Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 dodge big horn 2500 and It has developed some starting issues. when it is cold it will start right up, but once it is warmed up it will (on occasion) just crank and crank before it fires up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Mine does it on and off too. It seems like it will get bad for a week or so then it will go away for a while, then it will return again. There is a flash out to fix it but I won't let them flash my truck. It runs too good and gets great mileage and I don't want to loose that. What I do to overcome the starting issue is this. I only let the engine turn over for a couple seconds, if it doesn't fire right off I let off the key for a second and then repeat. It usually fires right up on the second hit like 98% of the time. If needed I repeat for the third time and it has never taken more than three.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
mine does it every once and a while. i think its happened 4 times since i got my truck in december..

·
4,676 Posts
try checking your FCA. mine didnt start one day and dealer said and replaced the FCA.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also had the same issue. I had it reflashed at the dealer and no further issues. My mileage is the same and the truck runs the same, at least as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Like some of the other members have stated, there is a reflash for the ECM out to fix the long crank. The flash will not affect the MPG or the power of the truck. It will only make the truck better. I know mine and two of my friend's '06 trucks have all been reflashed because of this problem and none of us have had anymore trouble.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Same for me ... get the flash ... it'll only make your truck run better.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
I have an 06 as well... I have not experienced this problem but should I have my truck flashed anyways??? When you take or call the dealership what do you tell them to do??? thanks for your help

·
Horseback Recluse
691 Posts
I have an 06 as well... I have not experienced this problem but should I have my truck flashed anyways??? When you take or call the dealership what do you tell them to do??? thanks for your help
I wouldn't get it unless you need it unless you want. If you want to get it flashed just tell them you need the latest flashes and they should take care of it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You guys that got the flash and are happy. What kind of mileage are you getting? Real hand calc'ed numbers, not what you tell the wife or your buddies at the bar. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here's 2 years worth ... the bottom rows (yellow highlite) show each years totals or averages.
Not sure how these will appear on others computers resolution? They've been resized from a hefty 1920x1200. If you need a different resolution just say the word.

I work in alot of different ways with my truck ... snow plow, tow, empty hwy, back roads, etc ... the mileage reflects.

Also, you can see that the overhead was more accurate before I had the flash for "Improved Mileage" haha, all they did was bump up the numbers on the overhead reading ... and most people were happy then.
Not very often have I broke the 20 mpg barrier. And I hardly ever drive over 60 - 65 mph.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
See that is my fear, loosing my good mileage. My life time average is hovering around 17.5 that includes every tank of fuel I have used since day one (July '06). My best is 21.1 my worst is 9.xx . For a while my overhead was consistently within 2 mpg of actual. Then it started climbing and now it is between 5 - 6 over actual. I really don't care much what that thing reads as long as actual is where it needs to be. You would think they could get that thing a little closer though or just do away with it. Thank you for responding and keeping good records. BTW, where are 2008 numbers?

Anyone else that liked the flash keep records?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Still working on the '08 numbers, it's only May. :)
One thing that hurt my hwy mileage was the 2" levelling kit.

·
Horseback Recluse
691 Posts
With my set up I'm getting just over 18.5 mpg. I'm trying to keep my foot out of it though and it still slips occasionally :lol3:

My over head is always wrong as it says I'm getting 21-23 mpg's, I wish :thud:

The best tank I had was the previous one. I had driven 666.2 miles and the fuel light had just came on. The miles left till empty said 81 but I didn't push it as I don't want to push my truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
is there a flash number i have to tell dodge, my 06 has this issue as well.???

·
Registered
845 Posts
is there a flash number i have to tell dodge, my 06 has this issue as well.???
Try posting your question in the TSB section ... may have better luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts