Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok like an Idiot I did not watch my friend who was helping me change oil in my transfer case
He undid the bolt next to what looks like a solenoid on the bottom of it and the bolt is hollow and a small cap and spring fell out. What is this and how does it go back together.
are those the only parts spring and cap and bolt????

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
parts
part.jpg
part.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So those are the only parts and the pin goes in the hollow bolt or the spring end???

·
Trying to learn
6,242 Posts
The spring end in the bolt if the pin needs to go in 1st.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many quarts of ATF plus 4 does it Hold

Thank You

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok like an Idiot I did not watch my friend who was helping me change oil in my transfer case
He undid the bolt next to what looks like a solenoid on the bottom of it and the bolt is hollow and a small cap and spring fell out. What is this and how does it go back together.
are those the only parts spring and cap and bolt????
I know this has nothing to do with your transmission problem but I see that you are using the 0.5 BBi injectors. Did you use the spray pattern for a 2004.5 to 2007 or the early spray pattern ? Also do you think it helped in your fuel mileage and you have a problem with the smoke and haze ? Your time would be greatly appreciated I need to get injectors and have been debating between 0.1 and 0.5 I just don’t want my truck to be a smoker

·
Registered
324 Posts
How many quarts of ATF plus 4 does it Hold

Thank You

Fill Specs:
Transfer case 2.5 qts ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
Fill Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....15-25 ft-lbs

Source:

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could also do an internet search to see an illustrated parts breakdown to help visualize the reassembly.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Double checking which way it goes in and that these are the only 3 parts
KIMG0971.JPG
KIMG0970.JPG
KIMG0968.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok put it in and spring up fit well went to tighten it up and busted out the threads
Any way to fix This and where is the best place t
KIMG0974.JPG
KIMG0976.JPG
o get a New one its a 273 D
KIMG0974.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I pretty much Know the answer. where can I get a New one or are they all remans?
And if so who is the best to get one from??
Oh and can I still drive it and of course not use 4x4 LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you use an impact gun!?!?!

So that pin keeps the selector in place. In theory the servo motor should hold you in 2wd/4wd/4lo... no promises.

The other issue is now the transfer case is open to atmosphere. i.e. exit your fluid... enter dirt and water.

Normally I would say it’s not hard to rebuild these and the cheapest option would be to replace that front case. But for you I would recommend searching for a replacement from junkyard/LKQ/etc or one of the rebuilds.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Check out Torque King. They sell complete transfer cases and the case housings. Case housings are a lot cheaper....assuming the rest of your T-case is good.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
If rest of t-case is good I would find a hydraulic hose shop bring cap with you get a short/close nipple that fits it , drill tap case for it, even if you have to use reducer bushing should work. Otherwise Torque King.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts