Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this make sense to anyone? Are there '06s from the factory that don't have a cat. I bought it as an '06 from a less than honest place that sells rebuildables. They cooked the computer trying to jump start it in their yard. I trailered it home ordered and installed a used 06 computer for it. It runs and drives fine with no CEL. Bottom line is I'm wondering if they put an earlier model drive train and frame under an 06 cab. I'm not sure if the computer would have a significant impact rolling back to an earlier drivetrain. Could it be from Canada? Any Ideas? The no cat thing has got me confused and I'd like to make sure the drivetrain/frame is actually an '06.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it look like a football?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup it does, and should be right after the downpipe.
Got it. Thanks Jason. I was watching a video of a 6.7L that showed the full exhaust. It had a bunch of sensors and EGR recirc tubes. It had two football like sections. I figured the one that looked similar to our cats was a resonator. Also not having any sensors on my truck's exhaust to measure cat efeciency had me figuring it was a resonator instead of a non-monitored cat. Is there any difference in the factory exhausts between 600s and non-600s?

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all 03 and 04's originally sold in California got a cat and were rated at 235hp... all 03/04's originally sold outside of California did not get a cat.

all 04.5 up trucks were equipped with cats
Good info. Thanks to you too DoD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it. Thanks Jason. I was watching a video of a 6.7L that showed the full exhaust. It had a bunch of sensors and EGR recirc tubes. It had two football like sections. I figured the one that looked similar to our cats was a resonator. Also not having any sensors on my truck's exhaust to measure cat efeciency had me figuring it was a resonator instead of a non-monitored cat. Is there any difference in the factory exhausts between 600s and non-600s?

DoD probably answered my question. The 03-04 non-cats are the non-600s?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,296 Posts
no difference on the cats. lucky for you, your model truck does not
have the dpf / emissions crap like the 6.7's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Its fairly common for cats to be removed on the 5.9. There are no sensors in the exhaust so the ECU doesn't care. Mine is taking a cat nap in the attic.

As for the exhaust, the 600's are 4" from the turbo to the tailpipe with a cat between the muffler and the turbo. The 03-04's are 3.5" from the turbo to the muffler, and 4" from the muffler back. California editions were the only ones with cat's in 03-04.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Its fairly common for cats to be removed on the 5.9. There are no sensors in the exhaust so the ECU doesn't care. Mine is taking a cat nap in the attic.

As for the exhaust, the 600's are 4" from the turbo to the tailpipe with a cat between the muffler and the turbo. The 03-04's are 3.5" from the turbo to the muffler, and 4" from the muffler back. California editions were the only ones with cat's in 03-04.
Thanks for the info gents.....

AH64, how'd you get the military member tag in your avatar area? I took a quick look in my profile options and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I still have the cat on my truck. Do they have honeycomb in them like gas vehicles? Does anyone just gut them so it looks like it is still there?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,296 Posts
yes they are honeycombed. i've read
a few folks gutting them and reinstalling
and that it caused quite a bit of drone.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
yes they are honeycombed. i've read
a few folks gutting them and reinstalling
and that it caused quite a bit of drone.
I did that on a gasser once, I HATED it. It was a tinny drone, horrible sounding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts