $1400 installed from dodge.

The stock auto tranny 48re, is an ok stock tranny, it is bad if you plan to mod the truck at all. I started with 3.73 gears, but changed to 4.10 gears, and it tows so mush better with the 4.10s. I get 23 mpg on the highway at 55 mph (hand calculated) with 4.10 gears.

As for the front end I assume you mean solid front axle and transfer case, I can't comment on this because my truck is 2 wheel drive and it has a arms in the front.

130,000 miles is just broken in on a cummins. The scheduled over haul on a cummins is scheduled at 350,00 miles. (100,000 miles longer then ford and chevy.) The reason the cummins is so amazing is because it is a true six cylinder diesel engine, it was designed as a diesel engine. Where as the ford and chevy engines were gas engines that were converted to diesel. because of this, cummins pulls its 610 lb of torque at 1,600 rpms.where as ford and chevy pull max torque well into the high 2000's.

The cummins can pull so much more then the 16,500lbs its rated to, now the brakes and stuff can't stop much more then 16,000. But just the other day, some one was on here and said they pulled 27,000 pounds with their cummins.

Its really funny, go up and ask the most die hard ford or Chevy guy you know and I can pretty much guarantee you they will say, I only buy ford, but that cummins is one hell of an engine.

I just love this truck, its the only vehicle I know that can tow 16,000 pounds, haul 3,000 pounds in the bed, and get 23 mpg on the highway(unloaded). I get about 12-14 mpg towing. It is a good truck, the interior is ok, but i put seat covers on it. What you have to remember is that this truck was designed as a work truck. It may not look the best, but a ford don't look to good sittin at the side of the road broken down. I had that air conditioner problem, but I could still drive the truck. my dodge has never left me stranded, and in my mind that is all that counts. If you worried about the 48 re, there are mods you can do to strengthen it like and upgraded valve body or torque converter.

And for an 06 that seems like a good price, the 06 was the last year with the 5.9 cummins, which doesn't have any emissions crap to deal with, like the diesel particle filter.

The main things you have to do as far as maintance:
1. change the oil at 7,500 miles or sooner, this baby needs good oil to run well.
2. change the fuel filter at 15,000 miles. One of the few things that I have seen take down a cummins is bad fuel injectors, bad fuel injectors happen when crap gets through you fuel filter, and into the injectors, where the crap will grind down you injectors as it passes by, when the tips of the injectors wear down, they break off and fall into the engine, and cause big problems.
3. If you tow heavy loads with the 48re, check you tranny fluid frequently, if it looks dark and smells burnt, do a tranny service (tranny fluid when clean is pink and does not smell burnt). I service my tranny every 15,000 miles. And I have had no problems with my tranny.

I added a air intake, intake manifold and exhaust, AFE all the way. I sounds awesome, gets better mpg, and filters the air better then the stock.

cummins is the way to go.

·
Registered
214 Posts
:ditto: I agree 100%. I use my truck for work and play and it gets worked hard. The last two years i put on 75k miles hauling over 2400lbs in the bed and 15k+ towing. Just replaced my front and rear ujoints and my diff fluid, which was WAY over due, it looked milky, not good. Amsoil made my load go down over 12% average on the highway since my fluid change, i was impressed. Change the lubes regularly with quality lube and you will be happy like us:headbang:

·
Registered
168 Posts
130,000 miles these guys are right thats nothing, its just been broke in. I personally know a guy with 620,XXX miles in his 1999 cummins with no problems with the motor yet. As far as towing goes, it will tow more weight than you want it too, last fall I towed a 42'' triple axle fifth wheel with 2 1999 2500 single cab flat bed cummins, the trailer was 12,500 and then add 2 trucks thats another 14,000 so 26,500 LBS . I only had to pull it for 70 miles , the truck did fine power wise but a little scarey trying to stop.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't worry about the motor it will most likely out last you. :hehe: I found my 06 six months ago with only 42K miles on it for 19k so i couldn't say no. Keep your fluids changed in the trans and it will make it till you upgrade it. :headbang:

06' auto, both silencers MIA, custom winch mount, and more on the way

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would find out who the previous owner/owners were and ask them if the truck has ever had any hp modifications done to it and how it was driven.

The 48RE is a stout transmission and actually has a better track record than the Alison but if it's had the snot run out of it with power enhancers at 130,000 miles could be looking at a rebuild shortly.

On the other hand if it's been treated properly I have read of guys towing for a living with 300,000 miles on their 48RE's.

It's a good transmission if treated with respect for what it was built for, Stock applications.

The engine is a 1,000,000 mile engine and has been proven many times over, so no need for me to say anything more about it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
one thing to consider, 130,000 mile means you are not covered by cummins warranty. If an injector does go bad, they are NOT cheap. just my .02 there are a lot of '06's out there with 40-60 k miles

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats true but i am looking to spend no more the 18 on a truck. I can spend more, but really dont want to.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is it worth buying a truck in warranty and paying a lot more then say a truck outside of the 100k mile warranty. I have found a couple 06s with anywhere from 130-160k miles for decent prices. Would u consider them?

·
Mark and Matt's probation officer
1,444 Posts
I have an 06 with 32,000 miles. I love the truck, the only problem I had was the ac went @ 20,000 miles, it was some plastic piece that broke and caused the flow to the ac to be bad and the motor to vibrate. The symptoms for it are: the ac will be slow to switch from blowing throw the vents to blowing through the on dash defrosters. So check the truck and make sure the ac transitions smoothly and make sure it doesn't vibrate alot on high, mine vibrated like crazy before it craped out. The ac motor is under the passenger seat.

I installed a jake brake on mine (a jake brake takes exhaust and shoots its back into the engine and slows the truck down, it gives you 160 lb torque of stopping power.) , and you won't believe how much of a difference it makes when you are towing. I tow a 16,000 pound fifth wheel and the jake brake is a life saver, if you are going to keep the truck along time I would recommend that, it will save you money on brakes, and it will help you to stop alot faster then with just brakes. It is about $1400 installed from dodge.

The stock auto tranny 48re, is an ok stock tranny, it is bad if you plan to mod the truck at all. I started with 3.73 gears, but changed to 4.10 gears, and it tows so mush better with the 4.10s. I get 23 mpg on the highway at 55 mph (hand calculated) with 4.10 gears.

As for the front end I assume you mean solid front axle and transfer case, I can't comment on this because my truck is 2 wheel drive and it has a arms in the front.

130,000 miles is just broken in on a cummins. The scheduled over haul on a cummins is scheduled at 350,00 miles. (100,000 miles longer then ford and chevy.) The reason the cummins is so amazing is because it is a true six cylinder diesel engine, it was designed as a diesel engine. Where as the ford and chevy engines were gas engines that were converted to diesel. because of this, cummins pulls its 610 lb of torque at 1,600 rpms.where as ford and chevy pull max torque well into the high 2000's.

The cummins can pull so much more then the 16,500lbs its rated to, now the brakes and stuff can't stop much more then 16,000. But just the other day, some one was on here and said they pulled 27,000 pounds with their cummins.

Its really funny, go up and ask the most die hard ford or Chevy guy you know and I can pretty much guarantee you they will say, I only buy ford, but that cummins is one hell of an engine.

I just love this truck, its the only vehicle I know that can tow 16,000 pounds, haul 3,000 pounds in the bed, and get 23 mpg on the highway(unloaded). I get about 12-14 mpg towing. It is a good truck, the interior is ok, but i put seat covers on it. What you have to remember is that this truck was designed as a work truck. It may not look the best, but a ford don't look to good sittin at the side of the road broken down. I had that air conditioner problem, but I could still drive the truck. my dodge has never left me stranded, and in my mind that is all that counts. If you worried about the 48 re, there are mods you can do to strengthen it like and upgraded valve body or torque converter.

And for an 06 that seems like a good price, the 06 was the last year with the 5.9 cummins, which doesn't have any emissions crap to deal with, like the diesel particle filter.

The main things you have to do as far as maintance:
1. change the oil at 7,500 miles or sooner, this baby needs good oil to run well.
2. change the fuel filter at 15,000 miles. One of the few things that I have seen take down a cummins is bad fuel injectors, bad fuel injectors happen when crap gets through you fuel filter, and into the injectors, where the crap will grind down you injectors as it passes by, when the tips of the injectors wear down, they break off and fall into the engine, and cause big problems.
3. If you tow heavy loads with the 48re, check you tranny fluid frequently, if it looks dark and smells burnt, do a tranny service (tranny fluid when clean is pink and does not smell burnt). I service my tranny every 15,000 miles. And I have had no problems with my tranny.

I added a air intake, intake manifold and exhaust, AFE all the way. I sounds awesome, gets better mpg, and filters the air better then the stock.

07.5 was actually the last of the 5.9l

·
Registered
168 Posts
You should not be afraid of the miles the truck is just broke in. The weak link in any dodge cummins truck is the tranny due to he amont of torqe. Buy a full billit tranny $$$ or at least up grade to better torque converter vavle body flex plate and at least an input shaft. You will not find a better diesel than the cummins unless you buy a (catipillar) and they don't make anything other than commercial diesels. Ford powerjoke's or GM's japanese Isuzu engine are not even true diesels they are converted gas engines.

·
Registered
116 Posts
YES...mine just started vibrating badly as well...and it seems even when its on high there isn't as much air blowing out the vents as there should be...

luckily my warrenty expires in June so it should be covered...i have to get it in there before I start using the A/C i guess...i dont want that going as well

·
Registered
70 Posts
YES...mine just started vibrating badly as well...and it seems even when its on high there isn't as much air blowing out the vents as there should be...

luckily my warrenty expires in June so it should be covered...i have to get it in there before I start using the A/C i guess...i dont want that going as well
those are the symptoms
i talked to the mechanic that did the change, he says that the whole problem is some little plastic piece that controls where the airflows, it breaks and messes up the ac. Because dodge wanted to save probably a dollar at the factory they had to spend $750 to change out my ac for a new one.
You definitely want to get it in there before your warranty expires, also, I noticed the ac worked a lot better after the change, it gave more airflow then before the old one broke.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great posts guys. I am looking to trade my 07.5 for the 06 or early 07 5.9. Too many CEL's.

Is this a good idea?

Russ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I change the oil in my 06 every 5,000 miles. Rotella 15W-40 and Mopar filter. I change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles. Havent had any problems yet. Ive got 72,000 miles. Also havent had one bit of trouble out of my 48re. I have never got 23 mpg but i know it can happen. Everything is stock on mine except air intake. i get 17 in town and maybe 21 on the highway if im lucky. Not saying anything is wrong with the truck you are looking at (odds are, its fine) but like the other guy said there are a lot of 06s out there with less than 100k miles which means you would have factory warrenty. Good Luck with the truck search. I Love MY CUMMINS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.