Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2006 quad cab dually last summer. 280k, one owner, well maintained. Wanted a good tow vehicle and after having owned a 1st gen (amazed with it reliability and ease of maintenance) I decided to get a 3rd gen.

The 3rd gen seemed to me the best of the current trucks because it came with cummins and no emissions. The purpose of the truck was to tow a race car trailer.

My dilemma is this. I worked pretty hard to find a single owner truck that had been well maintained and cared for. Over the past few months, I began to learn of the issues that seem to plague these trucks such as faulty fuel or damaged injectors. Not to mention the host of electronic gremlins that seem to arise over time. I have for the past few weeks been debating over whether or not to keep the truck and just find a chevy or ford gas big block and be done with all this worry.

The truck has 30k old oem injectors and pump. It starts and run excellently. Besides the torque converter or flex plate needing to get replaced, the truck is great. If I decide to keep the truck I will be installing a banks monitor, fuel filter and water separator and carry and extra new injector with me.

So my question is this, are these trucks worth keeping for all the problems that arise of could potentially arise? The idea of a stuck injector taking out the engine blows my mind as well as it does the engine!

Am I over thinking things here? Are these trucks as bad as some say them to be? Does it really come down to a very strict maintenance program to keep them going? I am willing to put forth the effort to take care of the truck but it would seem a big waste of time if say an injector sticks and ruins the motor.

Anyhow, any insights of thoughts are welcomed. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You are over thinking, but we’ve all been there, so don’t worry.

For injectors, the key is upgrading filtration. You need 2 micron filtration on the fuel system. I’d also recommend adding a water separator.

Everything else... every vehicle has its issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

For injectors, the key is upgrading filtration. You need 2 micron filtration on the fuel system. I’d also recommend adding a water separator.

Thanks for the insight. Funny how the human mind works, we are alike in some ways when it comes to concern or worry.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but seems like the majority of people who have stuck injectors are one of two people.

Those who buy cheap junky remans and are determined they are great.

Those who ignore injectors going bad or the truck even getting you warning the injectors are failing and keep on trucking as if nothing happened.

Seems like every time someone says, "I can't afford injectors!" they are soon having to buy a block + injectors LOL.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The factory water separator is actually a fairly decent water separator. Much more important to add a better fuel filter. FYI, the new method to test micron filtration of filters does not test bellow 4 microns. So any filter that claims to be 2 micron is claiming what they can’t prove. Now CAT advanced efficiency filters are 4 micron and the ultra high efficiency filters are beyond 4 micron. This does not apply to the fuel water separators

·
Registered
50 Posts

+1 on upgraded filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the comments.

My intention is to keep the truck as stock as possible. Power upgrades seem to require more upgrades from other components. The previous owner had a triple dog tuner and ran it on the second tune. I put it back on the economy tune. Transmission was gone through 150k ago and I expect that once I have it off for the torque convertor I should go through the trans since it will be out.

I am also planning on running the two stroke oil for extra lubricity.

What clutch packs do you all run?
What do you all think of the BD exhaust manifold for keeping the 5/6 cylinder temps down?
Anyone try the Banks telemetry monitors?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
It’s a solid truck and every truck will have it share of issues. Pay to fix this one up as needed or pay a lot more to own a newer one, only to have to pay more to fix it up later in its life as well. Besides those are fun trucks to play with, plenty of 3rd party support to make your truck great again.

It’s cheaper to keep her, always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
720 Posts
Triple dog was the go-to tuner back then.

Only mod I would do is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XJ4JL7
It adds a filter. This kit is better than others I’ve seen because you keep your stock water separator and WIF light. You just add a CAT 2 mic filter between the cp3 and factory filter bowl.

IMO, leave everything else on the engine stock and upgrade the transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s a solid truck and every truck will have it share of issues. Pay to fix this one up as needed or pay a lot more to own a newer one, only to have to pay more to fix it up later in its life as well. Besides those are fun trucks to play with, plenty of 3rd party support to make your truck great again.

It’s cheaper to keep her, always.

I agree with you. Like a previous comment stated, people do not come on these forums to rave about how good their truck is running or working but to find solutions for problems as the problems crop up. So we really do not get to know how many of these trucks are out there on the road that have had little to no problems.

I am doing the best I can to learn as much as I can about this platform. For one I really like to do my own work and two, I have a hard time trusting others do my work for me. I have been cheated out of parts and money having someone else do work on my cars so I do not want to take that chance. Being that I will be out on the road towing, I want to have a reliable piece of equipment. I hope that hard work, research and maintenance will keep me from breaking down and having to rely on who knows to fix my rig.

That being said, I think I have a decent truck to start with. The previous owner had spent over 6k on the injectors and cp3 about 30k ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Triple dog was the go-to tuner back then.

Only mod I would do is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XJ4JL7
It adds a filter. This kit is better than others I’ve seen because you keep your stock water separator and WIF light. You just add a CAT 2 mic filter between the cp3 and factory filter bowl.

IMO, leave everything else on the engine stock and upgrade the transmission.
Thanks for the link. I had not seen this unit before.

Is there not an advantage to running the fuel filter and water separator like the one from diesel fuel filter kits?

03-12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit

Do you think the extra water filter is just redundant and not necessary?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for the link. I had not seen this unit before.

Is there not an advantage to running the fuel filter and water separator like the one from diesel fuel filter kits?

03-12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit

Do you think the extra water filter is just redundant and not necessary?
Extra water separator does help. Only thing with that kit is that it is a permanent mod to the lines under the cab.

Also, don’t trust the Baldwin filter for the stock housing. With any water in the diesel, it can and will rust the metal core. Ask me how I know...

Bottom line:
If you plan to keep the truck forever, run the filter+separator kit that you posted. After install, just throw a Mopar filter in the stock canister.. It has a plastic housing and will not rust for the years it will be sitting there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Extra water separator does help. Only thing with that kit is that it is a permanent mod to the lines under the cab.

Also, don’t trust the Baldwin filter for the stock housing. With any water in the diesel, it can and will rust the metal core. Ask me how I know...

Bottom line:
If you plan to keep the truck forever, run the filter+separator kit that you posted. After install, just throw a Mopar filter in the stock canister.. It has a plastic housing and will not rust for the years it will be sitting there.
Thank you for the feedback. I did not consider the permanent change to the fuel lines until you mentioned it.

How long did it take for the water filter to begin rusting on your setup? That is one thing these common rails do not need to have running through them!

·
Registered
720 Posts
6-12 months? I’m not sure I remember, but it was found at the normal 15,000 mile interval.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I picked up a 2006 quad cab dually last summer. 280k, one owner, well maintained. Wanted a good tow vehicle and after having owned a 1st gen (amazed with it reliability and ease of maintenance) I decided to get a 3rd gen.

The 3rd gen seemed to me the best of the current trucks because it came with cummins and no emissions. The purpose of the truck was to tow a race car trailer.

My dilemma is this. I worked pretty hard to find a single owner truck that had been well maintained and cared for. Over the past few months, I began to learn of the issues that seem to plague these trucks such as faulty fuel or damaged injectors. Not to mention the host of electronic gremlins that seem to arise over time. I have for the past few weeks been debating over whether or not to keep the truck and just find a chevy or ford gas big block and be done with all this worry.

The truck has 30k old oem injectors and pump. It starts and run excellently. Besides the torque converter or flex plate needing to get replaced, the truck is great. If I decide to keep the truck I will be installing a banks monitor, fuel filter and water separator and carry and extra new injector with me.

So my question is this, are these trucks worth keeping for all the problems that arise of could potentially arise? The idea of a stuck injector taking out the engine blows my mind as well as it does the engine!

Am I over thinking things here? Are these trucks as bad as some say them to be? Does it really come down to a very strict maintenance program to keep them going? I am willing to put forth the effort to take care of the truck but it would seem a big waste of time if say an injector sticks and ruins the motor.

Anyhow, any insights of thoughts are welcomed. Thanks for your time.
Hate to tell you, 15 year old truck does not matter what manufacturer, if you cant repair on your own or afford to have done, going to be issues.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Hate to tell you, 15 year old truck does not matter what manufacturer, if you cant repair on your own or afford to have done, going to be issues.:wink2:

The work I have done on my 08 has been far far far less $ that the cost of a new truck. It will always be like that. Taking good care of the truck will help long term costs too.

Also, I forgot about this fuel filter option. This is what I plan on adding to my 08 since it uses factory mounting on the frame. It says of 03-12 so I assume those mount points are under the truck for the mopar severe duty filter setup

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-4750-trc-billet-high-flow-2-micron-fuel-filterwater-separator-2003-2012-59l67l-dodge-cummins.aspx

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Any of us who are conscientious and knowledgeable about our vehicles....probably know too much and then worry about it. Count me in. But that knowledge will help with knowing when something is an impending repair.
I over analyze things like this too. But when I'm doing 80mph at 2500rpms loaded with the trailer behind, the engine seems pretty reassuring to me.
With the miles you have on it, it's not worth "alot", meaning if the engine required replacement or rebuild, either a deal needs to be had or it's approaching the limit of cost vs benefit to not just dump it with a blown engine. That's the flip of the coin. Sell it and get an old 8.1 Chevy (for about the same $ with less miles), or step up into a much newer truck or down in power to a 6.0 Chevy. LS motors are easy (but $) to mod for more power, but same thing, trans, etc.

Bottom line, nothing is free and aside from a stuck injector taking out a cylinder, your engine should have many more miles in it.

None of this probably helps...lol

2,539 Posts
If you are looking for the perfect truck or vehicle.. good luck.

You can see folks doing this.. Going from GM to Ford to RAM.. Trading in a 2013 for a 2016 for a 2020, etc..

It's an endless chase, tossing tons of dollars, looking for the perfect truck...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts