Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 5.9 thinking time for new truck...wanna make sure I'm upgrading tho

·
Registered
896 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 6.7, especially in CA.

6.7's need the DPF and EGR taken off to run decent, and after the truck is a few (I forget exactly) years old you will need to have it smogged so have to put all that stuff back on.

Just my opinion..... Then again I tend to like the older trucks better.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Definately get a new truck.. You only live once and ya might as well have air conditioned seats & back up camera. The 2013 are gonna have the Urea system in them, people that say the emissions on the 6.7 are bad now have no idea..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Use the money you would spend every month on truck payments and build the 06 until you get what you want, or just let it sit as a yard ornament and buy the new truck.

My 06 5.9 only has like 11k on it and has a nice camo layer of dirt, I don't even know its there half the time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id trade it in for.sure...note.my tranny.is slipping.quite a.bit an I owe 5 still so I gotta put.another 10k easy into.this truck.......thats whats making.payments for.a.new truck.seem more logical

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
id trade it in for.sure...note.my tranny.is slipping.quite a.bit an I owe 5 still so I gotta put.another 10k easy into.this truck.......thats whats making.payments for.a.new truck.seem more logical

Build your truck our start over again........ If u buy a new truck better keep it stock... Don't go putting on a programmer and deleting everything(defeats the porpuse of why your getting a new truck) ... And be in the same boat you are in now and 20g to still pay off :thumbsup: JMO so if you do buy the new truck sleep it stock ! And I know you like going fast soooooo keep your truck now...... I would go buy a new truck but my truck will never see anyone besides me... Will be keeping her.... Mabe buy a newer truck in a year put some rims an tires and keep it stock :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
An it's not like your makeing a fully built truck.... You changeing from a 5.9 to a 6.7 won't effect you :thumbsup: IMO

Also good idea posting it in the Cali section if you posted it any where else.... People would just bash and say use the search function

Or say click here
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/search.php

Lol sometimes I don't feel like searching for 10 hours when nothing ever gets to the point lol

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An it's not like your makeing a fully built truck.... You changeing from a 5.9 to a 6.7 won't effect you :thumbsup: IMO
thats the thing...i dont.have money to.drop.on.new tranny.new turbo :mad: otherwize I would never think about it.....cheaper to have a reliable truck with payments than having to drop.big.chucnks.at once

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
thats the thing...i dont.have money to.drop.on.new tranny.new turbo :mad: otherwize I would never think about it.....cheaper to have a reliable truck with payments than having to drop.big.chucnks.at once

If you buy new truck keep it stock. Keep your warranty :thumbsup:

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
thats the thing...i dont.have money to.drop.on.new tranny.new turbo :mad:
But you still have 40k+ for a new truck?:confused013:

If you're happy with the 06, keep it and get a trans and whatever else you want. You could drop 20k on it and still be less than a new truck, right?

At that point, reliability may be an issue, so...you have anything to drive if/when it breaks down? And can you access money to fix it when it does? If not, pony up big time and keep the new truck stock. The new trucks seem to really be pretty decent in terms of not having problems

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But you still have 40k+ for a new truck?:confused013:

If you're happy with the 06, keep it and get a trans and whatever else you want. You could drop 20k on it and still be less than a new truck, right?

At that point, reliability may be an issue, so...you have anything to drive if/when it breaks down? And can you access money to fix it when it does? If not, pony up big time and keep the new truck stock. The new trucks seem to really be pretty decent in terms of not having problems
20,000 over 5 years is easier than 6 now

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Keep your current truck. 07 and newer in Cali have stricter smog regulations. 6.7s have worse fuel economy and performance parts aren't as readily available

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
you dont need a fully built trans and stock turbos are a dime a dozen hell i had 3 in the garage at one point along with a silver 62 and 66 and your interest payments on the new truck alone would be more then what it would cost to fix the one you have now. plus the 5.9 is far more reliable when you decide to build it and allot cheaper

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you dont need a fully built trans and stock turbos are a dime a dozen hell i had 3 in the garage at one point along with a silver 62 and 66 and your interest payments on the new truck alone would be more then what it would cost to fix the one you have now. plus the 5.9 is far more reliable when you decide to build it and allot cheaper
Thanks for the info guys I'm glad I have you guys to ask saved me from a mistake sounds like I do like my 5.9 I'm average 19_22mpg :Dan was looking at people sayin new trucks 12_15:banghead:

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i almost tried to buy a quad cab DRW 4x4 long bed with a 6speed 05.5.. :drool2: but it was already sold lol
You need save for wedding ha

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks for the info guys I'm glad I have you guys to ask saved me from a mistake sounds like I do like my 5.9 I'm average 19_22mpg :Dan was looking at people sayin new trucks 12_15:banghead:
Glad you saw the light lol.

That '06 you have is a nice truck, better spend a little bit of money on that than a lot more on a newer truck that's not any better.

And all that borrowed money is money that you will have to pay back eventually.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you saw the light lol.

That '06 you have is a nice truck, better spend a little bit of money on that than a lot more on a newer truck that's not any better.

And all that borrowed money is money that you will have to pay back eventually.
True and true ha I did a lot more research and came to see that ha ...it's has treated me well so far

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
im telling you man in my opinion the 06 is the best truck on the market it has all the advantages of the new ones ie bugs worked out and its right before the carb and smog ppl got ahold of diesels. u dont have to remove a dpf the engine is a monster when built and no matter the year you buy you will need a tranny in the long run. plus the 06 has a year or two of efi live being on the market and getting all the bugs worked out and tunes wrote and proven. i love my 06 would not trade it unless it was for a mega dually but i dont really need a dually

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im telling you man in my opinion the 06 is the best truck on the market it has all the advantages of the new ones ie bugs worked out and its right before the carb and smog ppl got ahold of diesels. u dont have to remove a dpf the engine is a monster when built and no matter the year you buy you will need a tranny in the long run. plus the 06 has a year or two of efi live being on the market and getting all the bugs worked out and tunes wrote and proven. i love my 06 would not trade it unless it was for a mega dually but i dont really need a dually
Hahaha was thinkin same think mega dually but came to same conclusion I really don't need it ..... Efi live is soon after tranny upgrade
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.