Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just thought I would start my build thread. I will be posting details about my truck build here. I just purchased a 2006 Megacab 2500 4WD 5.9L Auto with 238000 miles on it.
Ok. First pictures. Mainly because I don’t think anyone goes to the garage to see this stuff.

Jeff

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm in........

·
Registered
134 Posts
Following...what kinda build we talking? HP, suspension?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following...what kinda build we talking? HP, suspension?

Great question. So here is what I am thinking. I have to get this truck solid before I can do anything really to it. It needs about $1000 worth of work to get there. I have a list of things I am working on right now. See below. Next, I am thinking of adding a Smarty Touch Screen S2G for tuning. There is a guy in Michigan and he is on this forum too that is offering to help me with the tune if I get this tuner. I have a 48RE that is having some issues right now. I am ordering the GM Governor Pressure Solenoid upgrade aftermarket kit for this transmission. I am not shifting into OD and this should fix that problem and upgrade a part. That is my main focus, upgrade when I am repairing something. So I have to get this trans shifting correctly or I am going to have it rebuilt this summer and put a Suncoast kit in it.

Truck repair list: This seems like a long list, but these are they types of things to consider when purchasing a 13 year old truck with 240,000 miles on it.
I was prepared that it was going to need most or all of this before I purchased it and made my acquisition accordingly.

Fuel rail replacement - major leak at fuel input sensor and fuel supply attachment - not repairable.

Fuel filter and fuel pump, fuel tank straps, clean fuel tank

Shocks front and rear

front end parts- Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, king pins

Transmission - shift cable, filter and gaskets, shift solenoid– GM replacement with Billet Mount, Can I find a transducer that is made out of aluminum?

Fluids: Transfer case, pumpkins, transmission fluid replaced when I do the filter and gasket

Interior parts:

Driver seat cushion and leather base

Center counsel lower latch

Weather tech drivers side gray floor mat

Figure out why brake pedal is so loose

Need to check brakes front and rear

Undercoat truck

Remove all plugs from fuse panel, clean with electric cleaner and add dielectric grease

Find all greaseable fittings and grease truck

Hook up reverse lights in rear bumper

Install fog lights in front bumper

Take super duty fog lights amber for above and clear for bad lights,

Install swinging toolbox and also install in bed switch that I built for super duty

Build sub frame for floor with drawers, And cover with carpet

Tonneau cover and find a matching red cap

Check seven pin for proper wiring of electric brakes and blinkers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the parts, I am a fan of Moog Truck Parts for items like suspension or front end. I like their products and haven't had any issues with past upgrades.
I try to buy OEM unless there is a favored aftermarket that makes sense. For example, I am buy the Bosch fuel rail b/c there isn't an aftermarket that I have been able to find. But I am upgrading my shocks from OEM to something better. In the past I have purchased Monroe, and this time I think I am going to put Rancho on the truck. I believe that company is owned by the same people.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Atleast your expectations were on point before you bought it. I would pull the bed off to address the fuel tank straps and coating the frame ect.

Best of luck...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Atleast your expectations were on point before you bought it. I would pull the bed off to address the fuel tank straps and coating the frame ect.

Best of luck...

Thanks, yeah the fuel tank is getting a good cleaning. See fuel filter pic below. I just replaced it Sat and this was the old one looked like. As for the frame, believe this, already been coated! The underside of the body too. Up here is Michigan, I usually have my vehicles undercoated, so this is going to get another coat of that Ziebart undercoating this summer once I have had some time to fix the items of the list.

The motivation was to get this truck ready for 2 trips to MT, Kalispel Glacier National Park in August is 4000 miles and 3800 mile hunting trip in Nov. I am going mule deer hunting in MT this fall. I went last year and got a really nice 8 point (they say 4pt there we say 8pt here in MI, lol)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel rail is in tomorrow. GM shift solenoid is ordered for the transmission, hopefully that and a new cable solve the OD shift issue. And if it does, time to move onto other items on the list.

Ordered a smarty touch s2g with the egt probe. And I’m picking up a matching cap on Sunday. I like to run cap in the fall and winter and tonneau in the summer. But I found a matching flame red cap for a deal so I’m on it like white on rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel rail has been fixed last night, replacement installed. It took about 2.5 hours, I estimated 2 hours. So not too bad for a couple of amateur mechanics. LoL. Only 1 bolt lost, easy repair, held the dip stick in place. So nbd, found a replacement bolt and washer in my pile Of scrap bolts. And 1 crows foot 3/4”. Got dropped on the last fuel line removal and couldn’t find it. So not too bad. We were able to reassemble with out using it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I’m not one to trust the computers in vehicles BUT I replaced the fuel rail on Saturday and today was the first day I drove the truck any distance. The computer said 7 mpg then 8 and then 12 and then it crept up to 17.4mpg. I just found all this weird. Could it be from time replacing the fuel sensor when I replaced fuel rail? It had a brand new sensor. Just an observation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shout out to Dude_57 and Dude’s Diesel Performance shop. He’s been a great asset ordering parts. Also, everything I’ve thrown at him he has been able to get.
From valve cover gasket to advice on injectors he’s been a great resource.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a few more parts in this week. But been busy putting cabinets up in my garage. I have 3 more to put up. 6 in total. They take about 15 min to assemble. This had to be done so I can park the MC in the garage. Everyone has been a critic saying, “why do you need to park in the garage so bad?” LoL. Seriously? Because I can! I made the garage just big enough to be able to park this truck in it or Ford Superduty 8’ crew cab. So now that I have a MC that will be my DD, I want to park in the garage. Tonight is designated day to finish hanging the remaining 3 cabinets on the wife’s side where she parks. My goal is to clean up the messy look a little bit by putting anything in the garage away, in a cabinet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Truck heads to the transmission guy tonight with gm solenoid, trans flush, filter and hopefully just a band adjustment, along with a new shifter cable being installed. I’m confident this will fix the OD issue.

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,475 Posts
Shout out to Dude_57 and Dude’s Diesel Performance shop. He’s been a great asset ordering parts. Also, everything I’ve thrown at him he has been able to get.
From valve cover gasket to advice on injectors he’s been a great resource.

Thank ya sir! I apologize that i just saw this. You have been great as well! I love being able to help with this build as it makes me extremely jealous of my own 06.... lol!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the red devil back from the transmission shop on Friday. The great news is that the gm solenoid went in fine, fluid looked good and no shavings on the magnet. Further, he said someone spent some serious money on the trans because it had a newer valve body in it. Also, he installed a new neutral safety switch and the cable was fine not stretched. So that was a nice easy repair. That fixed both the over drive issue not shifting and ecm alarm/theft control spazzing out.

Next apparently the pitman arm was only hand tight. So while he had it on the lift he fixed that, new nut and cotter pin, and the steering tightened right up. I still need ball joints but all the other front end parts looked replaced recently. Again, nice!

After watch some videos on the different types of ball joints, Carli, EMF and Dynatrac seemed the best. I had a connection at Syngery but was advised to go with one of these 3 because they are rebuildable.

I start my injectors tonight. Got all my tools laid out yesterday and my light setup. So I’m going to replace all 6 injectors and the valve cover gasket has electrical embedded. So I have a new one because one of the error codes I was getting was shorting or grounding of fuel injector. Also because I had to remove the fuel supply tubes I am just replacing all 6 of them.

Finally, the Smarty Touch will be installed along with a new radio. If all goes well, it will be done this week.

Sent from my iPhone using my facsimile...

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Did you go with BBI injectors?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts